PDA

View Full Version : Best route from Picton to Christchurch

SpankMe
15th February 2007, 14:42
Whats the best route from Picton to Christchurch. I see lots of long straight roads, so need to know which is the least boring. Quite happy for it to take all day.

Joni
15th February 2007, 14:43
So you definately coming? :sunny:
I will speak with Kick tonight, he can pm you a few suggestions...

SpankMe
15th February 2007, 14:47
Post it here for all to see for furture use. Will stay the night in Wellington, then take the ferry the next day. I've got the 14<sup>th</sup> to 28<sup>th</sup> March to get to Christchurch, stay a week and get back. Extra days in case it pisses down.

NighthawkNZ
15th February 2007, 15:20
Picton to Nelson, down to Murchison on 65 till you hit state 7 and over the Lewis and in to Amberley then ChCh :)

But it it depends on how many days you have ... heck if it was me I would end up at Wanaka going through Haast saying opps :innocent: I missed the turn off, down to Cromwell then shoot through over the Lindus pass state 8, up to Twizel and 79 to Fairlie, then on to 72 Geraldine, upto Methven and in ChCh

laRIKin
15th February 2007, 15:29
Picton to Nelson, down to Murchison on 65 till you hit state 7 and over the Lewis and in to Amberley then ChCh :)

That gets my vote, but if shitty I would go down the Coast, it's not that bad.

steved
15th February 2007, 15:42
SH1 from Picton to Kaikoura is all good. There are a couple of inland routes just south of Kaikoura (Inland Kaikoura Road or Leader Rd through Waiau) and back onto SH1 at Waipara.

jumma
15th February 2007, 15:45
Did Picton to Chch not too long ago and stayed on SH1 the whole way. Wasn't as boring as I expected it to be, but if you've got time to do Nighthawk's suggested route through the Lewis Pass I would (or the longer one, Lindis Pass is awesome!)

You should go the long way back up the west coast for sure.

Macktheknife
15th February 2007, 16:42

But it it depends on how many days you have ... heck if it was me I would end up at Wanaka going through Haast saying opps :innocent: I missed the turn off, down to Cromwell then shoot through over the Lindus pass state 8, up to Twizel and 79 to Fairlie, then on to 72 Geraldine, upto Methven and in ChCh

Plus a detour for Takaka hill

**AJ**
15th February 2007, 16:47
Whats the best route from Picton to Christchurch.

Via Queen Charlotte Drive then up & over the Whangamoas to Nelson. To Murchison over the Hope Saddle, then a gorgeous ride down to Springs Junction. Up & over the Lewis Pass & onto ChCh. This incorporates 3 great hills!!!!! :Punk:

Then coming home you could do the loop & come back up via the Kaikoura Coast!! a wicked round trip circuit!!!!! :scooter:

Kickaha
15th February 2007, 20:03
I'd go Picton to Nelson,through Queen Charlotte drive,leaving Nelson I'd go up to Motueka and over the Takaka hill (no exit) and on the way back I'd turn off at Motueka and take the road that comes out at Motupiko

Down to Murchison,Inangahua Junction and across to Westport, down the coast to Greymouth, and across to Christchurch through Arthurs pass

On the way back there's a couple of options,head North out of Christchurch past Cheviot turn off at Parnassus and go through the Leader Vally Road through to Waiau and the inland road to Kaikoura and through to Blenheim and Picton

Or the alternate route turn off at Waipara through to Culverden , carry on up through the Lewis pass to Springs Junction and Back to Murchison, instead of going back through to Nelson, turn off and take the road to St Arnaud and the Wairau valley throught to Renwick and Blenheim

doc
15th February 2007, 20:18
If you are going down thru Kaikoura you HAVE to turn off to the right just before the airport and go inland towards Hamner. There are some awesome twisties but make sure if you on a sportsbike thing you gas up regularly. Well that way takes the boredom out for me everytime, anyway different strokes for different folks. You have to use the chicken strip to get value for money out of those tyres. And you can do it without being stupid.

doc
15th February 2007, 20:23
SH1 from Picton to Kaikoura is all good. There are a couple of inland routes just south of Kaikoura (Inland Kaikoura Road or Leader Rd through Waiau) and back onto SH1 at Waipara.
Yep thats the one I mean't. Local knowledge know the best way.

Steam
15th February 2007, 20:26
Nighthawk's good route is only 2 hours longer than the boring way on SH1, I highly recommend it. Pity you don't have a dual purpose, otherwise you could cut cross country through the Rainbow valley to Hamner.

Kickaha
15th February 2007, 20:44
Route three back north

North out of Christchurch and turn off at Waipara and through the Weka pass to Waikari, turn right at Waiakari and go through to Greta Valley and take SH1 the rest of the way,the road from Parnassus up through the Hundalees are easily the equal of the inland road but with more traffic

MD
15th February 2007, 20:57
Yeah like it's been said- Nighthawk's suggestion is good if the inland skys looks dry. There are some great fast sweepers along the coast SH1 from Picton to kaikoura. BUT around Kaikoura there seem to be more cops watching traffic than tourists watching whales sometimes. It's the South Island - it's all good. Ok, except for SH1 from Chch to Timaru!

SpankMe
15th February 2007, 21:14
I'd go Picton to Nelson,through Queen Charlotte drive,leaving Nelson I'd go up to Motueka and over the Takaka hill (no exit) and on the way back I'd turn off at Motueka and take the road that comes out at Motupiko

Down to Murchison,Inangahua Junction and across to Westport, down the coast to Greymouth, and across to Christchurch through Arthurs pass.

How long does that route take at a quick pace?

Would be happy to have anyone join me on this ride. :yes: Most likely will be on the 15<sup>th</sup> March if the weather is good.

Flyingpony
16th February 2007, 07:35

Would be happy to have anyone join me on this ride. :yes: Most likely will be on the 15<sup>th</sup> March if the weather is good.
You could do it in one day, a long day, but there really won't be any pit stops other than for pies and fuel. Best split it over two days by sleeping in Murchison (30-45min before Inangahua Junction) or Westport.

Approx distances (off top of my head) and rough times riding sub 100km/hr.
Nelson - Inangahua Junction: 180km (2.5hrs)
Inangahua Junction (not a fuel stop! pumps removed) - Westport: 50km (40min-1hr) - Very nice & twisty with over hanging rock underpass
Westport - Greymouth: 80-100km (coast road rocks, must stop at the pan cake rocks at high tide!) (1-1.5hr)
Greymouth - Christchurch through Arthurs pass: 250-300km (guesstimate, I normally go over Lewis) (3.5-4.5hr)

If a steam train ride & gold panning are your thing/interest, stop at Shanty Town just south of Greymouth.

At the turn off south of Greymouth into Arthurs pass, you'll encounter a road/rail bridge and a round about with rail going straight through the middle!

crazybigal
16th February 2007, 17:35
all day!
just been through there. arthurs pass has some nasty roadworks at the moment. lewis pass was all good last week, some new seal but only a few loose stones left, was a better ride than the arthurs pass with all the stopping for roadworks and gravel.

crazybigal
16th February 2007, 18:02
id go from Picton down to Spring creek on state highway 1 then over to Rapaura then up to Havlock or you could go via Queen charlotte.then over to Nelson and down to Richmond taking state highway 6 down to Murchison (watch out for cops) but a good road non the less.
Then out of Murchison take highway 65 down the Maruia forest to Springs junction. Then its up over the Lewis pass past Hamner Springs and south to Culverden and keep going south Christchurch

or If you want to go the Kaikoura way make sure you go over highway 70 past mt Lyford, wicked back road real twisty and scenic. but after that its boring run down to chch.
Ive coverd all of these roads in the last few week, some wicked roads and no cops!

onearmedbandit
16th February 2007, 18:33
Shit I've done ChCh via Springs to Nelson via Coast Rd to ChCh in one day before, 'tis easy!

Madness
16th February 2007, 18:48
Hey SpankMe

Don't forget the Gladstone Hillclimb (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=1127&day=2007-3-17&), it's around that time too.

Kickaha
16th February 2007, 19:40

A real man would do it in a day, a latte day drinking Jaffa might take a bit longer :bleh:

depends what time you come off the boat, but I'd be inclined to stop over the night at either Westport or Greymouth for the night

SpankMe
16th February 2007, 20:07
What's the best ferry to take? Should I book, or just turn up on the day? How long does the ferry take to cross?

Kickaha
16th February 2007, 20:12
What's the best ferry to take? Should I book, or just turn up on the day? How long does the ferry take to cross?

I've always used Interislander mainly because their crossing times have been more convenient and if it's not peak time you dont need to book, crossing time is 3 hours and take your own tiedowns

crazybigal
16th February 2007, 20:16
yeah some of them have tie downs on board, and some have shitty ropes, so take at least 2 with you. if you book in advance you save a few bucks but if its not important what crossing you catch just turn up an hour b4 it sails.

I've always used Interislander mainly because their crossing times have been more convenient and if it's not peak time you dont need to book, crossing time is 3 hours and take your own tiedowns

desmo dave
16th February 2007, 20:47
all day!
just been through there. arthurs pass has some nasty roadworks at the moment. lewis pass was all good last week, some new seal but only a few loose stones left, was a better ride than the arthurs pass with all the stopping for roadworks and gravel.

fuck that road surface crap.. must get a steering damper. a super motard stye bike would be the 1 for there. those thick shingle road works at night and pissing down with rain arnt alot of fun. back to topic.the inland road from kaikoura to waiau is a nice we blast but keep a good eye out for campervans and stock.

pritch
16th February 2007, 20:52
Whats the best route from Picton to Christchurch. I see lots of long straight roads, so need to know which is the least boring. Quite happy for it to take all day.

The ride down to Christchurch along SH1 is fine. It ain't all twisties but there are some and the countryside changes every so often so it isn't all that boring. That ride has its own texture, I like it a lot. There's the Plains but hey you're almost there by then.

While you're in Christchurch check out the roads to Akaroa, if you're still hungry try the passes to the West Coast. It ain't SH43 but it ain't half bad either...

There are alternate routes, but either going down or coming back, just try the main road.

I'll be down there at the end of March too but only briefly :-)

Drop in on Inline4 I'm sure he'd be pleased to see you.

Lorax
16th February 2007, 23:45

Would take a long day. Pretty much what Flyingpony said.

But this'd be my choice. That's the best possible route scenery wise. Lewis pass is nice and all but nothing to write home about. Arthurs however is pretty sweet. And some nice long straits once you're on the east side of the pass to chch.

I took Bluebridge, they were great. And there's a front viewing deck unlike interislander. Take your own tie downs, and practice before. There are a few threads in here, do a search.

And enjoy! Jealous! :rockon:

SpankMe
16th February 2007, 23:50
Looks like the ferry will have me in Picton just before midday and I want to get to Christchurch on the same day, so looks like 6, 65 or 69 to 7 could be the route.

Deviant Esq
17th February 2007, 01:32
You'll love the Lewis Pass (SH7) long time if you haven't ridden it before. If you were riding it in winter not as much fun, but I suppose that goes without saying. Clear sky on a summer's day = beaut. Oh, and I'd be quite surprised if you saw a friendly man in blue. :Police: As for time taken: Depends how much you're hurrying and how often you stop. Non stop (in a car, bike petrol tank is too small) it's almost exactly 5 hours from Motueka to Christchurch town centre. Riding it, with comfort stops added in... it's further since you're coming from Picton... should take 6 to 7 hours, it'll still be light. Unless you smoke, then more stops are added... :dodge: Oh, and if you've got time while in Chch, definitely check out the Chch - Akaroa run. We love it. Sublime mix of straights, sweepers and twisties. Takes under an hour if you're not mucking around, a little over if you're taking your time.

I'd happily join you for the ride as I'd like to meet you... but I'd only hold you up even if I was in New Zealand at the time and actually able to attend. Hope the trip goes well mate.

cynna
17th February 2007, 01:47
best root from picton to chch is sally. she lives in kaikoura

Kickaha
17th February 2007, 07:00
Looks like the ferry will have me in Picton just before midday and I want to get to Christchurch on the same day, so looks like 6, 65 or 69 to 7 could be the route.

I'd take the route originally suggested by Nighthawk

terbang
17th February 2007, 07:02

Down this way

Back this way

SpankMe
17th February 2007, 09:03
... Riding it, with comfort stops added in... it's further since you're coming from Picton... should take 6 to 7 hours,

comfort stops are for wonnabe bikers.

Deviant Esq
17th February 2007, 09:13
By comfort stop I was meaning toilet break, maybe a bite to eat. Maybe you could go the whole way without needing to take a piss, but I sure couldn't. Small bladder <_<

SpankMe
12th March 2007, 20:20
Fucking weather has turned to shit. :angry2: I guess I should have scheduled this a few weeks earlier.

Well at least it hasn't been raining during the day so I still might be able to do the trip to Wellington on Wednesday.

How has the daytime weather been down the line to Wellington?

Eric
12th March 2007, 21:20
Weather been good so far excellent riding conditions - having said that I believe our weathergeek Mr Augi said that its going to turn to shit by wednesday. Good luck on your trip/plans

oldrider
12th March 2007, 21:46
Any road anywhere is good, there are no bad roads, there are no bad days when you are on your bike.

Choose any road you like and enjoy. :yes: Have a good trip. Cheers John.

jafar
12th March 2007, 21:53
Fucking weather has turned to shit. :angry2: I guess I should have scheduled this a few weeks earlier.

Well at least it hasn't been raining during the day so I still might be able to do the trip to Wellington on Wednesday.

How has the daytime weather been down the line to Wellington?

Weather forcast is for SpankMe to take his wetsuit goggles & flippers:gob:
have a safe trip:sunny:

Steam
12th March 2007, 21:57
Hey I'm doing the same trip in reverse this weekend, riding my new bike from Chch back home to Wellington.

Wenier
12th March 2007, 22:00
Bluebridge i reckon is the better ferry to go on, not many sailings per day thou. Definitely take at least 2 tie downs 4 if it is rough (i was on the real rough sailing that someone had heartattack on, thats rough sailing alright, had 4 tie downs and the bike didnt even move. Few cars ended up touching thou).

If you take Queen Charlotte Drive to Havelock i think it has been changed to 50Km/h now and is narrow road so watch out for campervans, but a good road to take all and all.

Also if you do a run to Akaroa while down here beware of cops they are hammering that road lately.

-Picton to Nelson via QCD be bout 2hrs probably.
other times someone already stated.

limbimtimwim
12th March 2007, 22:28
Piction, -> Blemhiem -> Murchison -> Springs Junction -> Sh65 via Maruia -> Lewis Pass -> Hamner Springs for some eats -> ChCh.

Did itself in one day in the opposite direction a couple of weeks ago no worries.

Via Kaikoura is okay too, but it's all over too soon, and it is SH1 so it is full of trucks and morons.

dogsnbikes
12th March 2007, 22:32
Weathers been all good the last week and the cook strait has been flat and looks like it will hold out over the next few days.......yeah bluebrige is good santa regina has good tiedown points for Bikes and and rope lashings if needed not sure about the monte stella tho but there should be as both ships have a number of bikers in the crews

but if your wanting to be in picton at midday best to get the monte as it leaves wgtn at 8am I think

and the alpine triangle is a good ride too turn of at Kiakoura

enjoy your ride I am meant too be heading down the 21st but looks like will have too postpone

SpankMe
16th March 2007, 14:31
Caught the bloody flu before I was suppose to come down on Wednesday and didn't feel well enough until today. Left Auckland at 05:30 this morning and got to Wellington at 14:30. Been aimlessly wondering around the city looking for someplace to eat but ended up in a net cafe.

Was wet most of the way down, but I stayed dry. Got an early ferry tomorrow and will see what the weather is like before deciding what route to take.

T.W.R
17th March 2007, 10:21
Was wet most of the way down, but I stayed dry. Got an early ferry tomorrow and will see what the weather is like before deciding what route to take.

Travelled up through the centre yesterday (lewis-murch-nelson) road is good apart from one piece of roadworks between Murchison & Nelson lakes turn-off ( 5km nth of Murchison) :yes:

Steam
17th March 2007, 20:54
I rode from Chch to Blenheim today after picking up my new CX400, I waved to every biker on the way in the hope that one was the famous Spankme.
Incredible weather, sunny, 27 degC, hardly any traffic, new bike to play with.
My GOD, a 400 is a big step up from a GN250, I can't imagine what a GSX 1300 is like. I love it already.
Hope Spankme didnt' go the west coast route, it RAINED on that side.

desmo dave
17th March 2007, 22:40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWLPpdfIK_E&mode=related&search= Check this out it shows a ride from chch to kaikoura and back

SpankMe
18th March 2007, 19:38
Ended up taking SH1 as the west coast was looking wet. Took 3 hours from Picton to Christchurch. Some nice sections and some boring bits but a good ride.