PDA

View Full Version : Power Commander

onearmedbandit
22nd February 2007, 12:26
I'm looking at a Power Commander for my bike, however it's a serial cable version not an USB model. Does anyone know the difference between the models (other than the obvious!), ie is there something about the previous model that means I should steer clear of it?

imdying
22nd February 2007, 12:39
Info on versions here: http://www.powercommander.com/featversions.shtml

Features of the USB version:
* Hassle free communication with new USB support
The new Power Commander USB will instantly and automatically connect to the Power Commander Control Center software once it is installed. Simply "power up" the unit and connect the supplied USB cable to the computer and PCIII USB.
* Automatic map retrieval upon connection
As soon as you connect the PCIII USB to the computer and launch the software, the map installed in the PCIII USB will be displayed.
* Onboard notes storage
The PCIII USB stores the notes from the map in the onboard memory. This makes it easy to see exactly which map is loaded. The notes, just as the map itself, are automatically retrieved upon connecting to the unit.
* Individual cylinder adjustment
All PCIII USB units have a "cylinder trim" adjustment feature that allows you to "offset" fuel to one or more cylinders. Additionally, for advanced users, the PCIII USB allows individual cylinder mapping. Now each cylinder can be mapped individually throughout the entire rpm/throttle position range.
* Enhanced "file compare" utility
The PCIII USB software now allows you to compare two map files without the Power Commander connected. There is a numerical display as well as a brand new graphical display.
* Easier to use "button adjustment" mode
The button adjustment has been made easier by introducing a "startup delay". This lets the user have enough time to start the bike and then switch the PCIII USB into "button adjust" mode. The ranges of the buttons are now displayed in the software. Simply connect the unit to the computer and press one of the buttons. Their ranges are shown on the screen.
* "Expansion port" for future upgrades and accessories
The "expansion port" allows easy connection of upcoming accessories such as our new ignition module.
* 9V "Power Up" adapter
Every PCIII USB comes with a "power up" adapter which allows users to program and interface with the Power Commander on their desktop without being connected to the bike.
* Accelerator Pump
You can adjust: A) The amount of fuel to add, B) The number of engine revolutions during which fuel is added, C) The sensitivity of throttle movement under which the accelerator pump is activated

Doesn't have a features list for the serial any more though :(

But I guess you've found all that yourself anyway :yes:

Cajun
22nd February 2007, 12:47
just means interface was serial not usb.

so if wanna play with it on laptop make sure laptop as a serial port

is the power commander still a pcIII or is it a pc II

Where does one get one those USB cables and the software for it?

I'll have a badgers at mine first actually to see if it's USB or serial connector.

Cajun
22nd February 2007, 13:26
software you can download from dynojet site http://www.powercommander.com/suppsoft.shtml

suzuki maps = http://www.powercommander.com/suppsuzmaps.shtml
usb cable, no idea try gp honda, if worse comes to worse, ya can borrow mine,

Sensei
22nd February 2007, 16:27
Gotta say the bikes I have ridden with a PC in them didn't impress me that much & they where done by so called Expert . Felt weak & one bike had the wost flat spot when opened from closed throttle , to which a NZ Race champion that road the bike even said it was very poor Mapping . So make sure you ride the bike at the end of Dyno run as what looks good on the Dyno may feel like shit on the road through it been so weak low down that it changes the whole bikes feel , have been through this when Dynoing my GSXR1100 for the drags looked good on paper but Sucked on the Strip .

imdying
22nd February 2007, 17:13
Gotta say the bikes I have ridden with a PC in them didn't impress me that much & they where done by so called Expert . Felt weak & one bike had the wost flat spot when opened from closed throttle , to which a NZ Race champion that road the bike even said it was very poor Mapping . So make sure you ride the bike at the end of Dyno run as what looks good on the Dyno may feel like shit on the road through it been so weak low down that it changes the whole bikes feel , have been through this when Dynoing my GSXR1100 for the drags looked good on paper but Sucked on the Strip .Could not agree more. Doesn't matter how good the FI system (or add on in this case is), if it's not set up right, it'll potentially be worse than stock. At a guess, I would expect nearly the price of the PC again getting it setup just so.

Gremlin
22nd February 2007, 18:15
Where does one get one those USB cables and the software for it?
whats the plug look like on the unit's end? I'm guessing it will be a standard cable?

for suzukis, your best bet, if one is available for your model, is to get the pc3r. While not usb, iirc, it has the ignition timing etc, built in.

imdying
22nd February 2007, 18:47
for suzukis, your best bet, if one is available for your model, is to get the pc3r. While not usb, iirc, it has the ignition timing etc, built in.Which is weird, given the PC themselves don't even recommend them much it would seem...

Q: I cannot decide if I should purchase a PCIII or a PCIIIr for my sportbike. Do ignition timing adjustments make a big difference in power output?

A: In most cases, making ignition timing adjustments to a bike with a stock engine and running “pump” fuel gains little, if any, power. If the bike has higher compression pistons, racing cams, is running “race fuel, etc, timing changes can make a difference. In these cases a custom timing map is going to be required and must be developed on a Dynamometer. We suggest using a PCIII for most road bike applications.

Gremlin
23rd February 2007, 00:31
Which is weird, given the PC themselves don't even recommend them much it would seem...
interesting... people with zx10's were sort of wanting the ignition timing... but you either buy the pc3 USB alone, or get a TRE as well, which then sort of dictates you have to buy a separate ignition module as well...

As always... I guess it depends how far you go. Pipe, filter and pc3, nice and easy, some gains to be made with a map. Start playing with more stuff, and suddenly it becomes a complex web to make sure you're not making the bike worse, with custom mapping an absolute requirement.

Just figured that pc's and tre's was available for the gixxer's first, and other bikes came later... didn't read into gixxer requirements much tho...