PDA

View Full Version : quick blat (& blt?) saturday

Coldkiwi
13th June 2003, 13:41
For anyone who's got a need...

meet marmoot and myself tomorrow at clevedon shell. aiming to leave by 10:30

going mercer..(or somewhere) via hunua and backroads... then goodness knows where but back in Auck by 4pm at latest.

:niceone:

Antallica
13th June 2003, 14:58
Bugger, I want to go!

*curses not knowing Auckers*

bluninja
13th June 2003, 15:03
Shame I'm getting set up for racing on Sunday. Have a good one.

TTFN

andy1
13th June 2003, 16:31
yee ha. dont tell me that u are going to mercer again marmoot???
what about the twisties in whanga. its been awhile since we blasted through there! :D ciao ciao

doc
13th June 2003, 20:09
yep I'll be there this weather is too good to waste

Marmoot
13th June 2003, 22:43
whanga is good but *heck* getting there is a bugger. Plus, after the meeting with copper around Kopu the last time (honestly) I'm now kinda freaked out to go through all those straights.

Hunua+Waingaro = 350km of twists

Whanga = 400+km trip with only 60% twist

Nah....probably next week :o

bikerboy
14th June 2003, 12:26
"Weather too good to waste", as usual it has crapped out in time for the weekend. Hope the guys have a good ride. Glad I went on Friday.:D

Antallica
14th June 2003, 15:34
Yeah, it's pretty much ready to piss down here in Whangarei as I type.

Hope you guys got a good enough blast though.

MikeL
14th June 2003, 17:37
A few spots of rain on the way back, that's all. Didn't see much sun, though.
Great fun, a couple of minor mishaps but nothing too serious. Awesome roads!:niceone:

Marmoot
14th June 2003, 18:16
't was better than I expected ('xcept for the cold....)
Good pace :)

doc: How's the bike n everything? Hope it wouldn't put you off riding with us again :rockon:

MikeL: always faster on the way home, eh? :D

MikeL
14th June 2003, 20:37
Originally posted by Marmoot
always faster on the way home, eh? :D

Yeah, I suppose I was being a bit cautious on the way down. Decided early on I wouldn't try to keep up with you guys, rode at my own pace, but still scared myself at a couple of corners. Not sure now whether the limitation is me or the bike... Still, managed to scrape the pegs more times on this ride than anytime previously. :p

doc
14th June 2003, 21:36
Yep great ride guys pity about the ditches tho, see ya next trip at my pace

Antallica
15th June 2003, 06:36
What route did you guys take?

Marmoot
15th June 2003, 19:23
Ended up going Hunua-Kopu-Hikuai-Whanga-Waihi and back the same way....I'm easily swayed :o

750Y
16th June 2003, 10:16
did You guys have a twin in the group somewhere?
I heard a multi revving out the other side of Hunua just after 11 then all i could hear was this big fat twin noise which drowned everything else out. I can always hear the bikes as they make their way through hunua. I was working as usual around home. it's always a tease and makes me wanna go riding when i hear them coming through.

MikeL
16th June 2003, 11:30
Originally posted by 750Y
did You guys have a twin in the group somewhere?

That would have been Doc's Sportster...

Coldkiwi
17th June 2003, 12:35
the multi being revved could've been a number of culprits (2 CBR 954s, 1 ZX 6, 1 gsxr 1000 etc).. but most likely it was Andy1 on his 250 being a maniac!

time for a new helmet and some cut slicks eh mate?? :)

bikerboy
17th June 2003, 18:55
What's the story with doc and ditches?

Were you maniacs causing doc to take unneccesary risks due to the intense peer pressure from a group of young hooligans?:o

Honestly, it's no wonder the pole ez have to crack down on loud pipes. Just as well I stayed home in the warm dry house, polishing the ducati.:argh: :angry2:

andy1
17th June 2003, 19:37
i noticed that no one has said anything about the wheelies that the 954 was doing. amazing stuff passing cars at 160 on the back wheel standing up, besides the close calls and my slide thanks for the ride guys! :)
ciao ciao

750Y
18th June 2003, 09:57
Sounds like a pretty hardcore thrash to me. I am scared just hearing about it. Glad Y'all stayed safe.

Marmoot
18th June 2003, 17:06
bb: take extra care. The paint could be scraped off if you polish it for too much :p

bikerboy
18th June 2003, 17:45
:( I don't really polish the bike but I tell Coldkiwi that so he won't suspect I only ride when the weather is good. He also feels bad about the state of his bike.

It took me ages to get the" fair weather biker" tag changed to"highway biker"!:

:D

Coldkiwi
18th June 2003, 20:17
you're a harsh man john!! although..i am feeling a little self-concious about the way my exhaust holder fractured off last week... and those bits of duct tape on the front mudguard.. yes, and the fact that its filthy.... But it DOES get used everyday!! so it ain't so bad...

I was gonna polish/wash it on sunday but the weather was still so dismal there was hardly any point!:argh:

as for the 500m wheelies (and insane overtakes/stoppies) the guy on the 954 was doing... yeah, I wouldn't recommend them either. Still he didn't bin it eh? :P

750Y
19th June 2003, 10:13
as for the 500m wheelies (and insane overtakes/stoppies) the guy on the 954 was doing... yeah, I wouldn't recommend them either. Still he didn't bin it eh? :P

phew! glad to hear it's not all that crazy for everyone, cos I'd like to join in sometime but I'm not into that sort of riding just yet. I haven't got the skills or the balls for it. And I know everyone can go their own pace, but at my pace, I'd probably be riding by myself (as usual).

and on the subject of polishing, I haven't cleaned my bike this year. Just wiped the wheels down once and the pipe too. but i have changed the oil/filter several times and the brake fluid/plugs etc. so I don't feel it's neglected at all. the daily commute dirties it then the rain rinses it and on it goes.

MikeL
19th June 2003, 11:03
Originally posted by 750Y
I know everyone can go their own pace, but at my pace, I'd probably be riding by myself (as usual).

No, there'd be the two of us...

BTW my philosophy on bike cleaning is very similar to yours: in a word, don't. But like you, I am scrupulous about the maintenance.

bikerboy
19th June 2003, 11:41
No there would be three of us !!!!

:done:

750Y
19th June 2003, 11:48
No, there'd be the two of us...

yeah right LOL! weren't You scraping Your pegs MikeL?
I only ever scraped my peg one time(on the gsxr) and that was right before a highside.

haha! maybe we could get a tailenders group happening!
sounds like 3 for starters. it could catch on and they'll all want to ride at the back and there'd be intense competition for last place. I can just imagine the starting line debacle, after You, no after You, ahhh but I insist, ladies before gentlemen etc. etc.

MikeL
19th June 2003, 21:15
Yes, but despite the fact that I was taking many corners a lot faster than I would have done previously, I still couldn't keep up. Seems I need either bigger balls or a bigger bike. I think I'll get a bigger bike...:p

bluninja
20th June 2003, 09:44
With bigger balls you have to hang off more to stop em getting trapped against the tank, and thus end up riding faster:p

TTFN

Coldkiwi
20th June 2003, 17:29
[i]
the daily commute dirties it then the rain rinses it and on it goes. [/B]

the rain cleans it!? Do you get special rain in Hunua or something? Mine stays pretty clean if its dry, but add some surface water and it all goes a horrible brown colour.. although not quite as brown as doc's sportster was on saturday!! :)

but I have to clean it anyway... the g/f's dad owns an '81 corvette stingray that is pampered beyond belief so if I want to stay in their good books I need to make an effort to show I care about my machine too... which i do :)

andy1
20th June 2003, 19:57
ciao
hey doc, how's your boots? you must have taken in so much water i cant belive that you rode those straight's to kopu must have been an extra 10kgs on your legs.

mikeL i saw those sparks flying into me! great riding man.

As you guys are talking about cleaning, was wondering if anyone knows whats the best stuff to give ya chain a clean? Thanks

Arrivederci

Marmoot
20th June 2003, 22:33
WD40 :niceone:
And a good scrub off with an old toothbrush, followed by liberal amount of WD40 spray.

Add a spray of chainlube after that, leave overnight to dry, and it will run as smooth as a baby's a$$

Just don't do it too often.....it sure needs a lot of time :o

Coldkiwi
21st June 2003, 23:54
kerosene .. teh all purpose cleaner and a toothbrush works well.. but is inevitably messy! Followed up with a drying rag and then some quality chain lube (got some shell advance stuff which sticks pretty nice)... works well for me

750Y
24th June 2003, 14:01
the rain cleans it!? Do you get special rain in Hunua or something?

special rain... LOL

It's not the quality it's more the quantity. Yes it's quite moist round the hills.
I do get a fair bit of 'cowspray' on it too but i like the grunge look.(stuck in the 90's im afraid) 8-)
there's nothing quite like the look of a fine peice of machinery with crap sprayed all up the sides of it.
also I'm lazy(the real reason), but i have a 400m dirt/mud/gravel driveway to deal with every morning & night not to mention the neighbour who herds his cows across the road to the milking shed every morning/evening.
I know i'm a sick man but hey, it's all good underneath that crappy exterior(the bike i mean).