PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on "becoming unglued" for corners

90s
20th February 2007, 08:33
Thought this was a pretty well explained article on getting off the bike for cornering:

http://www.soundrider.com/archive/safety-skills/coming_unglued.htm

Steam
20th February 2007, 09:39
Good article. Thanks for posting that. I always wondered.

avgas
20th February 2007, 09:59
to me it was acutally like reading the necronomicon (sp!), complete rubbish until you experience it

Ixion
20th February 2007, 12:15
to me it was acutally like reading the necronomicon (sp!), complete rubbish until you experience it

You've experienced the necronomicon :eek: :gob:

Squeak the Rat
20th February 2007, 12:26
Klatu Veratu Ni....*cough cough cough*

avgas
20th February 2007, 12:35
You've experienced the necronomicon :eek: :gob:

It was a very boring day at the workshop :)

surfer
20th February 2007, 17:17
Good article. Really enjoy hanging off.

My bike has a low clearance and is long so I have tended to hang off the bike as a consequence to get round without scraping stuff off. Also riding with a slightly low (cough) tyre pressure means this is probably safer than fully committing to a corner using counter steering. I have had a few curious comments about this from sports bike riders that have been behind me whilst going round corners but I've not really been able to explain it so well as in the article. Sometimes my comments have been met with some derision as counter steering is put forward as the way to corner properly along with being glued in the seat.

I will continue to use both counter steering and hanging off depending on the road. So thanks.

Hotchefnz
21st February 2007, 08:47
Informative and interesting reading.
Thanks for posting

90s
21st February 2007, 10:35
After reading this I had a better idea about something the article doesn't discuss - breaking. Clearly from the pics if the combined CG is off the bike so that the bike corners more upright you can use more breaking should you need to (not that I am suggesting breaking through corners is a good idea!).

steved
22nd February 2007, 11:31
Nice article. I hadn't though about the ease of turning but it definitely fits with my experiences. One of those, 'aw yeah' moments.

Roj
23rd February 2007, 10:07
great article, I have been riding for a few decades but this explains things in a way I can't