PDA

View Full Version : Taranaki: cowboyz sneaking into taranaki 14/2/7

cowboyz
14th February 2007, 07:00
Nice Day for a ride and not much better things to do so took the new bike out for a decent run. Sent the kids off to school and threw my camera and wallet in the back of the bike and headed off.

Really easy bike to hold pace on. The weather was great and there was quite a few cars on the road but they were all behaving and didn't have any trouble going round them. Only had 1 oh no moment where I didn't see a cop lurking but he ignored me so kinda happy about that. (I was only doing 125 but when your on 90 points it hurts)

I taped the gps to the front of the bike and for the first time in history they have made a bike with an accurate speedo. Bang on the gps reading which is good to know.

Plenty of road works between A+B. That slowed things down a little but made waitara in a little over 2 and a hlaf hours so that was ok. The seat on the 9 is quite hard and my butt was starting to feel it. Not sure if it is the bike seat or that I haven't ridden a couple hours striaght for a long time but after a smoke and hot chocolate it had come right. Did what needed doing in Waitara and headed off to New Plymouth to catch up with Dhunt. Went and saw what he does for a living. Technical little things these are. I am a simple man. Nadoj rung and showed up. He was working too so no bike riding (must be something in the water up there. everyone working so hard...)
Headed off to Egmount villiage to visit a mate of mine up the hill. Bike handled beautifully in the twisties going up the hill. Starting to get the hang of the useable safe power and the oops twisting throttle too hard power of the bike. Chat there for a while and rode home in the dark.
Unnerving riding in the dark. I haven't done alot of night riding. The lights on the 9 at good. Maybe a little too good. On high beam I was getting blinded by the reflections off the road signs. And it is a beam of light much like a spotlight so there is a dark area to the left and right of the bike rather than a broadcast light. I found it difficult to see the exit to the corners because the other side of the road was so dark. Low beam is a nice spread of light and spent alot of time using that.
By the time I hit Bulls I was ready for a pie and smoke so stopped there and there was a guy on a gsxr250. Chatted for a while and he jumped on his bike. He spent a while complaining about the condiition of his bike cause the timing was out and it had a few issues. He went to start it and no go so I offered to 2up him home (he said he lived in Bulls) and fix the bike in the light of day. He didn't want to do that and said the bike does this all the time. He just had to stick one had down the side of the fairings and one down the front and shake the bike side to side for a bit and then he had lights and all was away. Took the whole time it took me to have a smoke for him to start his bike but goodo.

Wound it up a bit for the last run home and walked in the door about 1030 last night.

Good day out.

Oh yeah. Surprised to see 300km out of a tank of fuel. I didn't think it would go that much but averaged 15.42km/litre of 95

chanceyy
17th February 2007, 23:05
blardy good write up there cowboyz .. new bike sounds like fun ;)