PDA

View Full Version : Wireless router

The Pastor
13th February 2007, 19:59
Gidday

My old man is wanting to put his adsl on a wireless network (so you can connect any where in the house) what hardwhere do we need? and can you plz give some good reviews etc

I imagne he would need an wireless router.... adsl plugs into that and that sends it around the house and to the neighbours.

Also if somone could tell me how to stop other people using our wireless network it would be cool.

Mumbles
13th February 2007, 20:06
No doubt you'll get the run down from all the tech guys here... I got one from telecum :mellow: run it with the laptop, had no problems makes the very slow internet fun around the house with no cable's just like i'm doing now in front of the tv.

Best thing we ever did. good luck with the set up info

Gremlin
13th February 2007, 20:10
http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=MODDYN1025W

we use that for our home clients, not very gui configs, but I hate those (the ones that come free with new connections). set up 128bit wep, SSID, passphrase, config on all clients accessing, and you should be away laughing...

before doing any of this, make sure you have the dsl account name and password, to enter into new router. Once its completely set up, if you don't need any more clients (computers) accessing, then you can turn off the broadcast of the SSID, to make it that little bit more secure.

Basic setup

Wireless router
pcmcia card or pci card for laptop / pc respectively (if they're not already inbuilt)

That's it for kit. In terms of security, WPA security, it'll have instructions with the router on how to set this up for your specific kit. Opinions are divided, but I'll usually buy all one brand, i.e. Belkin for both the wireless router and the pcmcia cards...

Dafe
13th February 2007, 20:20
Don't buy D-Link.

Heaps of them are having random signal drop problems.

jaybee
13th February 2007, 20:22
i have a netgear, laptop had a wireless connection built into it, so just required the wireless router, you create a security code, which you will need to write down and stash somewhere that security key becomes the only way to acess your router and get to the internet, i have a spare wirless ADSL router if you wanna take it for a spin and if you like it you cna purchase it, if not return it , le me know

paturoa
13th February 2007, 21:24
If you already have an adsl modem, then you can get a wireless access point / WAP, preferably with inbuilt ethernet switch say 4 ports.

If you don't, then get a combo modem WAP.

Check out www.pricespy.co.nz for prices.

For PCs get PCI cards and for laptops (if not already inbuilt PCMCIA cards)

To stop others using your network all waps have security features. WEP, WPA and Mac fitlers are the most common. Basicaly they restrict who can connect and encrypt the signals.

Wasp
13th February 2007, 22:19
Don't buy D-Link.

Heaps of them are having random signal drop problems.
um, really?? the one stonechucker gave me goes fine?!

Dai
13th February 2007, 22:34
When setting up the access points have them authenticate by MAC address.
WPA is good but implementing MAC filtering adds that litle bit more security to your network.

Open wireless networks are just aching for someone to use.

Most new laptops have wireless built in. If you are setting up a PC then you will need a wireless card for each.

Wireless is pretty good but walls do interfere with the signal. As do microwave ovens (same bandwidth range), watch out for bluetooth devices as they again use the same bandwidth.

Been running wireless networks for 6 years now. It has been fun watching the advances in technology.

Gremlin
13th February 2007, 22:41
Wireless is pretty good but walls do interfere with the signal. As do microwave ovens (same bandwidth range), watch out for bluetooth devices as they again use the same bandwidth.
Some cordless phones can also operate on the same band, 2.48xx something or other...

D-Link and Netgear are normally ones to avoid, then it comes down to specific models, some items are made by someone else, then rebranded.

Another thing you should probably consider is how much hands on admin of the network you want, stuff like logging, port re-direction, control of ports etc. If you do want advanced stuff like that, then check, as obviously the low end stuff well... its at the bottom for a reason.

xwhatsit
13th February 2007, 22:42
um, really?? the one stonechucker gave me goes fine?!

Yeah... I've a D-Link router too, most of the time it's good, but from time to time it'll toast itself when it's really heavily loaded for a long period. Then again, most other models are fine, and I have heard of the odd absolutely useless router, but usually these types of things are fixable via firmware updates. For hassle-free routing (no wireless experience with them, though), go Linksys.

I still think the best routers around are the Microsoft routers (don't think they're made any more) -- which sounds odd coming from a Linux user, but MS have always tended to make quite nice hardware (mouses, keyboards etc.). Strange that for a software company, their software is shit and their hardware is great? Do they outsource their hardware?

Wasp
13th February 2007, 22:45
yea... but seriously the only problems i've had with it is when the adsl is dropped but thats telescums fault not its and its one of the best routers at reconnecting ive ever had

The Pastor
14th February 2007, 06:37
http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=MODDYN1025W

we use that for our home clients, not very gui configs, but I hate those (the ones that come free with new connections). set up 128bit wep, SSID, passphrase, config on all clients accessing, and you should be away laughing...

before doing any of this, make sure you have the dsl account name and password, to enter into new router. Once its completely set up, if you don't need any more clients (computers) accessing, then you can turn off the broadcast of the SSID, to make it that little bit more secure.

Thanks for your (and everyones) input mate.

The link you gave here, does that have the adsl modem in it? (not a wireless internet modem...)

That link looks awesome becuase it says I can connect other computers with cable as well as having wireless (only the laptop needs wireless at this stage).

bull
14th February 2007, 07:00
I use one of these at home http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=113527
Im currently on Telstra so my Cable feeds direct to the wireless router then i link it out to a network switch also, runs laptop wireless and rest of hte house on cables.
When i was on Telecom i had the phone line into the telecom provided router and then the network cable from wireless router to the telecom router, this gave me the same result as i have now.
Linksys decent brand and have had no issues with mine. I use WPA and pre shared key option to secure but i also leave the SSID advertised so that any new pcs into my house can detect then i can provide the key.
We use the same Linksys Router at work and have had no problems there either.

jrandom
14th February 2007, 09:39
Linksys gear is made by Cisco and is top-notch. Works a treat every time.

D-Link is horrid shite with firmware written in China. If you don't know what that implies, then just trust me and don't buy anything with that brand on it. Their combo routers/wireless APs just don't work properly. I kid you not.

I recommend Netgear. A bit cheaper than Linksys, but just as reliable.

The OP needs a Netgear DG834G (combo ADSL modem, firewall, four-port Ethernet switch and 802.11b/g AP). Noel Leeming have them on sale for $100 at the moment. I've used one myself for the last 4 years without a single problem, and know at least four other guys who use the same model for their home network.

The Pastor
14th February 2007, 16:01
By d-link do you guys mean dynalink?

Back when I had 56k i HATED dynalink. Then I got a adsl router (only can connect one computer) and its pretty awesome every now and again It doesnt work but i think its my isp rather than the router. And its easy as to use.

GR81
14th February 2007, 16:21
By d-link do you guys mean dynalink?
different brands, different companies.

Gremlin
14th February 2007, 23:34
The link you gave here, does that have the adsl modem in it? (not a wireless internet modem...)
yeup, you plug the dsl line into it, and can connect computers to it via the ports (ethernet - thats the switch part in the description) or wirelessly. Its a all in one unit.

That link looks awesome becuase it says I can connect other computers with cable as well as having wireless (only the laptop needs wireless at this stage).
yeup... :yes: wonder why we use it eh? For more than 4 computers, you will need to look at options for switches... unless you go up the range... I think there might be stuff with more than 4 ports... but thats the most common, when its not 1 port.

GR81 is correct, completely different companies.

GR81
15th February 2007, 06:22
network swtiches are cheap as these days. even gigabit switches are slowly coming down in price.

ur looking at about $30+ gst +/- for a 8port 10/100 switch.. peanuts!