PDA

View Full Version : FXR problem starting

Lynxster
17th February 2007, 21:33
hey, i just bought my first bike, a suzuki fxr150. my problem is when i got it it started no problem but since owning it for 2 weeks and not riding it it now doesnt turn over, i got a new battery but i dont think that this is the problem as all the dashlights etc light up, i changed the sparkplug and found that the spark isnt all that bright so was wondering if it could be an issue with the coil or with not enough fuel getting to the carburetor, any advice would be greatly appreciated

cheers

xwhatsit
17th February 2007, 22:12
hey, i just bought my first bike, a suzuki fxr150. my problem is when i got it it started no problem but since owning it for 2 weeks and not riding it it now doesnt turn over, i got a new battery but i dont think that this is the problem as all the dashlights etc light up, i changed the sparkplug and found that the spark isnt all that bright so was wondering if it could be an issue with the coil or with not enough fuel getting to the carburetor, any advice would be greatly appreciated

cheers

You said it doesn't turn over, but then you said the spark isn't that bright -- so how did you check the spark, by turning the engine over? Did you really mean that the electric starter was turning the engine over but it wasn't starting?

Often when you leave a bike for a little while, it can be reluctant to start again -- I find I have to turn the fuel tap of my bike off if I leave it for a while, otherwise the carb seems to flood or something. If the coil was stuffed, then it was likely stuffed two weeks ago, and there shouldn't be a problem now. What colour is the spark? If it's blue, it's in good nick. It's likely to be something simple wrong if it just stopped starting after you left it for two weeks, so don't panic.

P.S. I'd recommend sentences :yes:

Mr. Peanut
17th February 2007, 22:25
Charge your battery, 12 hours. Let us know what happens.

Grub
17th February 2007, 22:28
Our 2002 FXR was hard to start, but it *would* turn over, after being left unridden for a week. Once it just wouldn't fire up. This was only after it had been left for a length of time

I could never remember to turn the fuel off, but we were blessed by the previous owner who had wired it up with a trickle charger so we just left it plugged in all the time.

By the way, don't let this put you off hte bike, we just LOVED our FXR, never had so much fun on two wheels

Indiana_Jones
17th February 2007, 22:34
By the way, don't let this put you off hte bike, we just LOVED our FXR, never had so much fun on two wheels

I second that. Sometimes I hated the fucker when she didn't wanna work, but yeah she was great fun, she's only been gone about a week now and I already miss her lol

-Indy

Lynxster
18th February 2007, 16:38
Hey, ive had the battery on charge for 12 hours, hooked it back up to bike. The electric starter was turning the engine over but it wasn't starting same as before. I tried to kick start it and crash start it but nothing happened on both occasions. Any ideas?

Flyingpony
19th February 2007, 07:46
Got fuel in the tank, hoses connected properly and the tap is not switched off?

If the starter motor is kicking the engine over, that rules out the kill switch.

Did you put the spark plug and it's wiring back into place properly? (Definitely double check that one)

Choke on or off? With our current temperatures, the bike should start without choke and idle happily.

I've never had troubles starting my bike, even when left standing for 2 months :love:

surfer
19th February 2007, 09:00
I could never remember to turn the fuel off

Always turn your fuel off when you turn the engine off. Make sure the carbs are not flooded, this happens if the fuel is left on.

Lynxster
19th February 2007, 18:33
Hey, thanks to everyone for their suggestions, much appreciated. i have decided to let a mechanic sus it all out that way i know it will be sweet, thanks again