PDA

View Full Version : South Island Safari - the daily blog (19 February)

Blairos
19th February 2007, 21:28
Well... Day 1...

We left AKL on Sunday 18th, an awesome day had dawned

2 Busa's and a Bandit headed for Palmy North

Route traveled was SH1 to Rangiriri, over the Waikato River, down to Huntly, then SH39, SH3 to 8 Mile Junction, SH4 to Taumarunui, then thru to Ohakune-Waiouru-Vinegar Hill-P North...

500K completed with 3 cops observed during the whole day it was time to catch up with Chanceyy (sp?)and U4EA, hand over the Rode Code as promised - a couple of ales and a good feed later, it was time to rest up for the evening

The weather was perfect, as the pic below will attest to...

This is going to be a daily (if possible) update wih pics :)

scumdog
20th February 2007, 00:18
So how long before you get down this far?????

NighthawkNZ
20th February 2007, 06:31
Let us know if you get here and I may go for a blat after I put the kettle on... :)

Blairos
20th February 2007, 07:31
Yesterday, another fine day dawned in Palmy North - after speaking with a couple of local KBers the evening prior, it was decided the quickest way to Wellington was to avoid SH1.

So we took the Pahiatua Track, down through the Wairarapa (stopped for a quick booster at Ekatahuna (See Pic 1)

From there we had a ferry to catch, so off we went... 4 bikes/5 people

Through all the towns that are dotted around the Wairarapa then the Rimutaka Hill...

I had never ridden this lovely piece of road, and I can now see why all you Welly people rave about it! WHAT A BLAST

After making the ferry (just), a very pleasant sailing over the Mainland was had.

Copped a bit of sun during the sailing, but the pics show it was a pretty smooth ride across :)

Got to Picton, then over the Queen Charlotte Drive to Havelock.

I read some other posts about how this had been reduced to 50KM/H as a speed limit, to a point I can see why - man its a tight twisty neat piece of road!
A lot of tourists were out on this section of road but we got past them as required...

Thru to Havelock, stopped for a quick refresher - it was a fairly warm day...

Then off to Nelson - the road here is in AWESOME condition, and allowed for a good trip - the Rai Saddle is just a lovely thing... :)

Got to Nelson, a good feed and couple of ales later (and Sambuca for someone in particular) it was off to bed...

Now Day 3 has dawned another cracker of a day - so will complete the next instalment once its been created!

Cheers

terbang
20th February 2007, 07:58
There is life below the bombay line and off the Coro loop. Paihiatua track, Riutaka, that windeey road between Picton and Nelson and (nearly) too much alcohol last night means the old bod is taking a beating. Time for a gentle ride over to Takaka to clear my head..! For a fat Sprotbike the Hayabusa is certainly a comfortable one up tourer and the commonly used term 'Hyper tourer' (for want of a classification) is very apt. It just chews up tyres a bit quick being my only complaint.

RedKLR650
20th February 2007, 08:04
Yesterday, another fine day dawned in Palmy North - after speaking with a couple of local KBers the evening prior, it was decided the quickest way to Wellington was to avoid SH1.Got to Nelson, a good feed and couple of ales later (and Sambuca for someone in particular) it was off to bed...Now Day 3 has dawned another cracker of a day - so will complete the next instalment once its been created!
Cheers

Any chance of listing where you are likely to be ( or be between on what days so those with some time could maybe catch up and ride with you guys for a while or just catch up for a coffee even ?

What about a contact cellphone # from someone in your group so others can call in the evenings to find your next days route and arrange meeting points ?

Cheers, Stu :scooter:

MyGSXF
20th February 2007, 08:14
BUGGER... I missed this one.. :doh: I would have come & said gidday while ya's were in town!!! :bye:

Safe trip people!!!!!! :Punk:

Jen :rockon:

Blairos
21st February 2007, 07:16
Hi again!

What a day it was - Left Nelson after a nice feed at this Cafe/Bar that sits over the water at Nelson Harbour - twas a good start to what turned out to be a full-on day.
Terbang, as his previous post suggested, was nursing a "slight" hangover, but I couls have sworn he was over it once we got under way towards Motueka.

The road along the cost there is something I will never grow tired of, nice condition, great sweepers, parts where the water is almost lapping on the road, and then going past the tidal estuary with a clear sky above... GREAT!

Quick stop in Motueka, then we were on our way... Destination Takaka, via the Hill...

As a kid, I went over this road dozens of times in a Newmans Bus, it was never much fun... but a Bike is a different story - WOW

Tight, Twisty, some nice open bits of road, awesome condition (apart from a couple of un-signposted bits of grit which nearly got me on the second corner), views to die for from the top, a Bayley Bridge just after Eureka Bend (a nice little 15km/h hairpin on the takaka side) - 27 K of this gave the arms a good workout.

Got to Takaka 20K's later, then we decided to head out to Pohara Beach.

It was pretty warm, so we all decided to get down to the grunds and go for a swim - best thing I could have done, as it certainly took the edge off the heat after that... and what the hell, we are on holiday!

Once dried off, we wanted to get as close to the West Coast as we could by days end, so off we zoomed, for another crack at that hill - by the time we stopped for a quick rest at the Riwaka Pub, a few of us were just about all twistied out for one day :)

Gassed up in Riwaka, then went via Motueka, Tapawera, Kawatere Junction, then down through the beautiful valleys to Muchison.

This was to be our stop for the night.

A good feed at the Hampton Hotel (we were staying there too) a few beers, watched NZ clean out Australia in the last over of the Cricket, had a yak to a road repair crew that were staying - they told me where to expect any repair work in the area for the next bit of our trip.

Went to bed, and then discovered a peculiar thing about Muchison - its got to be the noisiest place to try and sleep at night - with trucks rolling through the place what seemed every 5 mins! Made for a challenge to nod off, but once there only got woken up every 40 mins LOL

Today we head for the Coast proper, so the next instalment shall be from a yet-to-be-determined location for our next stop.

Loving this trip so far, and its only been 3 days!

Pic 1 - the 2 Busa's pulling up to a stop on the Takaka Hill
Pic 2 - View back towards Nelson
Pic 3 - the rabble (minus me taking the pic)
Pic 4 - View down the Takaka side of "the hill"
Pic 5 - View looking at where Pic 4 was taken
Pic 6 - Another look down at what was to come :)

Blairos
21st February 2007, 07:21
Any chance of listing where you are likely to be ( or be between on what days so those with some time could maybe catch up and ride with you guys for a while or just catch up for a coffee even ?

What about a contact cellphone # from someone in your group so others can call in the evenings to find your next days route and arrange meeting points ?

Cheers, Stu :scooter:

Cell is 021-471-317 - we will likely be over that way at/after the weekend - send me a text and I'll let you know where we are at :)

u4ea
21st February 2007, 19:03
wow..sounds like you guys are having a great time and the weather is turning it on for you...those pics are awesome!!!!!cant wait to read ya nxt post...

terbang
23rd February 2007, 08:15
Well here we are in Hawea. After a very disturbed sleep (bloody trucks) in Murchison it was a gentle ride down the coast to Ross. Awesome weather and good roads. Jolly good old night in the Ross pub (Hic Hic) followed by a painless sleep in the backpackers there. Bailed out of ross heading for Queenstown. The west coast showed it's true colours (It pissed down) with a quiet ride down to Haast and over the pass. As soon as we crossed the divide the weather improved and the pace settled to the usual. We spread out a little with Nigel on his busa (as usual) charging off ahead to collect the tickets and Shane and I settling into a brisk pace matching each other well and enjoying the pass ride. Blairos was TEC as he was the official photographer. Stopped in Makarora for a pint and to let Blair catch up and a trucky pulled in and mumbled something like 'Fucken stupid fucken motorbiker grumble grumble grumble and if he's a mate of yours then at least he's on his feet..?:gob:. Finally established that Blair was down, put down the pints (damn) and went to the rescue. Not too much carnage really though he was a bit shook up and was in need of a break. Bike was rideable though the tip of the gear lever is broken off. Back to Makarora and after a makeshift (hah a pun) job on the gearlever and some taping up of fairings, she'll do the rest of the trip fine and beaut. Blair is fine and rode down to Hawea here and is happy to continue. Today Shane leaves us as he has to go back to work and Nigel is off to Dunedin to visit his son. We will pick him up again north bound.
Blair and I are outta here in the next 1/2 hour heading to Te anau via Milford if all goes well to, overnite (fri nite) then on saturday we hope to hit Balclutha
for an overnighter. We heard a few stories about the local constabulary there that we wanted to prove wrong. From there its north-bound on around sundayish to christchurch then to picton via both passes with maybe a nite stop somewhere as well. (any ideas?)

My hand phone is 021772769

Silverfern
23rd February 2007, 20:28
Hiya, if you can, head south via Manapouri, right down to Tuatapere, then right follow highway 99 around the bottom via Te Wae wae Bay. Go to Colac Bay, Riverton then across to Invercargill. Try and find SH 92 (the scenic route via the Catlins) Go through main Street Invercargill, as if going to Bluff , then turn left, go to Fortrose (SH92). If you dont mind about 13 km of gravel turn right at Fort Rose and go around via Slope Point, the view and surf of Porpoise Bays are so good. Then you get back on the scenic route and some brilliant sealed twisty roads, just watch the campervans. If you want to stay on tarseal aim for Tokanui and miss Slope Point and Porpoise Bay.. It brings you back to Balclutha.

I did this trip by car two weeks ago, the roads are fantastic and the route is so much better than going straight from Te Anau to Balclutha. With heaps of photo stops it took us about 7 hours, if speed is your aim I'm sure you can do it in a lot less (but miss out on some fantastic places.)
Go north from Dunedin via Weston, Kurow, Otematata, Twizel, Pukaki and Tekapo, Fairlie and Geraldine and Rakaia Gorge. All good roads and soooo much better than SH 1. (Watch straights north of Otematata, I got caught at 117kmp, the roads are so straight!)
Safe riding

Blairos
24th February 2007, 07:38
Hi there

Yesterday was a fairly big one, had plenty of things we wanted to try and achieve... so the day went like this...

Left Hawea, toodled over to Wanaka for breakfast about 9:30, loaded up on the Human Fuel before bidding adieu to our lone Kawasaki man Shane, and his missus Cheryl (they headed back home to ChCh after being out on the road for about 14 days), and Nigel aimed for Dunedin for a Family visit over there.

Bruce (Terbang) and I then headed up the Crown Range road towards Queenstown.
Road through here is pretty good, bar one set of roadworks, got to the top and realised how bloody cold it had become! We descended down through a bit of cloud and arrived at Queenstown to gas up.

Headed down the side of Lake Wakatipu towards Kingston, and discovered a very motorcycle-unfriendly feature of this road...
Telecom, in their wisdom, have laid some phone/fibre cables down this road... not off to one side, but right down the middle of the southbound lane.
It was raised, and made the section of this trip a bloody nightmare for cornering lines, and just to add some flavour, threw in a little loose gravel every now and again:angry: (just to remind me of my off a couple of days earlier)

Once safely navigated, It was getting a little cold, so a quick stop at Kingston allowed another layer to be applied, then off we went.

The roads thru Garston, Athol and down to Five Rivers are great! Long straights, nice sweepers... ahhh, I love the South! :)

Quick coffee at Five Rivers, then off to Te Anau. A good pace thru to here, and once we sorted accommodation, we got some gas, then off to Milford.

The weather was a cracker, and this experience on a bike left me speechless from a scenery perspective.

I had previously done the Milford Road a few years ago, in a cage, IN THE WINTER, and the weather was shit.

Yesterday, it was warm (ish), clear, with only a few clouds about.

The road was pretty rough in parts, mainly due to the volume of buses that do this trip daily, Bruce had tightened up the suspension on his Busa to allow for the Bike Pack he was carrying for this trip, so when we dropped those off prior to departure, it had quite an effect on his ride, without all that weight on the back.
Bruce likened it to "feeling like Ive been beaten up" once we got back as a result.

back to the road, some hidden gotchas lay in wait, such as moss (green), and the odd bit of crushed grit, which made for a bit of a challenge in places.

Got to the Homer Tunnel, sat there for a few minutes whilst waiting for the lights to change.

There were a couple of Kea that were happily trying to destroy the rubber linings on a Camper Van, then one tried to climb up on Bruce's Busa (didnt succeed of course)
After watching the Worlds only Alpine Parrot and getting a few laughs, it was time to head thru to Homer Tunnel and down to Milford.
By this time I was out of words to describe it, so I will let the pics tell the story :)

Had a quick refreshment, then headed back in good time to Te Anau - went down to the Moose Pub, met some locals (one had just bought an R6 and ridden it down from Auckland to Te Anau in 2 days... arse of steel I would suggest) had a couple of bevvies and a feed, then the day was done.

Day 7 has dawned quite chilly, but the weather is looking good for the next sector, which will be Manapouri, Invercargill, Catlins, Balclutha

Till the next update!

Pic 1 - early into the Milford Road
Pic 2 - Scenery
Pic 3 - Scenery
Pic 4 - Scenery
Pic 5 - a modest snow-fed waterfall
Pic 6 - more scenery

Blairos
24th February 2007, 07:49
Pic 1 - another waterfall at the entrance to the Homer tunnel (there was a bit of snow around here too

Pic 2 - Homer Tunnel entrance
Pic 3 - Kea next to Busa front wheel
Pic 4 - Keas with a tourist
Pic 5 - Milford
Pic 6 - A classic shot of the bikes

terbang
24th February 2007, 08:18
There is life off the Coro loop. The paihiatua track, Rimutakas, Rai saddle, Takaka hill, West coast, Haast pass and the Milford road so far and more to come.! And then there are the sweepers and the loooong straights.

Scouse
24th February 2007, 08:20
Nice one guy looks like yoes are having a fantastic time sorry to hear about your woopsie Blair good to see your ok if you are any thing like me its the ego that takes the biggest pounding great pix by the way take it easy I look forward to tomorows instalment

Blairos
24th February 2007, 17:01
We have made it safe and sound and are now enjoying the Balclutha hospitality ScumDog style... :)

Our planned route tomorrow is to meet up with our 3rd group member Nigel at the Mosgiel Shell Station at noon tomorrow, the plan being to head up SH87 and join up to SH85 and head back to Alexandra - from there we plan to head up Lake Dunstan then over the Lindis and finish up at Kurow for the night

So if there are any Otago KBers that wanna come for a zoom tomorrow, then meet us at 12 noon at the Shell Station in Mosgiel! you can txt me on 021-471-317 if required.

Will put up a separate post later to summarise day 7 - another long one in the saddle, but an awesome day!

Cheers! :ride:

Jantar
24th February 2007, 18:18
I'm on night shift, and probably wont get out of bed till around 2:00pm. But as soon as I'm up I'll go cruising and see if I can catch you guys on the road somewhere, then ride part of way with you. :scooter:

Blondini
24th February 2007, 18:53
Sounds like you are having a great time..Glad blairos ok too:yes: Great pics keep em coming ..The south island is such a beautiful place:love:

Bytor
24th February 2007, 19:15
This is just wetting my appetite to go and do it myself - awesome guys

Blairos
24th February 2007, 19:47
The morning today dawned a beautiful one in Te Anau

We were on the road to Manapouri for Breakfast around 9:30, and once again I was gobsmacked by the sights to be seen en-route - we are so lucky to have what we have in NZ :gob:

After a hearty feed at the Cathedral Cafe, it was off to Invercargill via Tuatapere, and Riverton. Some pretty awesome scenery to be witnessed again...

Roadwise, it was pretty much perfect, the South Island has not let us down too badly when it comes to the state of the roads here - the usual summer-time Tar Snakes are about, but overall its a 10 out of 10...

Had a quick stop at Tuatapere due to a bit of rib pain, but I have discovered a unique support system in the form of my "not-in-use" visor - I tried it on the way to Milford yesterday... it just tucks nicely under my jacket, and must be giving some needed support to that area, as the pain pretty much disappeared after that.

Got throught to Invercargill, decided to gas up only, and head out to the Catlins to satisfy the lunch cravings. Stopped at Fortrose for a quick scoff, and then we were off via the coastal route.

As there was a 14K gravel stretch on this route, I thought it might be good to do a quick 4K section out to Waipapa Point - it was then I discovered the nice little surprises that gravel can provide you on a road bike :) (no - i didnt bin again LOL)

After making our way thru to Curio Bay, a quick stop to admire the view was had, then it was set course for Balclutha

The Catlins... a must ride for any motorcyclist, thats all I need to say!

A real mix of twisties, and long sweeping bends, with some awesome views designed to distract...

So, we made it to our host's (Scumdog) place, have enjoyed the hospitality offered so far...(anyone eaten Hare before? Its quite delicious!)

So, I am here sucking down a speights on the deck, and contemplating to collection of vehicles (both 4 wheel and two) that are present on the Chez-Scumdog Estate :-), and the 400-odd K completed today...

So its off to Central tomorrow - will post a summary of that tomorrow (beer permitting)

Pic 1 - the mountains around Te Anau this morning
Pic 2 - Lake Manapouri
Pic 3 - A peak we managed to avoid in the Hunter Mountains :)
Pic 4 - Terbang in front of same peak
Pic 5 - Lighthouse at Waipapa Point
Pic 6 - Curio Bay

_Gina_
25th February 2007, 10:27
Wicked stuff boys!

Just found this thread and read it through. What can I say except I am sooo jealous, :)

What a hard man you are Blairos, well done keeping on going.

What day are you coming back through to Auckland? Might ride down to accompany you through, so I can pretend I have been on a South Island tour ;)

G

terbang
26th February 2007, 16:35
Well outta Balclutha we went to Taieri where we met up with Nigel (other Busa) and rode to Kurow via Ranfurly Alex and the Lindis pass. Thanks Scumdog & CB for an awesome night of fine company. Another gentleman riding a Veestrom stopped us in Alex and asked if we had seen a couple of blackbirds..? Was that you Jantar as I just looked at your profile and the bike matches? A boozey night in the Kurow pub saw us heading to CHC via Ohau Pukaki, Tekapo, Burkes pass, fairlie, Geraldine and Methven to Christchurch where we stay overnight. I've gotta do something about my tyres as they are both pretty shagged and will (if I ride quietly) only get me to Wellington.

scumdog
26th February 2007, 16:39
I've gotta do something about my tyres as they are both pretty shagged and will (if I ride quietly) only get me to Wellington.

Maybe ya might need to look at your riding style then?:wait:

Blairos
26th February 2007, 16:59
Pic 1 - Moi at a beach just north of Taieri Mouth
Pic 2 - Pic of some awesome cloud formations at Middlemarch
Pic 3 - Bruce and Nigel at the top of the Lindis
Pic 4 - 2 Busas found lurking at Benmore :)
Pic 5 - View from the top of the Benmore Dam

Blairos
26th February 2007, 17:04
Pic 1 - the sky out of the Kurow Hotel window this morning
Pic 2 - Terbang at the upper end of Lake Ohau
Pic 3 - Nigel doing the same
Pic 4 - Lake Ohau
Pic 5 - Pukaki end of the Hydro Canal System in the MacKenzie country
Pic 6 - View back over the lovely calm canal to the bikes :)

Blairos
26th February 2007, 17:06

We never did check out your chicken strips did we? :blip:

Maha
26th February 2007, 17:18
We never did check out your chicken strips did we? :blip:

Well Blairos i have to say mate that....those are without doubt the the best set of pic's i have seen on here period!. Looks and sounds like guys are having the best time and im envious....:yes:

terbang
26th February 2007, 18:31

Whadaya mean? All worn out in the centre and managing 18 kays to the litre..!:innocent:

terbang
26th February 2007, 18:34
BUY MY SPORTY YA BASTIDGES!!!
(See it on the For Sale section)

I can vouch for a nice bike there too..! Tassels optional I suspect...

scumdog
26th February 2007, 20:23
Whadaya mean? All worn out in the centre and managing 18 kays to the litre..!:innocent:

Hmm, 51m.p.g huh?.

Well, I suppose it's not TOO far behind my T-Sports 58mpg when two up with all the touring gear for two on board.

BTW Took the T-Bird in to get VIN'd, one of the things it was turned down for was the windscreen washer squirted the water over the roof onto the ground behind the car!

Of course, at a 100kph it would be hitting the windscreen - but the dude mustn't have thought THAT I guess.

AND Thanks for the 'koha' terbang - having a tipple with it right now and CB agrees it's quite tasty too!!

TONO
26th February 2007, 20:29
Hey you guys just found the thread, awesome trip and great photo's.:yes:
Remember Bruce saying you were going to do the S.I.trip in the New Year.
Have convinced my other 1/2 that we should do it to and are looking at Next March/April.
You guys have a safe ride home and we will catch up with you later no doubt.

RedKLR650
27th February 2007, 06:52
.......to Christchurch where we stay overnight. I've gotta do something about my tyres as they are both pretty shagged and will (if I ride quietly) only get me to Wellington.

Go and see Don at Cycletreads on Manchester St, Christchurch. I can reccomend their service highly, and the $$$$ are very competitive ( read as cheap as chips..... ) Park the bike outside, give him the keys, go for a coffee and in 15 min you can come back, give the man some fun vouchers and ride away......

Good luck for the rest of the trip

Stu :scooter:

terbang
27th February 2007, 07:32
Go and see Don at Cycletreads on Manchester St, Christchurch. I can reccomend their service highly, and the $$$$ are very competitive ( read as cheap as chips..... ) Park the bike outside, give him the keys, go for a coffee and in 15 min you can come back, give the man some fun vouchers and ride away......

Good luck for the rest of the trip

Stu :scooter:

Thanks for that and will make my way over there this morning..

u4ea
27th February 2007, 08:24
wow!!!What a a great trip so far:yes: .have to love those keas too...and Terbang I hope Scumdog gave you a "hair of a dog" for those hic hic moments!!!!The photos and blogs are awesome .......thanx guys!!:rockon:

chanceyy
27th February 2007, 11:38
finally caught up with ya blog there Blair .. great read fabulous pics

keep them coming :D

Blairos
28th February 2007, 07:15
What day are you coming back through to Auckland? Might ride down to accompany you through, so I can pretend I have been on a South Island tour ;)

G

We are leaving the Wellington area about 9am this morning, will be heading back via New Plymouth (should be through there around 12 or 1), so send me a txt on 021-471-317 - you can link up and be part of the trip! :blip:

terbang
28th February 2007, 19:09
4938 KM and 11 days after heading south I ride up my driveway. A fairly leisurely daily pace that has seen us ride a lot of the country's notorious roads. Biggish push today of nearly 700 KM from Waikanai, New plymouth to AKL. A good exercise in steady riding and group thought though. Had to fit new tyres in CHC where I changed brands to Michelin Pilot power which are so far nice tyres, especially in the wet. Though after the Avons they feel a bit rubbery (no pun).

Blairos
28th February 2007, 19:39
As per Terbangs post - we completed our adventure today, I arrived at home around 6pm-ish.

So, to recap, this is what we covered...

Day 1 - Auckland-Ohakune-Palmy North

Day 2 - Palmy North-Pahiatua Track-Ekatahuna-Featherston-Rimutakas-Wellington-Picton-Queen Charlotte Drive-Rai Saddle-Nelson

Day 3 - Nelson-Motueka-Takaka Hill-Takaka-Pohara Beach-Takaka Hill (again)-Riwaka-Motueka-Tapawera-Kohatu-Murchison

Day 4 - Murchison-Berlins-Buller Gorge-Punakaiki-Blackball-Greymouth-Hokitika-Mahinapua-Ross

Day 5 - Ross-Franz Joseph Glacier-Fox Glacier-Haast-Makarora-Hawea

Day 6 - Hawea-Wanaka-Crown Range-Queenstown-Kingston-5 Rivers-Te Anau-Milford Sound-Te Anau

Day 7 - Te Anau-Manapouri-Tuatapere-Riverton-Invercargill-Catlins Coastal Route-Balclutha

Day 8 - Balclutha-Taieri Mouth-Mosgiel-Middlemarch-Ranfurly-Alexandra-Cromwell-Tarras-Lindis Pass-Omarama-Benmore Dam-Kurow

Day 9 - Kurow-Omarama-Lake Ohau Road-Twizel-Pukaki-Canal Roads-Tekapo-Burkes Pass-Geraldine-Mayfield-Rakaia Gorge-Darfield-Rolleston

Day 10 - Rolleston-ChCh-Kaikoura-Blenheim-Picton-Wellington-Waikanae

Day 11 - Waikanae-Levin-Sanson-Bulls-Wanganui-Hawera-Eltham-Stratford-New Plymouth-Mokau-Te Kuiti- Otarahanga-Ngaruawahia-Auckland/Waiuku :)

An awesome trip - am collating all the pics in the next day and will post a link to the album!

Highlights:
The Scenery (goes without saying)
The Roads
The company
The Food
The Beer
The Accommodation
The reliability of all our Bikes
How group riding should be (one or two blips along the way, but I sure learnt a lot)
Scumdogs Hospitality

Lowlights:
My Bin near Makarora
The weather on the way to Haast
The state of North Island roads compared to the South
The wind on day 9

I want to thank Terbang for his wisdom and experience, I learnt a hell of a lot about motorcycling on this trip, Nigel (non-KBer) for being the practical joker at every opportunity, Shane and his missus (whos name escapes me presently, I must be tired :) ) for being 2-up on some real challenging roads, and for the foot-pegs pointer... Thanks to all the people who put us up on our travels

I hope this blog has kept you all informed along the way - will let you know once the album is up

Cheers!

terbang
28th February 2007, 21:31
Scumdogs Hospitality

Yup Scumdog... Calls himself loud and uncouth. Well the whole Riviera of the south package, including the bike and riding gear is different, maybe a bit loud but definatly not uncouth.
Top people him and CB, who made us very welcome in their home, proving the old saying 'you cant judge a book by it's Avatar'..!

scumdog
1st March 2007, 07:59
Thanks for the nice comments guys - but don't forget C.B had a fair input too!

beyond
1st March 2007, 14:42
Hey, thanks for posting all that and the oiccies. Me jealous and should have gone :(

Work sux.

Blondini
6th March 2007, 14:13
Sounds like a great trip guys..Glad you are all home safe.Take care:yes: