PDA

View Full Version : Campaign against the abuse of scooters!!

Posh Tourer :P
10th August 2004, 20:50
Why do the manufacturers persist in causing personality problems for scooters by naming them such ridiculous things???

Today I saw the "Yamaha Tasty Runner"!!!!!

Add that to the Pal, Jog, BM-X, Bug, QTie, etc etc

How many people are put off buying a scooter because of the image these things give off? Can we get some better names please? I know the CBR250 didnt go that fast, but they still called it a Hurricane. The GPX250 is a Ninja.

So why is the Honda 50 a Jog??? Surely they could at least call it a Sprint..... Or do the scooter manufacturers not believe in marketing????

Why call a powered bike a BM-X???? at least try and make it sound like it'll go faster than a bicycle!!

Mongoose
10th August 2004, 21:19
But, but , but, check out the names of some of the "Big Boys" bikes and then figure out why you would buy a bike with that name?
And as for Jap cars, WELL!!! :yeah:

Motu
10th August 2004, 21:28
I reckon the Joker would suit me down to the ground - it looks so cool....as do I....

rodgerd
10th August 2004, 22:09
Why do the manufacturers persist in causing personality problems for scooters by naming them such ridiculous things???

Clearly you're just looking at the wrong manufacturers. What's wrong with the Gilera Runner or the Piaggio Typhoon?

11th August 2004, 08:04
Clearly you're just looking at the wrong manufacturers. What's wrong with the Gilera Runner or the Piaggio Typhoon?

Yes I admit I'm being selective.

But you try and rattle off so many weak ridiculous names for motorbikes...
I know there are some stupid things, but at least they are somewhat strong-sounding, even the intruder/Marauder/Bandit, unlike the pal, jog and tasty runner....

FROSTY
11th August 2004, 08:24
Then thre are the emotionless sode who just call their bikes by nombers and letters. :Pokey:
Ill ride a pal -hmm now that sounds perverted somehow

11th August 2004, 08:49
Then thre are the emotionless sode who just call their bikes by nombers and letters. :Pokey:
Ill ride a pal -hmm now that sounds perverted somehow

See what I mean???

I ride an Intruder is at least more manly perversion....

bungbung
11th August 2004, 09:01
I have ridden a "Mint - Fine selection, for elegant living" scoot. My flatmate once had an "Addressway, 24hr Hip Hop running"

Antallica
11th August 2004, 09:10
I just love those Suzi StreetMagics!!

Motoracer
11th August 2004, 10:26
I think they are named appropriately. If you called a Nifty fifty a super black bird, what name would you give to the CBR1100 XX?

tuscan
11th August 2004, 11:58
And to think I never thought of my old SJ50QT as being named a 'cutie'. :Oops: What will people think???!!! :buggerd:

Ah well :cool: But I often wonder where they get the random letters that they put in the model names for both bikes and cars. Obviously 'GT' is self-explanatory but 'FXR', 'CBR', 'GSX'...etc? :spudwhat:

Then again :whocares: I guess :scooter:

Hitcher
11th August 2004, 12:36
Bring on the Honda Scrotum

Coldkiwi
11th August 2004, 12:58
Obviously 'GT' is self-explanatory but 'FXR', 'CBR', 'GSX'...etc? :spudwhat:

yes.. we all know what GT stands for... but does anyone know what it is doing on the back of so many low performance cars!? Put GTR on a Viper any day of the week, but on the back of a non turboed station wagon??

I've always wondered how the bike factories invented their little lettering codes. I remember it being as bewildering as hell when I was looking at getting into bikes... what with ZXR, GPX, GPZ, FZR, FXR, GSR, GSX, CBR R, CBR RR... and that was just the learner bikes :doobey:
maybe they just throw three darts at an alphabet board with a bonus 'R' dart at a smaller target. The only rule being that you have to have at least one X, Z or R in the name.
kawasaki obviously covered their bases and include all three!

rodgerd
11th August 2004, 13:15
yes.. we all know what GT stands for... but does anyone know what it is doing on the back of so many low performance cars!? Put GTR on a Viper any day of the week, but on the back of a non turboed station wagon??

Well, since it stands for "Grand Touring", I don't see why it would be inappropriate on a non-turbo wagon.

Especially if the Wagon in question is a BMW, Audi, or Aston Marton (yes, they have wagons; sorry, "shooting brakes").

FROSTY
11th August 2004, 13:15
Shit that reminds me
OYYY mr kawasaki -how in gods name did you come up with the name GTR1000 :Oi: --There is nothing R about a GTR - unless kwakka means R for rotund or maybee robust or rediculously heavy.

riffer
11th August 2004, 13:26
Shit that reminds me
OYYY mr kawasaki -how in gods name did you come up with the name GTR1000 :Oi: --There is nothing R about a GTR - unless kwakka means R for rotund or maybee robust or rediculously heavy.
Maybe it stands for Grand Tourer - Road version... :confused:

riffer
11th August 2004, 13:26
Or, as a form of encouragement, like "get thee racing..."

tuscan
11th August 2004, 13:28
GT Errr...

Whereas my 'R' is 100% justified :whistle:

11th August 2004, 15:14
I think they are named appropriately. If you called a Nifty fifty a super black bird, what name would you give to the CBR1100 XX?

Appropriate perhaps, but certainly no good for marketing. What is a blackbird anyway? You wouldnt want to ride a thrush or a starling, so why a blackbird? Except for the record-breaking car I suppose.
As was pointed out earlier, Gilera and Piaggio seem to have no trouble

Motoracer
11th August 2004, 15:27
Appropriate perhaps, but certainly no good for marketing. What is a blackbird anyway? You wouldnt want to ride a thrush or a starling, so why a blackbird? Except for the record-breaking car I suppose.
As was pointed out earlier, Gilera and Piaggio seem to have no trouble

The Blackbird is of course the SR-71, which is the world's fastest aircraft (excluding that experimental rocket powered aircraft). EVERYONE knows this, so obviously having such a name on a bike might make people think rather highly of it. Although if the SR-71 is called Blackbird, calling the CBR1100XX a "Super" Blackbird was a bit cheeky!

Mongoose
11th August 2004, 17:13
[QUOTE=Coldkiwi]
I've always wondered how the bike factories invented their little lettering codes. I remember it being as bewildering as hell when I was looking at getting into bikes... what with ZXR, GPX, GPZ, FZR, FXR, GSR, GSX, CBR R, CBR RR... and that was just the learner bikes :doobey:
QUOTE]

Tell a wjat, that is still a LARGE problem to me, gave up in the end. At least Guzzi used numbers I could relate to. :Punk:

Motu
11th August 2004, 17:25
You wouldnt want to ride a thrush or a starling,

OI!!! My Motu Guzzi Stornello is a little starling!

Jackrat
11th August 2004, 19:52
Well me own bike is a "Heritage Special" :o
I've always wondered where they got that from.

11th August 2004, 20:20
The Blackbird is of course the SR-71, which is the world's fastest aircraft (excluding that experimental rocket powered aircraft). EVERYONE knows this, so obviously having such a name on a bike might make people think rather highly of it. Although if the SR-71 is called Blackbird, calling the CBR1100XX a "Super" Blackbird was a bit cheeky!

:doh: I knew that!

DebK
11th August 2004, 20:53
I think Italjet's Dragster 180 nicely describes my scoot. Might also add Insectile to that name though. He's a certainly a weird looking dude.

riffer
11th August 2004, 21:21
Hey Deb long time no see on KB!

Are you still punting your scoot through the welly motorway traffic?

DebK
12th August 2004, 20:48
Hey celticno6,

Been a bit busy on 4 wheels. Started to miss reading KBF so back in here again.

Yep, still on the scoot. It is really a lot of fun to ride & that's coming from someone who at times exceeds 200kmh on gravel, so that says something about the Dragster 180. Has a decent top speed (easy 100 & had it up to 130) to keep me on the motorway & out of everyone's way. Actually end up passing most cars from The Terrace to Tawa. Seems to handle & brake well but then again I've no experience on other bikes. Was tempted to try a trade on an Aprilia RS250 but decided against it. When I'm ready financially I'll move up to something bigger & more impressive (image gal, guilty as charged). My husband's keen to get a bike now too.

What you been up to lately celticno6?

13th August 2004, 18:05
My husband's keen to get a bike now too.

It's contagious!!!

The lovely female assistant at the dentist has almost been convinced to get a bike too. She counted out a scooter though :spudwhat:
And one friend has a bike but no licence yet, another buying a bike and a third thinking about it.... There's gotta be something contagious there!

Mongoose
13th August 2004, 22:20
Well me own bike is a "Heritage Special" :o
I've always wondered where they got that from.

It derives from the American spelling of "Heretic" :killingme

tuscan
20th August 2004, 11:44
Yamaha SRX... "Tasty Sports for Urban Lifestyle"

Sure... :blink: