PDA

View Full Version : Changing the air in your tyres

mccool
8th August 2004, 18:20
Agree with all the stuff in the other thread about how important the right tyre pressure is. But how often do you change the air in them completely? I reckon air thats stuck in a tyre for a long time gets over-compressed and looses its pnumatic qualities. I'm gonna let the air out of my tyres and pump them up again and I'll report back on the difference. Or maybe I'll wait til I'm tuning the hydrocilator and do it then.

wkid_one
8th August 2004, 18:26
Personally - I wouldn't bother and IMHO you would be wasting your time.

Just make sure the pressures are constant and ride it. I don't think you would notice ANY material difference whatsoever in replacing the air entirely.

Each to their own tho - and if you have the time go for your life.

toads
8th August 2004, 19:29

Just make sure the pressures are constant and ride it. I don't think you would notice ANY material difference whatsoever in replacing the air entirely.

Each to their own tho - and if you have the time go for your life.

good 1 wkid don't spose you have tried putting helium in yours by any chance, better power-weight ratio and all that

What?
8th August 2004, 19:49
...how often do you change the air in them completely? I reckon air thats stuck in a tyre for a long time gets over-compressed and looses its pnumatic qualities...
I thunk that once, but found that just turning it over works well. This is best achieved by spinning the wheels at high speed for a few hours. This can be done by riding the bike, and is less energetic than doing it in the garage.

marty
8th August 2004, 21:11
it's actually the oxygen in the air that lets you (and your tyre) down. the oxygen molecules are smaller than the nitrogen ones, and they escape through the imperfect rubberised container that is your tyre, leaving you with a nitrogen/co2 rich mix (so don't go using it for breathing now :msn-wink:

pete376403
8th August 2004, 21:55
Filling tyres with nitrogen is a recognised method of reducing tyre temperatures. Maybe not what bikes want, but certainly used in trucking applications.

Also, I have often wondered if there would be a market for importing cans of compressed Milwaukee air (complete with smog) for those Harley riders who want to keep their bikes absolutely 100% genuine. (Must be a bummer having to import oil and gas from the US, though :rolleyes: )

DEATH_INC.
8th August 2004, 22:01
Nitrogen is also less affected by heat,therefore doesn't alter the pressure(as much) when the tyre heats up/cools down....
There's a couple of places offering it for cages now....

James Deuce
8th August 2004, 22:20
Have a look at Mangell's Wellington Ride report to see my mate Snuffles "unique" attempt at replacing the air in his front tyre.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=4402

scumdog
9th August 2004, 00:57
Nitrogen is also less affected by heat,therefore doesn't alter the pressure(as much) when the tyre heats up/cools down....
There's a couple of places offering it for cages now....

In the 1970's it was all the rage and a lot of "gargres" had nitrogen filling facilities, I guess Joe Slobb don't give a fat rats arse if his tyre are over/under inflated, as long as they ain't flat and he don't have to pump them up/change them he's happy. :spudwhat:

Paul in NZ
9th August 2004, 10:27
I still have the original factory air in my tyres.

It's expensive to get it shipped in from Italy and getting harder to find NOS air but worth it for originality I reckon!

Paul N

Hitcher
9th August 2004, 10:46
Agree with all the stuff in the other thread about how important the right tyre pressure is. But how often do you change the air in them completely? I reckon air thats stuck in a tyre for a long time gets over-compressed and looses its pnumatic qualities. I'm gonna let the air out of my tyres and pump them up again and I'll report back on the difference. Or maybe I'll wait til I'm tuning the hydrocilator and do it then.
Please tell me you're not serious??!! Keep that hydrocilator securely locked in your gargre. [Will now mop up spilt coffee]

jrandom
9th August 2004, 10:50

:first: And that's the *Whoosh* Prize of the year going to wkid_one. :first:

Speech! Speech!

AMPS
9th August 2004, 10:58
We've just received a shipment of 'Race Air', from the Beehive. Guaranteed to inflate anything beyond reason and being hot it doubles as a tyre warmer.
Lou

Paul in NZ
9th August 2004, 11:10
Typical of an Aucklander to play the race card....

:killingme

I'm just trying to get my head around a city that has John Banks as Mayor needing to import hot air???

:not:

Paul N

FROSTY
9th August 2004, 11:35
I'm lucky enough to have a freind that imports air from the various ractracks arount the world.
A particular favorite seems to be IOM air -distinctive because of the hint of four leaf clovers and recycled irish beer.
Another favorite is Monaco air but some people can't get over the hint of old money and expensive wine it leaves if you overfill

greenhorn
9th August 2004, 11:48
Carefull what part of the world you get your imported air from. As everyone knows air has a magnetic field, and air imported from the northern hemisphere has a tendency to polarise itself and attract back to the North pole. This is great when travelling in a northerly direction but as soon as you want to head in a southerly direction the magnetic field being opposite to the polarisation of the south pole reduces performance.

Kickaha
9th August 2004, 12:01
Or maybe I'll wait til I'm tuning the hydrocilator and do it then.

I got all excited today as I thought I'd found myself a hydrocilator and couldn't wait to pull it to peices to see how it worked,but unfortunately it turned out to be a hydrocollator which isn't even close to being the same thing.

scumdog
9th August 2004, 12:46
There's enough hot air in this thread to inflate every tyre in the Air New Zealalnd fleet!!! :killingme

scumdog
9th August 2004, 12:51
I got all excited today as I thought I'd found myself a hydrocilator and couldn't wait to pull it to peices to see how it worked,but unfortunately it turned out to be a hydrocollator which isn't even close to being the same thing.

Made the same mistake myself when I got one to attach to my velocitator, turns out they gave my a hydrocollator which everybody just knows is meant for fitting to a decellatrix eh, dopey guys at "Flux-capacitors'R'Us" should have known I needed a hydrocilator!

scumdog
9th August 2004, 12:54
Carefull what part of the world you get your imported air from. As everyone knows air has a magnetic field, and air imported from the northern hemisphere has a tendency to polarise itself and attract back to the North pole. This is great when travelling in a northerly direction but as soon as you want to head in a southerly direction the magnetic field being opposite to the polarisation of the south pole reduces performance.

Ah, so thats why the time to ride to and from the pub on the same route is never the same? :confused2

FROSTY
9th August 2004, 12:56
Ohh of course--I'da thought that went without saying-LTSA regulation-542/154:depair covers that one off.
All imported air is to be depolarised to ltsa standards.
Of course I can't speak for the black market air that is being smuggled in from certain asian countries.
I was told -shock horror that one of the Jap triads was smuggling air in from japan --of all places -in the tyres of jap import cars.
To ensure we have nothing to do with this illicit trace we have air samples taken from all tyres from other car yards sent to the LTSA

Firefight
9th August 2004, 14:53
There's enough hot air in this thread to inflate every tyre in the Air New Zealalnd fleet!!! :killingme

Hey SD, I will try and bet Marty to this, Commercail aircraft in NZ use Nitrogen to inflate there tyres. But I guess :whocares: .

F/F :wacko:

FROSTY
9th August 2004, 16:04
ahh FF but did you hear about the 747 that stopped and asked the pump attendant to...... Ahh never mind.

mccool
9th August 2004, 17:32
Thanks for all the brilliant suggestions everyone. I will have hours and hours of experimenting fun. I might try mixing two gases of different densities so the heavy one forms a 'pool' in the bottom of the tyre. That would lower the centre of gravity of the bike and bulge out the bottom of the tyre so the contact patch is increased.

Gixxer 4 ever
9th August 2004, 18:30
Filling tyres with nitrogen is a recognised method of reducing tyre temperatures. Maybe not what bikes want, but certainly used in trucking applications.

Also, I have often wondered if there would be a market for importing cans of compressed Milwaukee air (complete with smog) for those Harley riders who want to keep their bikes absolutely 100% genuine. (Must be a bummer having to import oil and gas from the US, though :rolleyes: ) :killingme :killingme :killingme :killingme :killingme

Gixxer 4 ever
9th August 2004, 18:40
We've just received a shipment of 'Race Air', from the Beehive. Guaranteed to inflate anything beyond reason and being hot it doubles as a tyre warmer.
LouYea but would you put it any where near your bike??? :sick: I think not.
May be that's why the motorcade goes so fast ???????????? :lol: Hmmmmm you stole that load of hot air didn't you? :love2:

What?
9th August 2004, 19:20
...but unfortunately it turned out to be a hydrocollator which isn't even close to being the same thing.
You mean it is a bucket. :wacko:

Kickaha
9th August 2004, 19:47
You mean it is a bucket. :wacko:

Nup a hot water/steamy water thingy at the physio clinc

http://www.wisdomking.com/product133221c175054.html

riffer
9th August 2004, 20:32

Nah mate, this is what you need:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2140

Stinkwheeler
9th August 2004, 21:10
Bottom line: DON'T BOTHER :done:

marty
10th August 2004, 13:11
only pure nitrogen in those babies dog....

What?
10th August 2004, 19:37

Aah. Silly me. I was thinking of an Aquacollator (a device for collating aqua) :beer: