PDA

View Full Version : What a dry and happening day (Wgtn ride)

mangell6
8th August 2004, 19:58
Well Jim2 organised a ride at a 'respectable' hour, meet at Rimutaka Caltex at 10:15 and go for a ride, destination to be determined.

So after arriving late, as I live close by, it is decided to travel straight to Masterton (SH2 oh dear) and then Pongaroa, Mungamarie(sp), the track and home. A nice jaunt as a few hadn't been across these roads and others would like to get reacquainted with them again.

After the slow trip through to Masterton and the compulsory Ducati petrol stop a change of plans occured. It was plainly obvious that the rain (snow) clouds that were building rapidly along the hills and points north and as Paihiatua is renown for its weather, Castlepoint became the new destination.

Those that are familiar with this road will know that the road to the Riversdale turnoff is fast and twisty, not too much green on the road and wet patches where you would expect them. It was great fun.

At the turnoff there was a very large "Caution" sign, there is logging operations on the road, taking out trees near and on the side of the road. This lead to some 30kmh pieces and the 'happening' of the day. After some lovely 90km corners a short straight and a 100kmh sign, we came to a well banked right that leads into a sweeping left. On the line out of the corner was a 'rough' patch, which upset everyones line, immediately followed by eight potholes. The first pot hole was rather large, two of us went inside and the others on the outside. The outside people were treated to a zigzag of potholes with the option of crossing the centre line being the best way to avoid them. Snuffles didn't make the centre line and as it was his first time on the road he avoided the first two and HIT the third and carried on riding into the left corner. Why the detail here, see the pictures!

The rest of the ride was uneventful even though there was a lot of dirt on the road as a result of the tree (not rider) felling for five or so kilometres. The shop still had breakfast on the menu even though it was after 10:30, this was duly commented on comparing the time to some franchise establishment that does not ever server breakfast after 10:30.

After the compulsory tour of Castlepoint and noting the lack of sand we had the final pit stop and noticed Snuffles front rim was not as it should be. There was a great big dent in the left rim of the front wheel, what the #$#%!!!!! The usual how, what, and when to obtain details and the how does the bike handle - no different - do you have insurance - yes I do - thats good. Slow ride back home then, tyre could be deflated - doesn't seen to be.

Now Jim2 offered to be the tail man as he was lead on the way out. Check out the photo of the two strips on his rear tyre, the outside being the trip to CastlePoint and the 'inner' being the casual make sure that everyone is OK trip back.

At Masterton we all decided that a nice leasuirely ride back would be great, that lasted between the two bottoms of the Rimas and then it was home. Jim2 and I called around to see CelticNo6, saw that he had left his bike out and dissappeared with two wives and three kids.

Well it was the first ride since I had that damn flu, feeling a little weary after the ride but well pleased.

Mike

Two Smoker
8th August 2004, 20:09
Awesoem guys, lucky that you had good weather lol....... MAN that is a hefty dent :wacko: must have hit with a hell of a bang.....

James Deuce
8th August 2004, 21:53
Snuffles didn't even reckon it felt like a big bang, and he sure didn't notice any change in handling, directional stability, or even a vibration. Weird. I couldn't believe that front tyre could hold any air with bead exposed like that.

Still a cool day thouhg, but I always feel bummed when someone has to spend money to fix their bike after a ride I organised. I'm thrilled he didn't fall off.

loosebruce
8th August 2004, 22:19
Man i miss welly sometimes, glad you guys had a good day's ride and a dry one at that, love the rima's to bits, think a trip back down there is in order very soon, it would've been nice to post some pics of our ride, would've looked something like a fish tank at kelly tarltons.

LB
9th August 2004, 06:02
Saw Paul waiting for you at Caltex in the mng, and also was at the top of the hill when you guys were heading back home - have put a "sunday on the hill" thread - not nearly as eloquent as your mangell6.

Glad all ended well after the potholes.

Jim2 - did Paul ask to see your wee willy?

James Deuce
9th August 2004, 07:40
Saw Paul waiting for you at Caltex in the mng, and also was at the top of the hill when you guys were heading back home - have put a "sunday on the hill" thread - not nearly as eloquent as your mangell6.

Glad all ended well after the potholes.

Jim2 - did Paul ask to see your wee willy?

Not only has he seen my Wee Willy, he uses it constantly, and I wish he would get his own!

Hitcher
9th August 2004, 10:53
Saturday was certainly a nice day over the hill. The weather was noticeably warmer and Mrs H and I did a "lambing beat" around the back roads through Martinborough, Gladstone, Masterton, etc, before the drag back home down SH2.

30,000km clicked over on the Zrex. That's 24,000km since November, and 9,000km on the Roadtec Z6s -- which look like they've got a few thousand more km in them yet!

Paul in NZ
9th August 2004, 11:13
I'll bet the Guzzi rims would not buckle like that...

Shatter probably...

But seriously... Is this common on new bikes? Can it be fixed??? Or replaced, if replaced, how much???

Paul N

defbringa
9th August 2004, 14:33
It didnt hurt that much, just cant feel my wrisits today(snuffles)

defbringa
10th August 2004, 12:12
I'll bet the Guzzi rims would not buckle like that...

Shatter probably...

But seriously... Is this common on new bikes? Can it be fixed??? Or replaced, if replaced, how much???

Paul N

Got a tentative cost of $3700.00 to do rims, tyres and new seals in front forks. :( :( :(

defbringa
10th August 2004, 12:14
Not only has he seen my Wee Willy, he uses it constantly, and I wish he would get his own!

Hey, I dont need your Wee Willy, I got a large can of pledge( take that whatever way you want)

James Deuce
10th August 2004, 12:49
Got a tentative cost of $3700.00 to do rims, tyres and new seals in front forks. :( :( :(

Contact Malcolm Kirby at Econohonda.

http://www.econohonda.co.nz/

His quotes are usually in the region of 50% of OEM parts. He also knows alternatives that are safe and work with the stock bits like sprocket carrier and disk carriers.

Hitcher
10th August 2004, 12:51
Shit that's expensive! What the hell sort of rims are those?

Pickle
10th August 2004, 20:44
Go and see John Boyle at Boyle Kawasaki he used to have a mate who fixed wheels, did a good job at a reasonable cost. Gary McPhee was the name.

At $3700 it might be cheaper to buy a new wheel or check out wreckers, recommend Victoria Motorcycle Wreckers in Melbourne good blokes who know their bikes.

mangell6
10th August 2004, 21:10
Shit that's expensive! What the hell sort of rims are those?

Honda rims - Gives one a good reaming

James Deuce
10th August 2004, 21:13
Go and see John Boyle at Boyle Kawasaki he used to have a mate who fixed wheels, did a good job at a reasonable cost. Gary McPhee was the name.

At $3700 it might be cheaper to buy a new wheel or check out wreckers, recommend Victoria Motorcycle Wreckers in Melbourne good blokes who know their bikes.

The front ain't fixable and the rear is marginal. I sure as hell wouldn't ride on those rims once they'd been "fixed".

$3700 IS new wheel prices.

Zapf
10th August 2004, 21:35
I don't know how different bike rims are to car rims. But there is an outfit called Arrow wheels who does (makes) and repair lots of race / custom wheels for cars, they might be worth a try.

mangell6
10th August 2004, 22:05
Snuffles could buy another bike for that sort of money, ask Kickaha, he got a really good deal.

Mooch
13th August 2004, 17:52

F ruck , I thought that Ducati parts were expensive , Surely you doing this as insurance ?.

mooch

James Deuce
16th August 2004, 11:57
Got some good news from defbringa/snuffles today:

"Jim,

Get bike back on Tuesday, $1850 to rplace both rims tyres and rebuild front shocks, not bad eh?"

That's more like it. Sawyers sometimes do good stuff, eh? :)