PDA

View Full Version : A long weekend, and possibly dirty tank?

BNZ
21st February 2007, 22:11
I went away to the Bay of Islands this weekend for an amazing couple of days drinking, sailing, swimming, diving, fishing, wakeboarding and biking. Trust me, it had to be an amazing weekend as the "events" througout the weekend would have made it a right shitter otherwise.

Event #1 - Sat AM, a little hungover get up for a quick morning ride in Russel. Backing the bike down the driveway, turn around on the hill with side stand down. Side stand catches on ground (daaah!), bike goes over. I caught it kinda, but managed to snap the right mirror and smash up the right front indicator. Fuck it, mirrors were shit. Will get a decent pair from a wrecker next week. Cant be pissed off now, weekend is just starting.

Event #2 - Just a little one. Had an awesome weekend out on the boats, sailing back in sunday arvo and some retard loses my Oakleys over the side. $200 down the toilet, still weekend too good to be pissed off.

Event #3 - Riding home (with one mirror - grrr). Gas up in Whangarei, heading south about 20km and bike loses power when cruising at about 140kph. Sounds like its missing, pull over, clutch in, bike dies. Scratch my head, start it up and rev it - seems to be okish at high rpm. Jump on bike and carry on. Comes back to life after 500m or so. 2km down the road same issue. Pull in at GAS station opposite marsden cove turnoff. Remove tank, try to remove plugs, not happening. Decide to ride on on 3 cylinders.... Another 10km down the road and it hits the shit. 2-3 cylinders and getting worse! Turn back to whangarei (its dark now) and call cousins with trailer. Make it back about 2km before its all over. Get picked up and take bike back to cousins suspecting fouled plugs (bike is known to run rich). Get 3 plugs out - none are fouled, infact the opposite, a little white even. Grrr. Test spark - weak but suspect battery is now a littlle low from all my attempts at starting. Put bike back together and jump on back of brothers bike for trip home. Get home at 2am tired, sore and sunburnt.

So, the more I have thought about this the more of a diagnosis I have come up with:
I now suspect it is fuel related (will check spark with bike hooked up to jumper leads and make sure spark is ok). as a bike known for running rich is presenting the signs of a bike running lean (white plugs). As it has effected 3 plugs I am presuming is is in the tank or line, as it is unlikely I would block both carbs at the same time. My plan of attack when I pick up the bike this weekend is:
-Confirm spark is ok with bike on leads
-Remove tank and inspect tap area/flow
-Inspect fuel lines.

As the bike made no improvement on pri/on/res I am presuming blockage is in the tap/tank not the lines. I guess it could be in the vacuum line but I thought that pri mode would not be effected by the vacuum line?

My questions to you are:

1. Any other advice/suggestions at this point?
2. Does a GSXR 750J (1989) have a fuel filter? (This was the first time Ive had the tank off and it was dark)
3. What is the best way to clean a tank? (I had intended to drain the tank then flush with a water hose then crc etc?)

And advice appreciated!

Oh yeah - Thanks to the couple of bikers who stopped to check we were ok. I saw one of you pass us a few hours later as we were heading back toward whangarei with the bike on the trailer!

Sam I Am
21st February 2007, 23:39
What is the best way to clean a tank? I have dont it a few times when there is rust present by putting clean stones in the tank with water and swilling for a hour or so changing water when you think its needed till clear, then swilling with methylated spirit to absorb the moisture, all a pain but it works

BNZ
22nd February 2007, 06:39
What is the best way to clean a tank? I have dont it a few times when there is rust present by putting clean stones in the tank with water and swilling for a hour or so changing water when you think its needed till clear, then swilling with methylated spirit to absorb the moisture, all a pain but it works

Sounds like a smart idea! I think if is it rust it is coming from around the top of the tank at the cap. Metho to dry it out - thanks!

Sam I Am
22nd February 2007, 23:32
Sounds like a smart idea! I think if is it rust it is coming from around the top of the tank at the cap. Metho to dry it out - thanks!
Petrol floats on water = water at bottom of tank = rust at bottom of tank ?

BNZ
23rd February 2007, 07:34
Petrol floats on water = water at bottom of tank = rust at bottom of tank ?

I have no reason to think it is water in the petrol. There is a very small amount of visible rust around the top of the tank, which may have loosened and fallen to the bottom. I am going to collect the bike tomorrow so will know more then....

BNZ
27th February 2007, 11:09
Woohoo, cleaned me tank and now its running smooooooth again! Also put in the new rear shock :Punk: No more riding a waterbed!

Sam I Am
27th February 2007, 23:06
glad you got it sorted