PDA

View Full Version : Drilling exhaust system

Disco Dan
17th February 2007, 11:39
After my recent incident with what seemed like half the worlds supply of diesel on a roundabout, I have had a look at my exhaust...

As you can see from the picture it has been crushed, and its just about flattened it.
My question is could I drill a small (1-2mm) hole on the engine side of the pipe to prevent the back pressure from blowing up those two cylinders?

It has a can on each side each servicing two cylinders.

Its going to be a few weeks before I can afford to have it repaired so was thinking about an option to sort me out until then.

scumdog
17th February 2007, 11:55
"I don't think so Tim"

It would have to be a 25mm hole minimum to make any difference, can you imagine the noise?

Can you not take the muffler off and use a pipe and hammer or whatever to pound the section of pipe into a (roughly!) round shape??

Disco Dan
17th February 2007, 11:58
"I don't think so Tim"

It would have to be a 25mm hole minimum to make any difference, can you imagine the noise?

Can you not take the muffler off and use a pipe and hammer or whatever to pound the section of pipe into a (roughly!) round shape??

ahh phewy... its a fully welded system all the way through.

any way to pull it out a bit without removing the pipe?

Weld something to the outside of the pipe, use that to pull the pipe out, then cut it off.

Disco Dan
17th February 2007, 12:05
Weld something to the outside of the pipe, use that to pull the pipe out, then cut it off.

ahh, great. But what about if i dont have welding gear... :gob:

NinjaNanna
17th February 2007, 12:26
The pipe may be too heavy but you could try a dent puller, you may be able to hire one or buy one from Super Cheap Auto.

Try the type where you have to drill a hole in the pipe into then screw the "slide hammer" into it.

j_redley
17th February 2007, 16:20
You could take the whole exhaust off and try and straighten it with a hammer and a wooden block, or a vice if you don't have/afford any fancy equipment.

I'd love to hear the thing if you did put holes in it :-p

How does it run with the exhaust crumpled like that?

Disco Dan
17th February 2007, 20:28
You could take the whole exhaust off and try and straighten it with a hammer and a wooden block, or a vice if you don't have/afford any fancy equipment.

I'd love to hear the thing if you did put holes in it :-p

How does it run with the exhaust crumpled like that?

Its welded on every joint, so I will have to actually hack saw it off... :sick:

its seems to run ok, but im no expert!

I was thinking of drilling a hole in the middle of the dent and trying to hook something inside to try and pull it out again?

j_redley
18th February 2007, 10:45
It just be a question of what have you got thats strong enough and that small to pull it out. Is it not bolted on at the engine? Or do you mean welded to the frame?

Your next thing would be take it to a shop and see if they have any advice.

Disco Dan
18th February 2007, 10:52
It just be a question of what have you got thats strong enough and that small to pull it out. Is it not bolted on at the engine? Or do you mean welded to the frame?

Your next thing would be take it to a shop and see if they have any advice.

*click*

...todays mission I think....

j_redley
18th February 2007, 21:22
Im hoping you clicked in that it was bolted on at the engine? Do let us know how you got on.

Steam
18th February 2007, 22:12
Equipment:

Hacksaw
Vacuum Cleaner pipe (or a pipe that will fit)
Two hose clamps.

That's what's holding my muffler together right now, until I can be bothered to get it welded proper-like.

j_redley
18th February 2007, 22:26
Wouldn't a plastic vacuum cleaner pipe melt?

Disco Dan
18th February 2007, 22:29
Im hoping you clicked in that it was bolted on at the engine? Do let us know how you got on.

the intention was there.... but was asked on a 'bike date' and just couldnt refuse... She still sits on 160kph with a pillion ;)

Steam
18th February 2007, 22:34
Wouldn't a plastic vacuum cleaner pipe melt?

And now, for the ONE MILLION DOLLAR PRIZE, name one other material vacuum cleaner pipes are made of.

wendigo
18th February 2007, 23:13
Take the exhaust of, drill holes on the opposite side of the pipe to the dent. Get some metal rod (old bolts?) to feed through the hole, and bash the dent out from the inside.

Could then get one of those exhaust wraps for leaky car exhausts to cover the holes and use that as a stop gap measure till you can make more permanent arrangements.

Personally I'd leave of doing anything till you can do a proper job on it. Otherwise you could end up going from a functional exhaust to a totally rooted exhaust.

When it comes to repairing it, you're probably better of gas (or Tig) welding it, as opposed to using a mig machine. Less chance of getting metal building up on the inside of the pipe (hence restricting gas flow in the pipe). Another usefull side effect is that you'll be able to use the gas torch to heat the dented metal up to shape it easier.

Just my 2c....

j_redley
18th February 2007, 23:29
And now, for the ONE MILLION DOLLAR PRIZE, name one other material vacuum cleaner pipes are made of.

Mine's plastic, though now I realise thats a farking dum question when I used to have a metal one I bashed my brother with. Where can I claim my prize?:Punk:

Steam
19th February 2007, 04:52
Where can I claim my prize?
On the moon. Crater number IZ557-84b. It's there waiting for you. Really.:yes:

Pancakes
7th March 2007, 18:52
I love the dodgy fixes. Yeah you could get all "properly" done but that will be more than a few bucks. I'd use a slide hammer (but I have panelbeater friends) failing understanding mates with the right tools there is nothing wrong with the suggestion of drilling through the other side and tapping it out. It won't be round but if you use lots of little taps and get the feel for how flexy the pipe is before going hard out I doubt there would be any more restriction than before. Go to a panel shop with one cold beer at the end of the day and point at the hole, it'll vanish in a second. Then off to Supercheap cos they have heat wrap on sale at the moment and hot gasses flow noticably better than cold. You'll have fixed, legal and safe race pipes for cheap as out of the sorry incident. I hate diesel, I swear the tank caps they use have breathers or something thta lets it spill out on corners when the tanks are near the top.

FROSTY
7th March 2007, 22:01
dude tis easy --loan the bike to mark --mark fucks the rest of the bike--problem solved
AS AN ALTERNATIVE --See a panelbeater and get a loop of mig wire welded on to the middle of the dent--Use a gas torch and heat the pipe up cherry red --using an appropriate pulling tool pull on the loop--the dent will come out --once its at the "about right" stage --go have a cuppa till it all cools down--then cut the wire loop off.