PDA

View Full Version : Police officer saves Biker

Bob
9th August 2004, 23:48
A quick-thinking policeman saved the life of a biker - while on duty promoting a bike safety campaign.

PC Paul Cheshire was on duty in Llangollen promoting the ‘BikeSafe’ scheme on the Horseshoe Pass when he was told about an accident nearby. A man had lost control of his bike on a sharp right hand bend, careered off the road, and slid down a grass bank. He suffered serious injuries and would have choked to death after vomiting in his helmet if it were not for the actions of PC Cheshire.

While waiting for the air ambulance, PC Cheshire put his first aid training into use, clearing the victim’s – who had who had back and neck injuries - airways and keeping him stable until the air ambulance arrived.

PC Cheshire was remarkably modest. When questioned, he said : "The measures that I took were simple but extremely effective in keeping him stable and safe while the experts arrived.”

"As first responders, our primary objective is safe access and ensuring the safety of all involved to sustain life. "I established that the person was conscious but in a serious condition and an airwave was secured with the helmet removed. This is not something that should be undertaken without training as it could have serious consequences. Nevertheless, on this occasion it was essential. As a neck injury was suspected, great care was taken and the rider was immobilised until the Paramedics took over."

scumdog
10th August 2004, 00:06
A quick-thinking policeman saved the life of a biker - while on duty promoting a bike safety campaign.

PC Paul Cheshire was on duty in Llangollen promoting the ‘BikieSafe’ scheme on the Horseshoe Pass when he was told about an accident nearby. A man had lost control of his bike on a sharp right hand bend, careered off the road, and slid down a grass bank. He suffered serious injuries and would have choked to death after vomiting in his helmet if it were not for the actions of PC Cheshire.

While waiting for the air ambulance, PC Cheshire put his first aid training into use, clearing the victim’s – who had who had back and neck injuries - airways and keeping him stable until the air ambulance arrived.

PC Cheshire was remarkably modest. When questioned, he said : "The measures that I took were simple but extremely effective in keeping him stable and safe while the experts arrived.”

"As first responders, our primary objective is safe access and ensuring the safety of all involved to sustain life. "I established that the person was conscious but in a serious condition and an airwave was secured with the helmet removed. This is not something that should be undertaken without training as it could have serious consequences. Nevertheless, on this occasion it was essential. As a neck injury was suspected, great care was taken and the rider was immobilised until the Paramedics took over."

Loada shit, what cop ever strung words together like that????

More like, "Yeah, the dude was in a bad way and choking on his ralf and I knew he'd cark it unless I scooped the crud out of his gob so's he could breath a bit, anybody would have done the same........

Bob
10th August 2004, 01:13
Loada shit, what cop ever strung words together like that????

More like, "Yeah, the dude was in a bad way and choking on his ralf and I knew he'd cark it unless I scooped the crud out of his gob so's he could breath a bit, anybody would have done the same........

Our bike cops can string a sentence together, I'll have you know!

This is an extract from an interview I did with a chap called Tony Carter, who is an accident investigator... and began as a bike cop - the subject is 'Contributary Negligence':

"Perhaps a better way of understanding what Contributory negligence is, it is perhaps better to think of it in terms of "Apportionment of Blame". In most traffic accidents someone has done something that has caused the accident to occur. Now for the most part, the person that caused the accident will be held 100% liable. However although the claimant may not have committed any traffic offences, in respect of any claim it may be considered that the claimant took a course of action that contributed to the cause of the accident.

For example filtering is a popular manoeuvre amongst riders, particularly in heavily congested urban areas. Filtering is a perfectly acceptable manoeuvre provided it is legal and safe. Drivers have a duty of care to ensure that before they carry out any turn in the road it is unlikely to cause danger to other road users and in particular they should watch out for motorcyclists who may be filtering down the offside. How many times have you heard stories of motorcyclists being knocked off when filtering, by car drivers who have not checked before commencing their turn? Now it is generally accepted that the car driver is responsible for having caused the accident, but, it may be held that the motorcyclist was 20 or 30% responsible because of the course of action he was taking at the time in this case filtering. On this basis the car driver would be held 100% liable but the award would be reduced by 20 or 30% because that is the percentage by which it was felt that the motorcyclist contributed to the accident. This is what is called Contributory Negligence.

Motorcyclists can help themselves in this respect by asking the question "What are the likely consequences?" Before carrying out any manoeuvre. There is nothing specific they can do, as that is the risk we all take when we climb aboard a bike, but by riding sensibly, the chances of contributory negligence being held against the rider in the unfortunate event that an accident occurs, will be considerably reduced."

Not quite "The dude" etc...

Full article can be found here (http://www.bobpickett.co.uk/bkit/tonycarter.htm)

Mongoose
10th August 2004, 08:15
Our bike cops can string a sentence together, I'll have you know!

article can be found here (http://www.bobpickett.co.uk/bkit/tonycarter.htm)

Bloody Nora, must have found a Private School educated copper for that interview! Bet he did not front from Sarf London, hand picked for the chat old chap?
Besides, what copper is going to risk getting dirty over some low life biker sort, it was all a set up I bet. :lol:

jrandom
10th August 2004, 10:02
"Police Officer Saves Biker from Himself, Bikers Of Nation Unite in Realisation of Own Stupidity"