PDA

View Full Version : Telecom forced to refund broadband users!!!

Swoop
22nd February 2007, 11:19
Broadband users on Telecom's Go Large service are in line to receive a refund of at least $130.

Telecom has announced today they are crediting customers of the service for monthly plan charges incurred since last December.

The problem relates to the management of traffic under the plan. Go Large allows customers to unlimited downloading and internet surfing but Telecom will reduce speeds when the network is busy.

"Following customer feedback, our own review has shown that the process involved in managing Go Large internet traffic since early December is not what was originally intended or communicated to customers," said Kevin Bowler, Telecom's head of consumer marketing .

Currently with around 60,000 customers on the Go Large service, the refunds are expected to total $7.5 - $8.5m (incl GST).

Credits will vary depending on how long a customer has been on Go Large. For a customer who has been using the plan since 8 December and is still on the plan the credit is expected to be between $130 - $160.

Telecommunications Users Association (TUANZ) chief executive Ernie Newman said it was good that Telecom has "come clean" but news of mismanagement of its Go Large plan means the already low level of trust customers have in phone companies will diminish even further.

"We applaud their openness." he said. "But sadly it is another episode in a chain of events where customers have signed up for broadband services that were advertised as offering attractive speeds or data limits, but in reality have delivered a whole lot less."

Newman said Telecom needs to understand that people make business and lifestyle decisions based on expected telecommunications service quality.

"For a customer it is not just a matter of being let down or disappointed by speeds or services, it can have huge consequential effect on individuals lives.

"Something in Telecom needs to change. There have been too many disappointments, too much over-promising and under-delivering. This simply adds to the concern of many people that when it comes to the impact of broadband on customers lives and businesses, Telecom has not yet got the message."

- NZ HERALD STAFF

Bend-it
22nd February 2007, 11:21
Outstanding!! :) Internet was dog slow end of the year, but hey my work is paying for my broadband, so that's $130 in my back pocket! :)

avgas
22nd February 2007, 11:32
i'll believe when i see it - does this mean that i will have discounted internet from now on?

Guitana
22nd February 2007, 12:05
i'll believe when i see it - does this mean that i will have discounted internet from now on?

AS THE TUI AD SAYS YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

riffer
22nd February 2007, 13:29

Of course not.

It means that you have been paid off and can now shut the fuck up. And that the Commerce Commission has no case any more.

bane
22nd February 2007, 15:45

well the press release does say you will have the option of changing, or disconnecting from the plan, when Telecom contact you re refund.

I have to say that ive been perfectly happy with the go large plan. Generally get 3MB/s+, and chug through 50GB+ a month. Can only recall once where the performance was obviously compromised by traffic management.

Gremlin
22nd February 2007, 18:04
dang... I ain't even got onto the plan yet :(

Still trying to sort speed issues (router not going over 2mb line speed) before I switch to go large, then have proof if it slows down (which has occurred for some)

sort my line dag nam it telescum :angry2:

mynameis
22nd February 2007, 20:39

Well no, what it basically means is that if you've had Go Large plan since it came out Dec 8th you will be issued credits over the last 3 months 150X3 $150 in total in your next months bill.

well the press release does say you will have the option of changing, or disconnecting from the plan, when Telecom contact you re refund.

I have to say that ive been perfectly happy with the go large plan. Generally get 3MB/s+, and chug through 50GB+ a month. Can only recall once where the performance was obviously compromised by traffic management.

I guess the wheel keeps on spinning when customers speed and data were capped they complained when it was opened up they complained again.

So soonish the Go Large plan will be grandfathered and will no longer be available for new customers to sign up with. Again people will complain. (2 weeks time)

If you are on it stick to it because once you change plans you won't be able to go back to it again. 50 gig a month you are surely using it so stick with the good deal.

Fub@r
22nd February 2007, 21:53
Go Large plan since it came out Dec 8th

Go Large came out in October, December 8 was when Telecom started the shaping and cocked it up. Commerce Commision is still looking at forcing Telecom to refund people back to when it was launched as the advertising is for unlimited internet, but it isn;t truely unlimited due to the shaping and restrictions they have placed on the plan in the small print of the contract.

boomer
22nd February 2007, 21:55
I pissed in the wind earlier when i recieved my email....

Feutile exercise this was.. 'Email to the GM of marketing"

After numerous calls to your Custoemr Services and numerous responses saying there's nothing wrong with my connection speed, i.e it hasn't slowed down like i suggest it has, i now get this email.

This is outrageous. I will be considering my options and will explore taking my business elsewhere.