PDA

View Full Version : Riding to Sturgis

ratast
16th February 2007, 22:33
Big ride coming up soon. We are picking up our bikes in San Francisco in July and riding out over the Golden Gate heading North up the coast to Vancouver Island via California, Oregon and Washington. Taking 3 weeks to get to Sturgis after riding up through Whistler, Jasper and banff. The route we are on intertwines in and out of the Rockies and down the Icefields HighWay. Leaving Canada we ride over the Waterton National Park and the well known Going to the Sun Highway into Montana. one night at the serene Flathead Lake and then a big highlight of the trip, south down Lolo Pass. 75 miles of scenic twisties and rated number 1 ride in States.Spend a bit of time in Idaho and Wyoming before riding into Teton country and Yellow stone Park. Same day we stop for a look at Buffalo Bills museum in Cody and two fantanstic head to head rides into Montana over Chief Joesph and BearTooth Highways. Getting high here , about 12500 feet and conditions change fast. Go from bloody hot in Cody to a very welcome hot coffee at summit of BearTooth possibly in freezing sleet. Attend the popular pig races in Red LOdge and beat the locals in playing pool . Lot of bikes on road now nearing Sturgis but that to be expected, 600000 bikers take up a lot of highway. Well thats the first 3 weeks, 3 to go after Rally and we head south for some incredible rides and sights. My favourite is over the Rockies National Park in Colorado and riding up the highest paved road in the States and I think number 2 in the world. 14200 feet, great views when you over 2.5 miles high.Follow the red Colorado river into the Mormon State of Utah and home of 2.5 % beer. Small price to pay however after getting mesmerised by the scenery down here. Several National Parks, amongst them The Arches, Zion and Canyonlands. Up into the mountains again for a night in Durango and a taste of honky tonk pianos and saloon ladies resplendant in garters. One night in Arizona,trying to keep cool by staying in Jerome, which happens to be built 100 years ago over a open cast mine on a steep slope and noticably cooler than the desert floor. Las Vegas with it's air conditioning and pools going to be good for a 3 day R.R. One more National Park, Yosemite takes us out to coast to Santa Cruz then San Francisco to pack up bikes and get the Grankids pressies then home. Still a bit of room if interested. Cheers Ratast

Waylander
16th February 2007, 23:16
lol and kiwis call us american bikers soft and lazy cause of all those straight roads.

Yet we easilly laugh and your so called endurance rides like the Grand Challenge.

scumdog
17th February 2007, 04:03
Ah shut-up ratast ya bastard, you're making me jealous!!

Deviant Esq
17th February 2007, 04:44
Holy lack of paragraphs, Batman! My eyes hurt.

Still, sounds like one epic ride. Hope it goes well.

Wasp27
17th February 2007, 06:50
Ah shut-up ratast ya bastard, you're making me jealous!!

Me too.... one day:yes: Have a good trip:scooter: hopefully we'll get some pics....cheers W