PDA

View Full Version : BMW tourer info please

crazybigal
19th February 2007, 18:26
ok after riding 4000km round the south island on my 99 blackbird i have come to the conclusion that although i love the blackbird and its a great bike i would not do the trip again on it.
Sore bum, wrists and nervous gravel rides, along with having to clean and oil the chain and worry about stone chips on the bodywork(south island is one big roadwork) I think a large BMW would be the ticket!
Thinking about a r1150gs or r850r or gs if i can find one. not many secondhand 1150gs around. i like the GS over the R or RT, can the R be retro fitted with gs goodies? high front guard and so on?
Would the r805r feel well underpowered after riding a blackbird? any other ideas? I want to be able to ride 600km a day without a numb arse and wrist and hands feeling like they will fall off. not too keen on a transalp or klr, what are the triumph tigers like? now im getting off the subject!

Colapop
19th February 2007, 18:28
Thought about a Triumph Tiger? (just adding a bike to consider - I've got nothing else useful)

crazybigal
19th February 2007, 18:49
yeah tiger looks good, do they put out much grunt for the long highway trips? nothing worse than being behind a line of camper vans and not enough go to get past them.

Thought about a Triumph Tiger? (just adding a bike to consider - I've got nothing else useful)

Colapop
19th February 2007, 18:51
Apparently - yeah. Sels1 is the Triumph Tiger trumpeter around here. I tried one at TSS. Very nice bike, good for taller people, had a bit of go about it and was very comfortable.

crazybigal
19th February 2007, 18:59
have not seen many secondhand, was one in nelson a while ago on tardme but non in wellington.

Hitcher
19th February 2007, 19:01
Forget about BMWs. Move up the Honda food-chain and get an ST1300. Or, you could be truly enlightened and get an FJR1300.

crazybigal
19th February 2007, 19:07
god no! as much as the st is a fine and very well made machine its just too big, i want to be able to do gravel without the worry of stone chips and droping it doing a u turn in some farmers driveway. same with the fj, but i must say i like the look of the fj.

Forget about BMWs. Move up the Honda food-chain and get an ST1300. Or, you could be truly enlightened and get an FJR1300.

Hitcher
19th February 2007, 19:09
In that case, how about a CB1300? Plenty of room and plenty of vroom.

The BMW 1150 ain't exactly sylphlike and, after a 'Bird, the R850R would be gutless and not that roomy for touring.

Blackbird
19th February 2007, 19:10
You big girl:innocent:

If I can do the Southern Cross on a Blackbird, you can tour on one! Seriously, if you love the grunt of a 'bird, most other sports tourers will feel tame by comparison. A Rider custom seat fixed my arse ache completely and although my wrists aren't too bad on a long haul, a lot of people fit bar risers to get over the problem. You can even lower the pegs by fitting ones from a Buell. Clear adhesive films eliminates stone chips in critical places. Those mods are cheaper than replacing your Blackbird, but if you just fancy a change, then go for it!

crazybigal
19th February 2007, 19:18
Id have to say the worst is the wrists! my brother has an old yamaha xv1000 and he can go all day no problem. Me i have to stop after 200k as my wrists and knees hurt too much. I get about 500k a day and im over it! no fun after that.
I have heard you can fit the vfr800 bars to the bird, i duno about the buel pegs! (send me more info if you have it) I scrape my toe on the ground as it is on the sharp twisty corners! (size 13 boots dont help)
You have to wonder why the seat on the bird is so low? its lower than my rf900 im sure.
Problem is finding a bike with the power, fuel economy, and good on any surface. hence the BMW idea.

You big girl:innocent:

If I can do the Southern Cross on a Blackbird, you can tour on one! Seriously, if you love the grunt of a 'bird, most other sports tourers will feel tame by comparison. A Rider custom seat fixed my arse ache completely and although my wrists aren't too bad on a long haul, a lot of people fit bar risers to get over the problem. You can even lower the pegs by fitting ones from a Buell. Clear adhesive films eliminates stone chips in critical places. Those mods are cheaper than replacing your Blackbird, but if you just fancy a change, then go for it!

Blackbird
19th February 2007, 19:26
Id have to say the worst is the wrists! my brother has an old yamaha xv1000 and he can go all day no problem. Me i have to stop after 200k as my wrists and knees hurt too much. I get about 500k a day and im over it! no fun after that.
I have heard you can fit the vfr800 bars to the bird, i duno about the buel pegs! (send me more info if you have it) I scrape my toe on the ground as it is on the sharp twisty corners! (size 13 boots dont help)
You have to wonder why the seat on the bird is so low? its lower than my rf900 im sure.
Problem is finding a bike with the power, fuel economy, and good on any surface. hence the BMW idea.

Yep, finding the perfect "fitness for purpose" bike is hard all right. I have a photo of the peg mod at work somewhere and will post it tomorrow. It drops the peg by 25 mm and apparently makes a huge difference. Have a look at the bar risers (and other stuff) here: http://www.jaws-motorcycles.co.uk/bird.htm

miSTa
19th February 2007, 19:35
The R1150GS is a great bike however:
- they are not vibration free. There is some vibration in the handlebars, seat, footpegs, tank (yeah all right the whole bike) at anything over 120. Not helped by having dual purpose tyres of course
- cruising all day at 120 and higher is a tiring affair, not what it was designed for. I could manage all day on my ZZR1100 just fine at the same speeds.
- lack of acceleration (coming of a ZZR the GS is somewhat underwhelming)
- lack of horsepower, losing 60 takes some getting use to
- fuel economy isn't as good as the ZZR
- they take a lot of getting use to. Took me ages to get right. The gearbox is somewhat tractor like, slow and firm is the way.

Some good points though:
- handles gravel roads (and more) just fine
- handles just fine on the sealed roads, I'm probably more confident on the GS than I was on the ZZR
- don't need cleaning
- great fun in the rain
- 10,000km service intervals
- great for the taller people
- two up there's plenty of room

I guess you could convert a R1150R to a GS but the cost would prohibitive and you'd not really gain anything.

Forget about a R850 - I'm sure you'd find it absolutely gutless.

Detroitdiesel
19th February 2007, 19:50
I have just returned from a day ride from CHC to Tekapo, I went with a work mate I was on my R1100S and he was on a GSXR1100.We swaped bikes at Rakaia and rode all the way to Tekapo and back to highway 72 intersection at Thompsons Track about 350 KMs where we stopped and swapped bikes, he went on to Rangiora and I went to Leeston,His words were " I could own one of these" and he is a serious Suzuki rider!! And I used to own Suzukis and loved them and I loved riding his rocketship, but one day unfortunatly I took a BMW boxer oil head for a ride to Queenstown with my wife and found it very hard to give it back. So now I own one,
They are not a high performance bike but they are awesome on a long trip, if you are going to test ride one make sure you get on the open road

crazybigal
19th February 2007, 20:04
so it sounds like the 1150 is just a heavy adventure bike?
i want to be able to cruise at 120 no problem then upto 150 to pass if i need to. thats were the blackbird comes into its own, so smooth and quiet before you know it your doing 170k but its not a great fit, im 6'3 and i find the ergos about the same as my rf900.
I hear everyone say the BMW box is like a tractor, shit i shift up from 2nd and down without the clutch, feels like an auto its so good. just harsh into first like alot of bikes.
So the 850 is a slug? looks small for gear too, i had 30kg of gear on the bird and most of the time i didnt know it was there

I have just returned from a day ride from CHC to Tekapo, I went with a work mate I was on my R1100S and he was on a GSXR1100.We swaped bikes at Rakaia and rode all the way to Tekapo and back to highway 72 intersection at Thompsons Track about 350 KMs where we stopped and swapped bikes, he went on to Rangiora and I went to Leeston,His words were " I could own one of these" and he is a serious Suzuki rider!! And I used to own Suzukis and loved them and I loved riding his rocketship, but one day unfortunatly I took a BMW boxer oil head for a ride to Queenstown with my wife and found it very hard to give it back. So now I own one,
They are not a high performance bike but they are awesome on a long trip, if you are going to test ride one make sure you get on the open road

miSTa
19th February 2007, 20:24
An adventure bike - yes. Heavy, depends - its lighter than what my ZZR was. As a off road machine then yes its heavy.

i want to be able to cruise at 120 no problem then upto 150 to pass if i need to. thats were the blackbird comes into its own, so smooth and quiet before you know it your doing 170k but its not a great fit, im 6'3 and i find the ergos about the same as my rf900.
The GS's ergos might work for you, depend on long you legs are. I'm 6'2 with longish legs and could do with a fraction more leg room on the longer runs.

The cruising speed and the passing speeds yoru're after are possible but expect to work harder than you would normally do.

I hear everyone say the BMW box is like a tractor, shit i shift up from 2nd and down without the clutch, feels like an auto its so good. just harsh into first like alot of bikes.
Once you get use to the tractor gearbox its just fine and relatively smooth clutchless shifts are possible...eventually

So the 850 is a slug? looks small for gear too, i had 30kg of gear on the bird and most of the time i didnt know it was there
Shit that's a load and a half!

Depending on your budget a 1200GS could be worth looking at - a lot lighter than the 1150 and with more power.

Hitcher
19th February 2007, 20:36
Is that a cat sitting on the side of the road in front of that burdened 'Bird?

crazybigal
19th February 2007, 20:58
haha no, its a black plastic rubbish bag, there was a house right there.
and burdened it was not!

Is that a cat sitting on the side of the road in front of that burdened 'Bird?

crazybigal
19th February 2007, 21:05
yeah i dont think the 1200 is in my bubget right now, id be scraping the bottom of my money box for a good 1150gs. what are they like 11-12K for a good one.

Yeah the bird was fully loaded with all my crap, used most of it too so i didnt come home feeling like i had hauled a bunch of junk around the country for nothing. Went real well though with the weight. Bike is good 2 up and thats what id expect if i get a BMW cos the mrs wants to come on more trips.

An adventure bike - yes. Heavy, depends - its lighter than what my ZZR was. As a off road machine then yes its heavy.

The GS's ergos might work for you, depend on long you legs are. I'm 6'2 with longish legs and could do with a fraction more leg room on the longer runs.

The cruising speed and the passing speeds yoru're after are possible but expect to work harder than you would normally do.

Once you get use to the tractor gearbox its just fine and relatively smooth clutchless shifts are possible...eventually

Shit that's a load and a half!

Depending on your budget a 1200GS could be worth looking at - a lot lighter than the 1150 and with more power.

Blackbird
20th February 2007, 06:32
Here's a picture as promised of a footpeg lowering mod to a Blackbird. This is one which is made in the USA by an accessories manufacturer. However, I've read on several Blackbird websites that the Buell pegs do the job too. All they need is a thin sleeve of alloy or stainless steel to compensate for the small difference in pivot bolt size.

magicfairy
20th February 2007, 08:01
Pillion comment.
My other half BusaJim has had an 1150GS Adventure for a few months now. As the pillion who did many K's off and on road at Christmas, including the Mangatapu, Rainbow, Molesworth, I found it surprising comfortable to tour on. And it was great being able to explore off road.
Sure it is different - especially compared to the Busa, but I am amazed at how comfy I still was at the end of 6-7 hours on the back, just the stock 1 piece seat. I did throw on a sheepskin sometimes, but that was to stop my ample bum from pressing against the grab rail. Neither of us are "small" people.

crazybigal
20th February 2007, 08:21
yeah i have to think about the other half as well! she likes the bird but gets a sore bum and the stupid packrack mounting hits her in the back of the calf.
Im sure she would love the bmw.

Pillion comment.
My other half BusaJim has had an 1150GS Adventure for a few months now. As the pillion who did many K's off and on road at Christmas, including the Mangatapu, Rainbow, Molesworth, I found it surprising comfortable to tour on. And it was great being able to explore off road.
Sure it is different - especially compared to the Busa, but I am amazed at how comfy I still was at the end of 6-7 hours on the back, just the stock 1 piece seat. I did throw on a sheepskin sometimes, but that was to stop my ample bum from pressing against the grab rail. Neither of us are "small" people.

miSTa
20th February 2007, 20:38
yeah i dont think the 1200 is in my bubget right now, id be scraping the bottom of my money box for a good 1150gs. what are they like 11-12K for a good one.
You wouldn't be too far off the mark there, kind of depends on the extras (ABS, heated, factory panniers - which aren't as big as what they might appear)

Pillion comment.
Yeah good point. We the "Rider" seats and Mrs S loves it (though I hate my mine) and also the fact that I'm sitting relatively upright makes things much easier for her to get nice and close.

shafty
20th February 2007, 20:51
You wouldn't be too far off the mark there, kind of depends on the extras (ABS, heated, factory panniers - which aren't as big as what they might appear)

Yeah good point. We the "Rider" seats and Mrs S loves it (though I hate my mine) and also the fact that I'm sitting relatively upright makes things much easier for her to get nice and close.

Mate, if you aren't happy with your Rider seat, give Mac a bell - he will work with you to make it work - we are all built different! He does a good job and stands behind his work, Cheers

miSTa
20th February 2007, 21:35
Mate, if you aren't happy with your Rider seat, give Mac a bell - he will work with you to make it work - we are all built different! He does a good job and stands behind his work, Cheers
I've been meaning to do that but its a bit difficult when the bike is in daily use....bit of a problem really.

MaxB
21st February 2007, 22:26
Firstly Hi, I've been a BMW owner for many years and have an older airhead twin as well as the ZX.

Here are some random thoughts that might help you.

If you want to find out a few things about Beemers try Googling 'IBMWR' and searching the tons of info on the site. Also the BMWOR NZ is a Kiwi based club that might help.

Almost all the twins and singles have good 'off tar seal' manners. The low c.o.g., torque development and narrow tyres help here. Gravel is fun. They are fantastic in the wet too.

Have you considered things not so 'naked' like the early R1100RS? They did not have a belly pan and so the fairing is tucked up out of the way above the pots. They are pretty good 2 up and have a top speed of around 215km/h. Of course a jap 600 has more performance but with heated grips, ABS, 400km tank range, panniers and a happy pillion you won't care a bit. Owners put serious ks on these bikes.

About the panniers, IMHO they are just about the best on the market. I can get 2 full face lids into mine which takes the worry out of going into town for a night out. If you buy a BMW try and get the panniers with it.

Hope this helps.

crazybigal
22nd February 2007, 15:50
thanks for your help mate

Firstly Hi, I've been a BMW owner for many years and have an older airhead twin as well as the ZX.

Here are some random thoughts that might help you.

If you want to find out a few things about Beemers try Googling 'IBMWR' and searching the tons of info on the site. Also the BMWOR NZ is a Kiwi based club that might help.

Almost all the twins and singles have good 'off tar seal' manners. The low c.o.g., torque development and narrow tyres help here. Gravel is fun. They are fantastic in the wet too.

Have you considered things not so 'naked' like the early R1100RS? They did not have a belly pan and so the fairing is tucked up out of the way above the pots. They are pretty good 2 up and have a top speed of around 215km/h. Of course a jap 600 has more performance but with heated grips, ABS, 400km tank range, panniers and a happy pillion you won't care a bit. Owners put serious ks on these bikes.

About the panniers, IMHO they are just about the best on the market. I can get 2 full face lids into mine which takes the worry out of going into town for a night out. If you buy a BMW try and get the panniers with it.

Hope this helps.

Zapf
28th February 2007, 23:43

wow. didn't know you can pack that much gear on the back :)

Zapf
28th February 2007, 23:50
400km tank range

To my shock... I was suprise to find recently that my Blackbird does have 400km tank range. Is anyone getting that?

Zapf
28th February 2007, 23:53
Here's a picture as promised of a footpeg lowering mod to a Blackbird. This is one which is made in the USA by an accessories manufacturer. However, I've read on several Blackbird websites that the Buell pegs do the job too. All they need is a thin sleeve of alloy or stainless steel to compensate for the small difference in pivot bolt size.

mind if I ask what sort of rear tire is that on the back? thanks.

Blackbird
1st March 2007, 05:59
mind if I ask what sort of rear tire is that on the back? thanks.

Either a Michelin Pilot Road, or more likely a Pilot sport HPX. A few of us are now running the newly-released Avon Storm ST with very encouraging results. I'll do a full product report when we get back from the South Island.

shafty
3rd March 2007, 22:45
I'll agree with MaxB, the R1150R is a bike worth checking, - one which could be easily overlooked, but will impress in many ways.

I would make one point in test riding a BM, - make it a decent ride, ie not just round the block.

A good hour or more will give you a chance to get the flow....and don't feel averse to revving it out

Enjoy

crazybigal
5th March 2007, 14:26
hell yeah! but you gota keep as much of the weight as possible off the packrac, they can only hold like 25kg without stressing it.
bike felt good with all the gear on, most of the time it felt as if it wasnt there! i have the rear se fairyl hard, so without gear or pillion its a harsh ride.
All good.

wow. didn't know you can pack that much gear on the back :)

crazybigal
5th March 2007, 14:28
hmm i get 350 at the most! how much does your tank hold? do you run 91 or 95

To my shock... I was suprise to find recently that my Blackbird does have 400km tank range. Is anyone getting that?

Pete_Hoult
6th March 2007, 09:54
My partner and I just completed a quick tour of the South Island on our/my R1200GS. Had everything including the kitchen sink packed and had 7000km completly trouble free including Skippers road and the track through Molesworth Station. Priceless

Zapf
6th March 2007, 17:17
hmm i get 350 at the most! how much does your tank hold? do you run 91 or 95

24L tank they all came with right? I have run 91 and 95 with no diff.

Macktheknife
6th March 2007, 17:39
Try the Triumph Tiger or for something different try the Vstrom 1000, both great bikes.

Bloody Mad Woman (BMW)
6th March 2007, 17:59
I have done alot of touring and at times ride for 6-9 hours a day. On my last tour up north I never suffered from sore wrists as I use my feet to steer alot, then my body, then my hands. Do the rotation thing. But I mainly steer with feet and body, if I have misjudged a corner I really put the hand counter-steering in real fast!!

RantyDave
6th March 2007, 18:16
yeah tiger looks good, do they put out much grunt for the long highway trips?
I had a go on one. Plenty velocity on that thing, make no mistake. Good handling too. If I was really serious about touring I think I'd want an adjustable/bigger windshield though.

Dave

crazybigal
7th March 2007, 16:51
yeah i must say i like the tiger 955I the sexy green colour one :Punk:
must find one to take for a spin, non in wellington, i think there are 2 in palmie north for sale. hmmm road trip!!

Try the Triumph Tiger or for something different try the Vstrom 1000, both great bikes.

crazybigal
7th March 2007, 16:53
no i think older ones had a 20l tank

24L tank they all came with right? I have run 91 and 95 with no diff.

far queue
7th March 2007, 17:23
I have heard you can fit the vfr800 bars to the bird ...Have you seen these (http://www.helibars.com/proddetail.php?prod=HB9703)? With these and a new blade to go with them you could be sorted.

crazybigal
7th March 2007, 18:21
yeah ive seen those, you can also fit the vfr800 bars as well

Have you seen these (http://www.helibars.com/proddetail.php?prod=HB9703)? With these and a new blade to go with them you could be sorted.