PDA

View Full Version : My first set up - advice wanted

Santa
23rd February 2007, 10:53
I'm a student and a first time rider with roughly $600-$800 to spend on gear and was wondering if itd best to spend that on a full set up or rather look at slightly better quality stuff and get jacket/helmet/gloves for now and then look at pants/boots in a coupla months time.

Is there a 'safe' amount to spend on a helmet or is it just a matter of finding one that fits well? I've been looking around and I can't seem to find a good fit, medium sizes put a bit of pressure on my cheeks and there's a tiny bit of movement with large sizes <_<

Jacket, Im leaning towards cordura for practicality and weatherproof reasons. Will invest in leathers at a later stage.

Gloves, anything with a hardened knuckle protector seems to be ok?

Im looking for any advice/recommendations people have. I've checked out the bike shops on Manchester street and Leather Direct, is there anywhere I'm missing in chch? I don't suppose there's anywhere that stocks Quasimoto stuff?

I'd be very keen to hear from Quasi too - do you have any end of line stuff at the moment? I sent you an email but I haven't heard back.

steved
23rd February 2007, 11:03
My first gear consisted of;

Helmet HJC CL-14 ~$150
Jacket Spool Cordura ~$150
Pants Mobig Cordura ~$150
Boots Gaerne ~$200
Gloves Quasi ~$50

All up, fully protected for around $700. Personally, I think boots and pants are pretty important.

The stuff is not built to last an eternity but it certainly was fine for getting started. I have subsequently bought some summer gloves, a leather jacket and a new helmet.

Naki Rat
23rd February 2007, 11:09
I'm a student and a first time rider with roughly $600-$800 to spend on gear and was wondering if itd best to spend that on a full set up or rather look at slightly better quality stuff and get jacket/helmet/gloves for now and then look at pants/boots in a coupla months time.

Is there a 'safe' amount to spend on a helmet or is it just a matter of finding one that fits well? I've been looking around and I can't seem to find a good fit, medium sizes put a bit of pressure on my cheeks and there's a tiny bit of movement with large sizes <_<

Jacket, Im leaning towards cordura for practicality and weatherproof reasons. Will invest in leathers at a later stage.

Im looking for any advice/recommendations people have. I've checked out the bike shops on Manchester street and Leather Direct, is there anywhere I'm missing in chch? I don't suppose there's anywhere that stocks Quasimoto stuff?

I'd be very keen to hear from Quasi too - do you have any end of line stuff at the moment? I sent you an email but I haven't heard back.

I set up with good second hand leatherware from Trade Me but be prepared to take your time waiting for the right price, and perhaps reselling the bargains that don't end up fitting.

Helmet and boots I preferred to try on before buying so did the local shop thing but if you're cheeky you could use the locals as a trial fitting to ascertain brand/size before buying online. The helmet's got to fit and be comfortable so fitting is essential, including a trial ride to check out noise if that's important to you.

crashe
23rd February 2007, 11:10

All NEW helmets that are the correct size should have that 'squeezed cheek' look. As you wear the helmet in.... the inside of the helmet will mold to your head.

Helmets can start from $150 upwards.
Gloves from $40 upwards
Boots from about $50 (warehouse boots) to whatever price they are in bike shops.
Jacket from $250 upwards
Pants from $250 upwards.

Go to a few bike shops and try them on and see what suits you best.
Then check out Trade Me for decent second hand gear.

TonyB also sells leather stuff down Chch way... (cant remember his business user name)

Quasimoto - is based in Hamilton but will courier anywhere in NZ.

Rosie
23rd February 2007, 11:38
When I was getting myself set up about a year ago I got a teknic sequoia jacket (cordura) for $300 (it's the chicky one, I assume they have an equivalent men's jacket), RJays voyager(?) trousers (again, cordura) for $125 and a KBC TK8 helmet for about $250-ish. And some RJays gloves, but I'm not sure I'd recommend them.
Remember that all helmets have to pass the same safety standards, so a cheap helmet isn't necessarily going to be any less safe than an expensive helmet.
From memory the jacket was one of the cheaper ones I looked at. It's got a thermal liner, enormous vents for comfortable summer riding, CE-approved armour in the arms and shoulders, and a foam back protector.
The trousers have a removable thermal liner, and foam 'armour' in the lower legs and hips. I've since bought some hard knee armour for $40.

SDU
23rd February 2007, 11:51
TonyB Business is MotoEquip
http://www.motoequip.co.nz/
Another local KB'er you should check out is Just Motorcycles at 165 Bowhill rd, Brighton. They have some good affordable gear & bikes.
Buy your helmet new, make sure it fits well, is comfortable & is the best that you can afford.
Shop around & try for comfort & buy the best quality that you can afford. Good fitting boots that support your ankles is important.
Check out second hand pants & jackets, but some new stuff is very well priced now.

Depending on your size, I have some cordura gear I should sell as it doesn't fit well. Its small mens.

avgas
23rd February 2007, 12:01
I got a good first helmet from ffm - its actually a kiwi factory, and you can buy from the factory shop in Waihi. Cost about $100 - but it was good quality.
Jacket - Motoline job from Motomail (about $150)
Gloves cost me about $50, cant remember from where - but the trick when you are a learner is to get something durable that doesnt have fancy shiny stuff on it. Tecknic Touring Gloves with the wiper blade are ideal. No carbon crap as your only gonna scratch it as you learn how to fall.

Macktheknife
23rd February 2007, 12:22
T
Buy your helmet new, make sure it fits well, is comfortable & is the best that you can afford.
Shop around & try for comfort & buy the best quality that you can afford. Good fitting boots that support your ankles is important.
Check out second hand pants & jackets, but some new stuff is very well priced now.

Good advice this is, especially the helmet bit. Never ever buy a second hand helmet.

Chickadee
23rd February 2007, 12:25
It's a shame you're not up in Auckland, Motomail have an outlet shop which is a good place to go if you need gear and don't have a huge budget.

Definitely spend your money on a helmet, gloves, boots and decent jacket. I think in the long run and for the event of a crash leathers the best, but might be out of your current price range unless you can get some 2nd hand.

Always have a new lid that fits you well. Trousers are also essential (having f*cked knees' before you're 90 isn't fun) - see if you can squeeze the budget to buy a basic pair, even if you get help from family (I'm sure they'd rather you were protected than pavement putty).

If you're looking for leather stuff or later on want to upgrade - thoughtly recommend Quasimoto (Hamilton based - he's on the web and couriers throughout NZ). I believe Quasi can custom make if you have trouble with standard jackets (everyones built differently!).

Hope you get good gear for reasonable dosh! Happy shopping

Santa
23rd February 2007, 12:27
Cheers everyone for such speedy advice, its all very helpful. It looks like a full set up is possible within my budget so I'll keep looking around.

@crashe - I'll go have another look at helmets with the squashed cheek thing in mind.

@SDU - Im 6ft 80kgs so I'm not sure if small would work (though I do have quite a narrow waist ~85cm) Cheers though.

@everone else - cheers advice noted!

I sit my basic handling skills next thursday and have been looking at bikes for the last month. Im getting pretty close to buying now and its all very exciting. I still have a bit of time so I guess its just a matter of trying as much stuff as possible.

crashe
23rd February 2007, 12:37
Cheers everyone for such speedy advice, its all very helpful. It looks like a full set up is possible within my budget so I'll keep looking around.

@crashe - I'll go have another look at helmets with the squashed cheek thing in mind.

Yeah the helmet must be a tight fit......
so that if you shake your head side to side or up and down it will NOT move.

If you can move your head inside the helmet....... then it is too loose.

After wearing a tight fitted helmet..... as it molds to your head the foam inside shrinks a bit.... after a few months..... but it still will be a tight fit.

Only buy a BRAND new helmet ......

Ask the salespeople in the bike shops, on the how to put on and remove your helmet.... and get them to make sure that it fits you correctly.

Different brands dont neccessarily fit every head out there as we all have a different shape head to another person.

SDU
23rd February 2007, 14:09
@SDU - Im 6ft 80kgs so I'm not sure if small would work (though I do have quite a narrow waist ~85cm) Cheers though.

The gear would be a bit drafty on you, I'm a hobbit.:yes:

I sit my basic handling skills next thursday and have been looking at bikes for the last month. Im getting pretty close to buying now and its all very exciting. I still have a bit of time so I guess its just a matter of trying as much stuff as possible.
Sweet! Good luck with your test, it'll be a breeze.

mitchilin
24th February 2007, 21:13
When I was a student I could not afford a bike let alone gear.Steelcaps and overalls was what we used to get away with.As a working man today I would not spend that kind of money.

Gremlin
24th February 2007, 23:45
I've been looking around and I can't seem to find a good fit, medium sizes put a bit of pressure on my cheeks and there's a tiny bit of movement with large sizes <_<
There must be no movement... ain't going to protect your brain like that. Pads will also squash a bit, so you want a pretty tight fit, then it loosens up. That said, put the helmet on, leave it on for 10 minutes. Move it around on your head. It should sit snugly, not move around much, but importantly, have no hard bits against your head, or pressure points.

You will be able to tell this, if you have a big red mark on your forehead, or something like that. I'm 6'3, 100kg, and wear a medium... I thought it fit fine when bought (common newbie mistake), now its a bit loose. If I can squeeze my head into a xs comfortably, I will, otherwise it will have to be small...

Get the salesperson to give your helmet a tug and a shake when its on, to see if it moves around much.

Santa
25th February 2007, 11:20
When I was a student I could not afford a bike let alone gear.Steelcaps and overalls was what we used to get away with.As a working man today I would not spend that kind of money.

10 weeks of a summer engineering placement has left my account shiny for the moment, but yeah when the moneys gone its gone. Just started brewing today, that'll help but safety gear is not where I wanna compromise.

Have been checking out gear after all the sage like advice. Medium everything seems to be a much better fit. Helmet is snug, jacket and pants have armour in all the right places and it doesnt move.

Now all I need is a bike... Does anyone have a contact number for Monsterbishi - Im meant to be checking out his listed bike but he hasn't replied for about a week.

bert_is_evil
26th February 2007, 15:59
Good advice this is, especially the helmet bit. Never ever buy a second hand helmet.

I'd never buy a second hand helmet but I have sold one on trademe - does that make me a bad person?

vifferman
26th February 2007, 16:05
I'd never buy a second hand helmet but I have sold one on trademe - does that make me a bad person?
No.
Unless it was a helmet that had some 'history' you didn't disclose.
And while the "never buy a secondhand helmet" advice is generally right, there are times when it's OK. My current helmet was bought secondhand from another KBer, and it was an excellent buy.

slopster
26th February 2007, 16:30
Some would dissagree but I reckon a cheap helmets just as good a fancy one. Why? - because they all have to meet the same safety standards but more importantly look at the advertising. It all revolves around comfort, weight and noise reduction. Only once have I seen an ad for a helmet which focused on its ability to protect (It showed the rider who had the fastest ever motogp crash and walked away I think).

Wolf
3rd March 2007, 00:19
Some would dissagree but I reckon a cheap helmets just as good a fancy one. Why? - because they all have to meet the same safety standards but more importantly look at the advertising. It all revolves around comfort, weight and noise reduction. Only once have I seen an ad for a helmet which focused on its ability to protect (It showed the rider who had the fastest ever motogp crash and walked away I think).
I find my $200 Grex RD1 quite suitable to my needs - a bit quieter than my old $150 HJC.
I picked up Phurrball's rather expensive helmet and found where all the money went: into the weight - it just wasn't there! I suspect you'd be able to wear it for hours on end with minimal discomfort. My Grex is nowhere near as light but I don't mind it - wore it for a significant portion of a three day weekend during the Cold Kiwi and it wasn't unbearbly heavy.

Yep, if you want super light weight, comfort etc, go the extra dollars. Otherwise - they're all at least to DOT spec which is quite suitable according to all the studies I've read. Even the really cheap ones that are so noisy you have to rip the exhaust pipes off at the headers to hear the engine over the wind noise...

Santa
3rd March 2007, 09:17
I find my $200 Grex RD1 quite suitable to my needs - a bit quieter than my old $150 HJC.
I picked up Phurrball's rather expensive helmet and found where all the money went: into the weight - it just wasn't there! I suspect you'd be able to wear it for hours on end with minimal discomfort. My Grex is nowhere near as light but I don't mind it - wore it for a significant portion of a three day weekend during the Cold Kiwi and it wasn't unbearbly heavy.

Yep, if you want super light weight, comfort etc, go the extra dollars. Otherwise - they're all at least to DOT spec which is quite suitable according to all the studies I've read. Even the really cheap ones that are so noisy you have to rip the exhaust pipes off at the headers to hear the engine over the wind noise...

I've found a helmet by the euro brand 'can'. Fits well, feels comfy, looks pretty good and is marked at only $175. Jacket and pants are ordered from quasi and I might try and get a deal on boots/gloves with the helmet. Flew through my basic handling, aced the scratch n win, I'm a licenced rider now. I've been for a couple rides on my flatmate's bike, but I'm still lookin for the right two wheels to come my way.

Wolf
3rd March 2007, 10:35
Congrats on the licence and the gear, all the best finding the right bike. You won't go wrong with Quasi's gear - don't use it myself but I've seen it.

Volcanix
6th March 2007, 19:29
im also looking at getting into rideing,

I checked out some of the sites mentions above and one sold leathers that were 1.6mm think and the other was 2mm thick.

what should i look out for with the thickness of the leather? or is 1.6 good enough?

Minotaur Two Piece Leather Suit: 625 bucks. from motoequip. < for a new biker is that good protection? i would also get a back protector to throw under it.

Lteejay
7th March 2007, 13:03
All NEW helmets that are the correct size should have that 'squeezed cheek' look. As you wear the helmet in.... the inside of the helmet will mold to your head.

Yep - I still look like i'm blowing kisses to passers by.

Happy riding