PDA

View Full Version : How do I test relays?

soundbeltfarm
18th February 2007, 11:17
the fan wont go in the bloody ute and i cant figure it out.
the fuse is o.k still and the relay clicks when i turn fan on but thats it the fan wont go.
how can i test the relay?
if the fan is jammed wont the fuse blow?
cheers

Motu
18th February 2007, 11:52
Do Skoda Octavia's have cooling fans?

The basic information to give when you ask for help is make,model and year.....

thehovel
18th February 2007, 12:28
A relay is an electriclly opperated switch. It has 2 small (thin)wires and 2 big(thick) wires. The small wires are the actuater circuit,yours sounds OK(should have high resisance in the 100s of ohms). when the relay is on the big wires should have circuit (0-.2ohms) Regards Richard

scumdog
18th February 2007, 13:33
Disconnect the wire running from the fan, run a pair of wires from the fan wires directly to a battery (the cars one if you disconnect it from the car) and see if the fan 'kicks' or starts spinning.

That's the quick'n'dirty way to see if the fan even works.

soundbeltfarm
18th February 2007, 16:36
The ute is a 04 hilux 2.8 diesel.

cheers for help so far

Spuds1234
18th February 2007, 16:47
Does the relay go click click click really fast? Or does it just click once.

If it clicks really fast then you have a short somewhere on the other side of the relay which would explain why the fan doesnt work.

If it just clicks once, and the fan doesnt spin when you directly connect it to the battery then you know the fan is knackered.

Motu
18th February 2007, 18:05
And what ''fan'' are we talking about? The cooling fan,the heater fan,or the air con fan?

soundbeltfarm
18th February 2007, 19:42
Gee your're hard to please Motu.

its the heater fan under behind the glove box,
the fuse is ok and relay clicks once when i turn the fan switch on.
if something is jammed in the fan wouldn't the fuse blow?

Motu
18th February 2007, 20:19
Finally! Would be good to get that all in the first post instead of having to drag it out of you bit by bit.There is usualy no relay for the heater fan,or have you got the air con on? There is no relay needed as the switch is close to both source and fan motor,although who knows what wierd things Toyota do.

First make sure you have power coming out of the switch.....then see if you have any at the motor.If it does have a relay see if it is being triggered .

soundbeltfarm
18th February 2007, 20:39
looked in the gregory manual which helped me find all the parts.
it has a relay and fuse behind glove box. not sure why its no with the other fuses .
will pull the fan out tomorrow to see if it jammed and see if i can find the wires going into the motor for the fan.

thanks for all the help will let you's know if i can sort it or have to take it to shop.

classic zed
8th March 2007, 15:09
If you have standard heating there will also be a resistor block in circuit to make the fan run at different speeds, its usually on the heater motor housing so that it gets a good air flow to keep it cool.

If you have air con (climate control) then the resistor block could be an electronic type. again this will be found in the heater motor housing.

soundbeltfarm
8th March 2007, 17:53
Thanks for all the help.
it was the relay.
i bypassed it and the fan went but i couldn't get the fan to turn off. it would go all through the fans speeds but when i switched it to off it still ran on lowest setting.
got a new relay and it running sweet.
thanks everyone that helped