PDA

View Full Version : A Yank, a bike and no clue.

foilrat
13th February 2007, 21:21
Well, not entirely no clue, but mostly no clue. Mostly.

So, MackTheKnife has, out of either sheer idiocy, or the kindness of his heart (ya'll can decide) directed me here and suggested I ask for, well, suggestions. Oh, and he did manage to get some decent curry into me as well as some good Galbraiths beer. Not all of us drink that yellowpisswater girlybeer called Bud. :sick:

I'll be heading out of Auckland and working my way down to Wellington via Coromandel and Lake Taupo, and then for some quality time on the South Island.

Any suggestions? Roads, routes, pubs, places to stay (or not to stay) pretty much anything. I've got some ideas, but guide books have nothing on those that actually know the area.

I really appreciate your time and anything feel like telling me!

thanks,

david/foilrat

p.s. I'm also foilrat on st-owners.com...(I'm quite creative, too!) (tui!)

p.p.s. I didn't vote for the idiot either, so don't blame him on me. :doh:

NighthawkNZ
13th February 2007, 22:02
Well, not entirely no clue, but mostly no clue. Mostly.

So, MackTheKnife has, out of either sheer idiocy, or the kindness of his heart (ya'll can decide) directed me here and suggested I ask for, well, suggestions. Oh, and he did manage to get some decent curry into me as well as some good Galbraiths beer. Not all of us drink that yellowpisswater girlybeer called Bud. :sick:

I'll be heading out of Auckland and working my way down to Wellington via Coromandel and Lake Taupo, and then for some quality time on the South Island.

Any suggestions? Roads, routes, pubs, places to stay (or not to stay) pretty much anything. I've got some ideas, but guide books have nothing on those that actually know the area.

I really appreciate your time and anything feel like telling me!

thanks,

david/foilrat

p.s. I'm also foilrat on st-owners.com...(I'm quite creative, too!) (tui!)

p.p.s. I didn't vote for the idiot either, so don't blame him on me. :doh:

Welcome to the site, and hope you enjoy your stay...

Well the when you get to the south island you have to do the west coast, thats just a must... then some of the passes ie; aurthers Lewis, Lindis passes

Also are you after scenery or great rides and/or both :doh: Seal or unseal roads? sightes or cities... nite clubs or country pubs... :scratch: how long are you going to be here?

Waylander
13th February 2007, 22:10
When you do the Coro, come through Tauranga on a thursday. Few of us around here know some good roads to ride plus some go for a short blat at 5:30pm then come back to town and meet the rest at a local pub.

Be good to have another american around for a little while.

The_Dover
13th February 2007, 22:14
fuck me, I thought this was thread about Gaylander.

but he's canadian.

Waylander
13th February 2007, 22:20
fuck me, I thought this was thread about Gaylander.

but he's canadian.
Foilrat, let me introduce you to my unwanted pet rat.

For some fucking reason it follows me around.

Macktheknife
14th February 2007, 00:43
This would have to be one of the nicest blokes I have met for a while, especially for an American! lol
He will be blatting around NZ for about 3 weeks, and he has a date in Wgtn in a couple of days time, and hopes to include most of the South Island and the North. Could be pushing it but what the hell.
He has been warned about what total bastards we all are, and how we will insist that he tries most, if not all local brews as he goes about the place, and he has decided to suffer this rite of passage with as much dignity as he can manage.
I have contact details if anyone wants to offer him a bed for the night or similar. He will also be checking in every couple of days to read the posts.
Look out for him, he is not a bad bugger!
Mack

foilrat
17th February 2007, 16:55
Welcome to the site, and hope you enjoy your stay...

Well the when you get to the south island you have to do the west coast, thats just a must... then some of the passes ie; aurthers Lewis, Lindis passes

Also are you after scenery or great rides and/or both :doh: Seal or unseal roads? sightes or cities... nite clubs or country pubs... :scratch: how long are you going to be here?

Excellent! I'll be heading to the S.Island on the Monday ferry out of Wgtn. I'm planning on heading over to Picton and then eating mussels, swinging down the west coast, arthurs pass and then I dunno.

Scenery and rides.

I've just done the Lakes, the Desert Road (glad I wasn't in a hurry: three cops) and some of the roads to the east of that down into Martinborough and then over the pass to Wgtn. Damn trucks and some rain ruined that one. Or perhaps kept me sane enough to survive that one.

I'm more into country pubs with good beer, good food and good conversation. If any of you know Mack, you'll know I'm starved for it! :laugh:

david/foilrat

foilrat
17th February 2007, 16:56
Foilrat, let me introduce you to my unwanted pet rat.

For some fucking reason it follows me around.

curiosity to see what will happen?

foilrat
17th February 2007, 16:58
When you do the Coro, come through Tauranga on a thursday. Few of us around here know some good roads to ride plus some go for a short blat at 5:30pm then come back to town and meet the rest at a local pub.

Be good to have another american around for a little while.

AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!

This would be the problem with not enough time. I just missed ya'll.

Sorry. Would have been a blast. Coro was gorgeous and the roads were like a 14 year old: just calling you to do something illegal.

Which may or may not have occurred.

heh.

david/foilrat

Macktheknife
23rd February 2007, 10:27
Has anyone run into this bugger yet???

crashe
23rd February 2007, 10:33
Has anyone run into this bugger yet???

Hopefully not literally........... :whistle:

Want to keep him up on two wheels.......

Naki Rat
23rd February 2007, 10:38
[QUOTE=foilrat;941024]Excellent! I'll be heading to the S.Island on the Monday ferry out of Wgtn. I'm planning on heading over to Picton and then eating mussels, swinging down the west coast, arthurs pass and then I dunno.

On the main road south from Nelson, a few kms south of Wakefield and on the way to the West Coast, is the Belgrove Tavern. Good place to sample a few of the local beers and meet local and passing through bikers. :scooter: :drinknsin

Macktheknife
23rd February 2007, 10:45
[QUOTE=Naki
On the main road south from Nelson, a few kms south of Wakefield and on the way to the West Coast, is the Belgrove Tavern. Good place to sample a few of the local beers and meet local and passing through bikers. :scooter: :drinknsin[/QUOTE]

I think he is well past that point now, last I heard he was somewhere near Hokitika, but that was a couple of days ago.
Crashe, exactly, run into, like in a bar, not run over!

foilrat
23rd February 2007, 11:39
Hopefully not literally........... :whistle:

Want to keep him up on two wheels.......

So the funny part is that I finally put the damn thing down.

I was stopped. With the kick stand down. Lordy. The 1150RT leans quite far over and I hadn't considered that as I stopped to look at a map. The camber of the road was just enough to watch it slowly tip over and rotate right around the kick stand.

Crunch.

Such an idiot I am. Broke the amber plastic for the turn signal, but that's it. And a few scratches.

*sigh*

oh well.

I'm in Christchurch now, and I'm going to try and get in to Dunedin in a few days to see NighthawkNZ.

Been a brilliant trip so far. Can't believe I only have a month. Lordy. Don't supposed anyone will sponsor me for another month or two? Hm? No? Bummer.

d

SDU
23rd February 2007, 12:38
So the funny part is that I finally put the damn thing down.

I was stopped. With the kick stand down. Lordy. The 1150RT leans quite far over and I hadn't considered that as I stopped to look at a map. The camber of the road was just enough to watch it slowly tip over and rotate right around the kick stand.

Crunch.

Such an idiot I am. Broke the amber plastic for the turn signal, but that's it. And a few scratches.

*sigh*

oh well.

I'm in Christchurch now, and I'm going to try and get in to Dunedin in a few days to see NighthawkNZ.

Been a brilliant trip so far. Can't believe I only have a month. Lordy. Don't supposed anyone will sponsor me for another month or two? Hm? No? Bummer.

d

Buggar, but at least you're ok & the damage not much that a bit of duck tape can't fix.

There is some Bears racing out at Ruapuna this weekend. You might get to meet a few Kb'ers at the track look out for KB logo stickers to help. Check the pits out for TonyB, he's racing his monster.
On this thread
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=44603&page=5
some mentioned going to Akaroa for a ride tonight, pm them to see if you can join them. it is a must to ride the peninsular while you are here.
Enjoy your trip.
& watch out for those Sthland beers.

mstriumph
23rd February 2007, 12:52
........................Been a brilliant trip so far. Can't believe I only have a month. Lordy. Don't supposed anyone will sponsor me for another month or two? Hm? No? Bummer.

d

welcome to kb - good that you are having such a great time :sunny:

sponsorship? don't hold your breath! if there were any on offer we'd ALL be over there ........

*sigh*

Street Gerbil
23rd February 2007, 19:46
Make sure to visit Fox Glacier and Franz Joseph. Both are breathtaking.

In Franz Joseph hotel pub don't forget to mention that you are with KiwiBiker. This might or might not entitle you to a free beer.

Stay away from Panakaiki (sp?), especially from their Motor camp. I hated every moment I spent there.