PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please: KLE500 vs KLR650 vs Transalp vs XT660

mazz1972
22nd February 2007, 15:20
Hi folks

I’d be interested to hear your opinions please….

Hubby is looking at getting a dual-purpose bike, mostly for road riding but with a bit of gravel etc thrown in.

He’s interested in Kawa KLE500, but I think he should consider some alternatives such as KLR650, Transalp or XT660.

He’s not able to test ride any from the bike shops at the moment as he doesn’t get his full licence for another couple of months….but it would be useful to have your opinions on all round performance.

Really looking for something comfortable with a bit of go, but not a big huge bike. He's tall so height is not a problem.

He's not interested in a DR650 as he already has a road legal DRZ400.

I know he’d love to look at a Beamer F650 GS or Dakar but they seem to be a bit more than the budget allows. A Transalp may be as well.

Your comments/suggestions/gripes/raves would be appreciated!

Ruralman
22nd February 2007, 16:38
If he's considering a Transalp then theres a bloody good second hand one just been traded on a Triumph Tiger at Thundersports in Nelson (Oldriders one).

Of the bikes you list the Transalp has the most road comfort and copes with gravel roads with ease. The KLR is more trail biased but still very good on the road but not as refined/smooth/comfortable as the T/A for bigger trips.

I don't have any experience with the KLE500 - they look OK and I have a mate with an earlier 400 version which goes well but he's pretty small and light. If your husband is bigger then I think you'll find the 500 is well behind the T/A for grunt, especially if you plan some two up rides.

I have done the Maungatapu track on the T/A and was really impressed with its ability to quietly pick the best line through tricky steep rocky tracks and pull away from very low revs without losing traction (unless I really wanted to give it a blast). I wouldn't want to do this on muddy tracks though - too bloody heavy but it doesn't sound like you want it for that anyway.

The XT 660 is probably the quickest but looking at them I think I'd much rather do a long trip on the T/A, especially with a lot of luggage.

Garry.W
22nd February 2007, 16:56
Hi folks

I’d be interested to hear your opinions please….

Hubby is looking at getting a dual-purpose bike, mostly for road riding but with a bit of gravel etc thrown in.

He’s interested in Kawa KLE500, but I think he should consider some alternatives such as KLR650, Transalp or XT660.

He’s not able to test ride any from the bike shops at the moment as he doesn’t get his full licence for another couple of months….but it would be useful to have your opinions on all round performance.

Really looking for something comfortable with a bit of go, but not a big huge bike. He's tall so height is not a problem.

He's not interested in a DR650 as he already has a road legal DRZ400.

I know he’d love to look at a Beamer F650 GS or Dakar but they seem to be a bit more than the budget allows. A Transalp may be as well.

Your comments/suggestions/gripes/raves would be appreciated!

All are good suggestions but buy my 2003 Dakar - ad is in latest KR mag and posted on here somewhere in the For Sale thread. It's in good nick, is a bargain at $9k and has a couple of good extras you won't get with other bikes (ABS and heated grips, crash bars etc.) I can chuck these in if that helps. If hubby is interested get in touch (021 220 6104 or evenings on 526 3417), you guys can ride and see what you think. House rules though - you bend you buy anyway :yes:

Cheers
Garry

far queue
22nd February 2007, 18:40
He’s interested in Kawa KLE500, but I think he should consider some alternatives such as KLR650, Transalp or XT660.I haven't ridden any of these but from what I've seen, heard and read of them, and from what you say he wants to do with it my pick would be the Transalp, and as Ruralman says Oldriders is available and would be a bloody good one.

timg
22nd February 2007, 20:54
Hi, I can't really speak from experience as I'm a recent convert to this class of bike, however I considered and test rode the BMW 'Funduro', VStrom 650, KLE500 & Transalp and drooled over many more before buying the Transalp. I wanted something I could use to commute, take fishing and two up touring. The Transalp seemed the best fit for me and my needs. Oldrider described it to me as a jack of all trades but possibly master of none, and that seems to be a fair assessment. It is very competent in all areas but there are better commuters, better off road bikes & better tourers, but few that can do all that the Transalp can. I've done a couple of back country shingle road/farm track day trips on it which it handled well with a novice rider. I've just done a day at Levels with the Honda Riders Club which it went really well at (Passed a Ducatti!:Punk: ) and I learned heaps from. Really all the bikes suggested are good bikes. It's really a matter of finding or deciding what best suits you and your budget. I'd suggest the Transalp could suit your stated uses well :yes: but I'm probably biased. Cheers, Tim

RedKLR650
22nd February 2007, 21:12
Hi folks
I’d be interested to hear your opinions please…. Hubby is looking at getting a dual-purpose bike, mostly for road riding but with a bit of gravel etc thrown in.
He’s interested in Kawa KLE500, but I think he should consider some alternatives such as KLR650, Transalp or XT660.Really looking for something comfortable with a bit of go, but not a big huge bike. He's tall so height is not a problem.

Hi there,

Having completed a ferw rides recently on a KLR along with some Africa Twin's and TranzAlps, I agree with some of the other comments as to them having more fairing etc for a long trip, but I love my KLR, and once rode from Auckland to Timaru in 16 hours, and could still feel my bum, so it wasn't so bad. If you're not really an adventure person, but just want the occassional shingle road trip, the KLE500 is more roadlike and I think would be more suited for the purpose you need it for. My neighbour is selling his at present as he's scared of shingle, so is going back to a full roadbike.

See the link below.

Attached is a pic. I have ridden his bike and it goes well, but I still prefer the KLR but the KLE is a good wee bike......
As Ruralman said, if you're still after an AT, Oldriders former machine is a great bike too :-)

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=43070

mazz1972
23rd February 2007, 08:45
Thanks for all your comments!

Once hubby has the full licence in a few months and can do some test rides, I will be very interested to see what he thinks of the different bikes. At the moment he is basing his likes and dislikes purely on looks since he hasn't been able to ride any of them yet. It will be mostly road travel for this bike, but with the option of exploring those deserted gravel back roads etc. He's been riding offroad for many years, just been dead slow in getting his road licence.

All are good suggestions but buy my 2003 Dakar - ad is in latest KR mag and posted on here somewhere in the For Sale thread. It's in good nick, is a bargain at $9k and has a couple of good extras you won't get with other bikes (ABS and heated grips, crash bars etc.) I can chuck these in if that helps.

He's seen the ad for your bike Garry - it was duly brought to my attention as he was reading KR a few nights ago.

Unfortunately we are not in a position to buy just yet. He has to sell a bike first, which is currently in bits, and I've had to put my foot down and make him wait until he has his full licence and can be properly insured, as I don't think it's worth the risk.

And he wants to build on to our garage/sleepout as we've gone from double + workshop to barely a single and it's just not cutting the mustard - our road bikes are in the sleepout.

Better go water that money tree...

unhingedlizard
23rd February 2007, 09:02
Just my two cents, has he thought of trying a Kawasaki Versys?

pete376403
23rd February 2007, 10:01
New '08 KLR650 is supposed to be available mid-March. A little more street oriented than previously, better suspension, brakes, seat and "revised" (whatever) cylinder head, better fairing and lights. Much nicer looking, but some might say putting something about putting lipstick on the pig. I've got one on order. Not sure about price but supposed to be "close" to the current '07 price of $9290
LOTS of info about them on www.advrider.com.

mazz1972
23rd February 2007, 10:15
Just my two cents, has he thought of trying a Kawasaki Versys?

He wont be "allowed" to think about that one....it's a tad beyond the budget.

Bloody nice looking bike though! :yes:

mazz1972
23rd February 2007, 11:06
New '08 KLR650 is supposed to be available mid-March. A little more street oriented than previously, better suspension, brakes, seat and "revised" (whatever) cylinder head, better fairing and lights. Much nicer looking, but some might say putting something about putting lipstick on the pig. I've got one on order. Not sure about price but supposed to be "close" to the current '07 price of $9290
LOTS of info about them on www.advrider.com.

Wow that is really really nice! Cheers for that, you wouldn't know there was a new model coming out just looking at the website.

Didn't have much joy finding the specs other than "to be advised". Any ideas where to look? I'm looking for seat height, to see I would be able to ride it too :shifty: as I'm short which is why I've got the Sherpa (seat height 830mm).

When is yours due and what colour?

SDU
23rd February 2007, 12:03
Didn't have much joy finding the specs other than "to be advised". Any ideas where to look? I'm looking for seat height, to see I would be able to ride it too :shifty: as I'm short which is why I've got the Sherpa (seat height 830mm).

Good on you, I see you have your priorities right.:yes:
It is good to test ride his bikes out too but it is dangerous as you may end up having to buy two :innocent:

pete376403
23rd February 2007, 12:27
There is info about, just that Kawi make it difficut to find. Look here
http://www.kawasaki.ca/flx/model.php?s=3&l=en&m=1062 which is Kaw. canada.
I'm getting the green one (thats the only real Kawa colour, right?) just like my last new kawi, an F9 Bighorn back in 1972.
The suspension travel has been reduced (a little but), but stiffened, so that while the earlier models have a higher seat height, a lot of that travel gets used up just by sitting on it.

Mines ordered from Sawyers and delivery date is mid to late March

mazz1972
23rd February 2007, 12:34
Good on you, I see you have your priorities right.:yes:
It is good to test ride his bikes out too but it is dangerous as you may end up having to buy two :innocent:

*off to buy a lotto ticket just in case* :yes:

mazz1972
23rd February 2007, 12:38
There is info about, just that Kawi make it difficut to find. Look here
http://www.kawasaki.ca/flx/model.php?s=3&l=en&m=1062 which is Kaw. canada.
I'm getting the green one (thats the only real Kawa colour, right?) just like my last new kawi, an F9 Bighorn back in 1972.
The suspension travel has been reduced (a little but), but stiffened, so that while the earlier models have a higher seat height, a lot of that travel gets used up just by sitting on it.

Mines ordered from Sawyers and delivery date is mid to late March

Thanks Pete! :niceone: I think hubby will like the look of it and will show him tonight.

I got my Sherp from Sawyers - we will definately be paying a visit there once that full licence comes through!

The Big J
1st March 2007, 03:49
Hi there

I'm doing a bit of riding on the KLR - 25000 odd kms in the next few months.

We have found them capable and perfect for a budget option but much needs to be improved. The new model may be addressing these.

In terms of road speed, the KLR will do up to about 90 mph but feels quite strained above 75 (115?). On trails it really comes into it's own and letting down the air in the tires it plows through all sorts of nasty surprises and a couple of ditches with aplomb. But your husband has a DRZ which would do these much better.

In terms of criticism on my bike (2005) I would rank, poor road feel on front forks (which is however better off road), poor front brakes and brake feel, seat could be more plush - I find I need to get off every couple of hours to get circulation going, and undeniably the doohickey.

I haven't researched the 2008 so these may be addressed. I spoke to Mike Cowlishaw who manufactures the doohickey part fix and as far as he's aware the part has not been upgraded. We did the fix on my bike and the counterbalancer spring had broken in less than 5000kms. Mike estimates of 200 doohickeys he's changed about 40 broken parts and 20 broken springs making a high failure rate.

I would in future factor the price of a doohickey into any KLR purchase. Everything else has been pretty much good to go despite Round the World riders' criticisms of everything being flimsy. Just check bolts religiously.

If I had doubled my bike budget, I would be on the Vstrom 650 hands down. Then T/A, don't really know anything about Yamaha.

Responses to this are welcome, just bear in mind I've whacked this out in 5 minutes and it's just my opinion. The new KLR looks vastly improved, I just don't know much about it.

Josh

mazz1972
1st March 2007, 10:45
Thanks Big J...a few things to investigate when we get to clap eyes on the new model.

Sheesh that's a fair bit of riding coming up for you....are you doing a tour? On road/off road?

I have to admit it took me a while to work out what a doohickey is!!

Anyone who doesn't have to get off their bike every couple of hours must have a cast iron butt to start with!!

No doubt you have found this forum, but just in case.. http://klrworld.com/forums/

The Big J
1st March 2007, 14:33
Hey Mazz
Good luck on bike purchase. Despite my misgivings the KLR is a great bike

The reason I would lean away from it is because it will never be as off road capable as your DRZ400 - I would go something more on-road focused, maybe the new model fits the bill.

If you purchase www.KLR650.net offers expert assistance but it´s a private forum, no problem, just request a username.

I am riding San Francisco to Rio de Janiero - currently in Mexico.
Check out my thread in Ride Report sub-forum or www.locokiwi.com (http://www.locokiwi.com)

Josh

mazz1972
5th March 2007, 09:47
Hey Mazz
Good luck on bike purchase. Despite my misgivings the KLR is a great bike

The reason I would lean away from it is because it will never be as off road capable as your DRZ400 - I would go something more on-road focused, maybe the new model fits the bill.

If you purchase www.KLR650.net offers expert assistance but it´s a private forum, no problem, just request a username.

I am riding San Francisco to Rio de Janiero - currently in Mexico.
Check out my thread in Ride Report sub-forum or www.locokiwi.com (http://www.locokiwi.com)

Josh

Thanks Josh. Hubby is keeping the DRZ - he's putting it back on the trail, hence looking for something more comfy for the road, but still capable of tamer off road stuff.

The comments you made and links to other forums with more info make interesting reading and we will certainly be checking these out.

Wow what an awesome trip you are having! I have bookmarked your website for future reading, and will include it in our next club newsletter. Stay upright!

pete376403
5th March 2007, 10:26
My new '08 KLR is due sometime this month. (getting twitchy, haven't ridden for ages)
One of the first things I plan on doing is pulling the stator cover to have a look at the balance chain tensioner ("doohickey") and see if it changed from the previous design.
I did ask on advrider.com about why Kawasaki haven't addressed the problem, as if it is as bad as made out, the warranty repair costs would be affecting their profits. Given that when it does fail, the resultant damage could be require a very expensive fix - eg the broken spring bit goes up the cam chain (the two chains are only 3mm apart), cam timing jumps, valves hit piston = messy. Suppose this happened while riding in traffic and the resultant engine lockup bought the rider off in front of another vehicle, could lead to injury or death. Yet even in litigation-land (USA) where product recalls are made for the most obscure things that might only remotely affect safety, Kawi haven't ever flagged the chain tensioner for replacement.
However not denying that they DO fail, as the makers of the aftermarket parts can supply any number of pictures of broken bits.

SlipperyOZ
5th March 2007, 14:28
If he's considering a Transalp then theres a bloody good second hand one just been traded on a Triumph Tiger at Thundersports in Nelson (Oldriders one).

Of the bikes you list the Transalp has the most road comfort and copes with gravel roads with ease. The KLR is more trail biased but still very good on the road but not as refined/smooth/comfortable as the T/A for bigger trips.

I don't have any experience with the KLE500 - they look OK and I have a mate with an earlier 400 version which goes well but he's pretty small and light. If your husband is bigger then I think you'll find the 500 is well behind the T/A for grunt, especially if you plan some two up rides.

I have done the Maungatapu track on the T/A and was really impressed with its ability to quietly pick the best line through tricky steep rocky tracks and pull away from very low revs without losing traction (unless I really wanted to give it a blast). I wouldn't want to do this on muddy tracks though - too bloody heavy but it doesn't sound like you want it for that anyway.

The XT 660 is probably the quickest but looking at them I think I'd much rather do a long trip on the T/A, especially with a lot of luggage.What about your TA Ruralman?? Haven't yet found the Tiger to replace her???

I have a DRZ400E and am considering a spare DualSport for the shed (Mostly for mates who are visiting from KiwiLand :scooter: ) I probably will get a DR650 though... They get a better write up in a recent comparo than the KLR and I already have a big "Beach Whale" GSA1200, so the DR650 is probably the better bet if you want a 50/50 bike. :yes:

Ruralman
5th March 2007, 20:23
[QUOTE=SlipperyOZ;962542]What about your TA Ruralman?? Haven't yet found the Tiger to replace her???

mutter mutter mutter - never let an Aussie know your weak spot!!!!

mazz1972
6th March 2007, 09:26
What about your TA Ruralman?? Haven't yet found the Tiger to replace her???

I have a DRZ400E and am considering a spare DualSport for the shed (Mostly for mates who are visiting from KiwiLand :scooter: ) I probably will get a DR650 though... They get a better write up in a recent comparo than the KLR and I already have a big "Beach Whale" GSA1200, so the DR650 is probably the better bet if you want a 50/50 bike. :yes:

Hubby tried a friends DR650 (although not a particularly recent model) and still preferred his 400, but I'm sure he will take a good look at a newer 650 model. I can see quite a few weekends of bike shopping coming up...

I'm not hearing much about the XT660 - anyone got any comments?

mazz1972
6th March 2007, 09:34
My new '08 KLR is due sometime this month. (getting twitchy, haven't ridden for ages)
One of the first things I plan on doing is pulling the stator cover to have a look at the balance chain tensioner ("doohickey") and see if it changed from the previous design.
I did ask on advrider.com about why Kawasaki haven't addressed the problem, as if it is as bad as made out, the warranty repair costs would be affecting their profits. Given that when it does fail, the resultant damage could be require a very expensive fix - eg the broken spring bit goes up the cam chain (the two chains are only 3mm apart), cam timing jumps, valves hit piston = messy. Suppose this happened while riding in traffic and the resultant engine lockup bought the rider off in front of another vehicle, could lead to injury or death. Yet even in litigation-land (USA) where product recalls are made for the most obscure things that might only remotely affect safety, Kawi haven't ever flagged the chain tensioner for replacement.
However not denying that they DO fail, as the makers of the aftermarket parts can supply any number of pictures of broken bits.

Yup sounds very messy if it fails. Here's hoping the problem has been rectified....bit daft if it hasn't. Do you have a delivery date yet for the new steed? Look forward to hearing what you think of it!

pete376403
6th March 2007, 11:36
Delivery date has been suggested by Kawasaki NZ as "mid to late March",
I'm trying not to nag too much round at Sawyers/Motorad, don't want Glen running and hiding every time he sees me come in the shop.

I can safely predict that, after the glorious summer weather we've been having in Wellington, it will turn to shit sometime between next week and the end of the month.

mazz1972
8th March 2007, 14:33
Delivery date has been suggested by Kawasaki NZ as "mid to late March",
I'm trying not to nag too much round at Sawyers/Motorad, don't want Glen running and hiding every time he sees me come in the shop.

I can safely predict that, after the glorious summer weather we've been having in Wellington, it will turn to shit sometime between next week and the end of the month.

That's "only" a week or two away...if the bikes have been shipped (from where?) they must be just about in the country now if not already.

I can tell you now it will definately be raining and blowing a gale on 25th March as our club is having a trail ride at Terawhiti Station...