PDA

View Full Version : Snoring bikers - How to stop them ruining events.

Ruralman
23rd February 2007, 15:21
Not sure whether this is the best place to post this but it needs to go somewhere.
How many times have you been on a rally or sharing a room with other bikers at a backpackers, or even sharing a bed with one, and having what was probably going to be a limited nights sleep anyway ruined by someone snoring their bloody heads off.
Without naming names it was a bit of an issue on our recent Sth Island Passes trip but generally we sorted it without any major conflict, but it could have been much worse a problem. One of our members who knew he was usually a bad snorer unselfishly took himself away to sleep somewhere where he couldn't disturb the rest of us ( In actual fact he made less noise than some of us left behind!!)

About 6 months ago I bought one of these aveo TSD anti snoring devices as much for my own health as anything (because I don't usually have anyone in the same room to disturb). They really do work. It takes about a 5-7 days to get used to it and be able to go to sleep with it on. Occasionally I'll wake up and have the thing in my hand, or forget to put it back in after going to the loo or something, but if its in your gob holding your tongue it is impossible to snore (or talk or kiss or anything else with your mouth - but thats another story!)
Here's the link to the site which explains how it works (basically by grabbing your tongue, holding it forward, and preventing the blocking of the airway which causes snoring)

http://www.aveosleep.com/

On our passes trip we had a pharmacist, Jeff, with us and he runs an online pharmacy and was keen to do a promotion to the biker community
Heres his link
http://www.oamaru-pharmacy.com/snoring-special.html

I can assure you that this isn't a bloody jack up - I don't get any commission or anything. This product really works and can make a huge difference to how a group of bikers can travel and stay together without getting on each others nerves. If you are a snorer then there are some serious long term health implications of not getting it sorted which Jeff covers on his site. Do make sure though that if you get one that you do allow yourself some time to get used to it - 5-7 days - and don't just expect it to arrive the day before you leave and solve all your problems the first night.

Oh one last thing - the record message function on mobile phones is useful for collecting evidence for those in denial about their snoring!!! (as would the vidio function with sound on most modern digital cameras)

98tls
23rd February 2007, 16:14
Any chance we can organise a couple for TWR and Mr Sensible before next weekend..................i can still hear the snoring from the otematata shearers quarters.........

MyGSXF
23rd February 2007, 16:26
Any chance we can organise a couple for TWR and Mr Sensible before next weekend..................i can still hear the snoring from the otematata shearers quarters.........

AAAhhhhhhhh...... but are we REEEEALLY sure they were snoring noises.... hmmmmm.... :shifty:

ps: Pity you didn't have any spares in Picton the other week Bruce.. :shutup:

Bonez
23rd February 2007, 16:29
Ah, get as life and buy some ear plugs if you can't handle a bit of ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

There's more to stopping snoring than a device that just holds the tounge back. Jaws, nasal passages, weight and a few other issues can contribute to a person snoring.

xknuts
23rd February 2007, 16:41
Why DO men snore when they sleep on their backs?
Because their balls drop over their arseholes and block the airway!

botb
23rd February 2007, 16:42
Gee whats happening ruralman sheep and beef not need tending today lmao ...... te he he he he he yes i would tend to pack some earplugs if snoring or chimpanzee noises are eminating from others tents ....lmao but good salespitch hope your pharmacy mate breaks into the biker market and may his coffers overflow by the hand of the mighty 2 wheeled snoring/animal noise making leather clad hooligans we call our fellow rallygoer's!!!

magicfairy
23rd February 2007, 16:44
That's why I always make sure I have earplugs at rallies.

Bonez
23rd February 2007, 16:45
Because their balls drop over their arseholes and block the airway!It's not only men that snore when they're on there backs. All three major orifices fibulate...........

botb
23rd February 2007, 16:50
:whistle: What are you trying to say??? that we woman snore too?? NEVER
It's not only men that snore when they're on there backs.

Bonez
23rd February 2007, 16:56
:whistle: What are you trying to say??? that we woman snore too?? NEVERHave firsthand experiance on the nightly basis. She's in total denial though. And has never been to Egypt either.....

For the record I've got sleepapnia, had the jaw jig, etc. But I still snore and generally rely on a nudge in the ribs as a gentle reminder to lay on my side.

Jantar
23rd February 2007, 17:01
On the Passes ride, there were only two people :innocent: who I never heard snoring. Ruralman was one of them, so I guess his device really works. :yes:

far queue
23rd February 2007, 17:52
Earplugs work for me. They shut out the band so I can get to sleep, the snorers, so I can stay asleep, and the Harleys in the morning so I get a gentler start to the day :zzzz:

FREE2B
23rd February 2007, 18:05
Yeah earplugs ... even if the other thingys work you still have to get all snorers to cooperate :yes:

MyGSXF
23rd February 2007, 18:15
On the Passes ride, there were only two people :innocent: who I never heard snoring. Ruralman was one of them, so I guess his device really works. :yes:

ME.. :woohoo: woohooo.. pick me!!! :Punk: the other one was MEEEEEEE.....!!!!! :wari: :innocent:

FREE2B
23rd February 2007, 18:20
ME.. :woohoo: woohooo.. pick me!!! :Punk: the other one was MEEEEEEE.....!!!!! :wari: :innocent:

cOURSe it was :yes: cos everyone knows girls dont snore:dodge: :Punk:

MyGSXF
23rd February 2007, 18:21
cOURSe it was :yes: cos everyone knows girls dont snore:dodge: :Punk:

Damn right chickie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Punk:

doc
23rd February 2007, 18:22
There are some arseholes out there with friggin big balls then. Going by the noises you can hear on some of those South Island Rallies

FREE2B
23rd February 2007, 18:30
Damn right chickie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Punk:

Dont we KNOW it :yes: Hey girl are you guna make it to the hare??? Better bring those earplugs if you are:Punk:

MyGSXF
23rd February 2007, 18:40
Dont we KNOW it :yes: Hey girl are you guna make it to the hare??? Better bring those earplugs if you are:Punk:

:bye: probably not mate... :crybaby: lack of babysitters mostly.. & money.. blabla.. :argh:

But then.. ya juuuuussssttt neeever knooow... :shifty:

NighthawkNZ
23rd February 2007, 19:05
:bye: probably not mate... :bye: lack of babysitters mostly.. & money.. blabla.. :argh:

Sigh... am sure we will meet one day :bye:

Jantar
23rd February 2007, 19:09
Well Jen, I must admit I didn't hear you snore, so that's three I didn't hear. The third person May have snored the odd time, but I didn't him because I must have been asleep at the time. :innocent:

NighthawkNZ
23rd February 2007, 19:13
Well Jen, I must admit I didn't hear you snore, so that's three I didn't hear. The third person May have snored the odd time, but I didn't him because I must have been asleep at the time. :innocent:

is that counting yourself??? maybe four... but I heard you all snore and I was in Dunedin at the time...

:rofl:

MyGSXF
23rd February 2007, 19:20
Well Jen, I must admit I didn't hear you snore, so that's three I didn't hear.

I'm not bladdy surprised you didn't hear anyone snoring mate... :shit: with all the bladdy racket YOU were makin... :Pokey:

:shifty:

:shutup:

Ruralman
23rd February 2007, 19:21
Gee whats happening ruralman sheep and beef not need tending today lmao ...... te he he he he he yes i would tend to pack some earplugs if snoring or chimpanzee noises are eminating from others tents ....lmao but good salespitch hope your pharmacy mate breaks into the biker market and may his coffers overflow by the hand of the mighty 2 wheeled snoring/animal noise making leather clad hooligans we call our fellow rallygoer's!!!

Nah they can look after themselves today - waiting for the second half of a paddock of hay to dry - at this rate it'll come right next weekend!!!!

Hey I tried earplugs that night in Picton - didn't make enough difference, so either they were bloody loud snores (they were) or I need better earplugs ( probably do and am trying out some different ones I bought today)

And Hey it wasn't a bloody sales pitch:nono: it was genuine concern for the long term welfare of bikers and their nearest and dearest:violin: :love:

FREE2B
23rd February 2007, 19:25
:bye: probably not mate... :crybaby: lack of babysitters mostly.. & money.. blabla.. :argh:

oh well ... fingers crossed Its not over till the fat lady sings :Punk: anything could happen in a week :yeah: :woohoo:

Ruralman
23rd February 2007, 19:32

By the way - this injury of yours - does it hurt when someone pokes it??????:dodge:

doc
23rd February 2007, 19:33
cOURSe it was :yes: cos everyone knows girls dont snore:dodge: :Punk:I could say something crude about that partly because you need something covering something else as stated previously but I will be a gentlemen and not mention it. Don't want to embarrass the Southern Bells.

T.W.R
23rd February 2007, 19:49

:Oi: there was a third person in the room too you know :yes: two of them kept me up all night with their alcoholic overtures :zzzz:

You go CHAINSAW :shutup: some of us remember the terror of the deep south tearing it's way through the still night air at this years Brass :dodge:

miSTa
23rd February 2007, 20:22
How to respond...I know, my normal subtle, tactful way...:finger:

:Oi: there was a third person in the room too you know :yes: two of them kept me up all night with their alcoholic overtures :zzzz:
Never heard a thing...:finger:

You go CHAINSAW :shutup: some of us remember the terror of the deep south tearing it's way through the still night air at this years Brass :dodge:
This years brass? There goes all your credibility...:bye:

MyGSXF
23rd February 2007, 20:27
Sigh... am sure we will meet one day :bye:There's always Mohikinui, Blenheim Barge Run, Sundown.. & if I have my way.. the Brass!! :Punk:

T.W.R
23rd February 2007, 20:38
This years brass? There goes all your credibility...:bye:

:doh: it's been a long week OK :wacko: all my cred :weep: bugger

MyGSXF
23rd February 2007, 20:39
oh well ... fingers crossed Its not over till the fat lady sings :Punk: anything could happen in a week :yeah: :woohoo:

yeah.. :yes: now where did my fairy god father go this time... John.. oh John.. where for art thou Oldrider????? :innocent:

botb
24th February 2007, 07:13
By the way - this injury of yours - does it hurt when someone pokes it??????:dodge:

LOL yes it does sorry:innocent: was rather a down day yesterday boredom is setting in :innocent: my oldest darling decided to test my pain gauge and gave it a poke and found out that mum can speak something resembling cantonese:angry:

mmmm hay making not much wind lately bet everyone is behind and getting frustrated with the weather

ComfyRest
25th February 2007, 01:37
Not sure whether this is the best place to post this but it needs to go somewhere.
How many times have you been on a rally or sharing a room with other bikers at a backpackers, or even sharing a bed with one, and having what was probably going to be a limited nights sleep anyway ruined by someone snoring their bloody heads off.
Without naming names it was a bit of an issue on our recent Sth Island Passes trip but generally we sorted it without any major conflict, but it could have been much worse a problem. One of our members who knew he was usually a bad snorer unselfishly took himself away to sleep somewhere where he couldn't disturb the rest of us ( In actual fact he made less noise than some of us left behind!!)

About 6 months ago I bought one of these aveo TSD anti snoring devices as much for my own health as anything (because I don't usually have anyone in the same room to disturb). They really do work. It takes about a 5-7 days to get used to it and be able to go to sleep with it on. Occasionally I'll wake up and have the thing in my hand, or forget to put it back in after going to the loo or something, but if its in your gob holding your tongue it is impossible to snore (or talk or kiss or anything else with your mouth - but thats another story!)
Here's the link to the site which explains how it works (basically by grabbing your tongue, holding it forward, and preventing the blocking of the airway which causes snoring)

http://www.aveosleep.com/

On our passes trip we had a pharmacist, Jeff, with us and he runs an online pharmacy and was keen to do a promotion to the biker community
Heres his link
http://www.oamaru-pharmacy.com/snoring-special.html

I can assure you that this isn't a bloody jack up - I don't get any commission or anything. This product really works and can make a huge difference to how a group of bikers can travel and stay together without getting on each others nerves. If you are a snorer then there are some serious long term health implications of not getting it sorted which Jeff covers on his site. Do make sure though that if you get one that you do allow yourself some time to get used to it - 5-7 days - and don't just expect it to arrive the day before you leave and solve all your problems the first night.

Oh one last thing - the record message function on mobile phones is useful for collecting evidence for those in denial about their snoring!!! (as would the vidio function with sound on most modern digital cameras)

At the risk of sounding like a spammer I feel I should tell you of an alternative remedy for snoring. My snoring was a problem for the spouse. My wife would often wake me to stop. We found an unexpected solution that has stopped my snoring: The SquidFace and ComfyRest pillows. The snoring relief on my back was an unexpected benefit of an invention I patented for being able to lie facedown comfortably and breathe without turning my head to the side. Snoring relief and many additional pain relief benefits are on my website. www.SquidFace.com

NighthawkNZ
25th February 2007, 09:23
At the risk of sounding like a spammer I feel I should tell you of an alternative remedy for snoring. My snoring was a problem for the spouse. My wife would often wake me to stop. We found an unexpected solution that has stopped my snoring: The SquidFace and ComfyRest pillows. The snoring relief on my back was an unexpected benefit of an invention I patented for being able to lie facedown comfortably and breathe without turning my head to the side. Snoring relief and many additional pain relief benefits are on my website. www.SquidFace.com

The best alternative no snore devices is not sleeping stay up and party

miSTa
25th February 2007, 10:21
Unless your name Nighthawk or Dangerous...

In all practicality you cannot stop the people snoring at an event, however you can stop them from sleeping. If sleeping at an event is a priority then perhaps its the wrong event for you?

The Joka
25th February 2007, 10:56
It's easy really... ONLY WORKS IF YOUR A MALE THOUGH

Just give all the lads a good night kiss! GUARANTEE that no one will go to sleep until you have.. through fear of worse to come... hahahahaha

Macktheknife
25th February 2007, 10:58
Have firsthand experiance on the nightly basis. She's in total denial though. And has never been to Egypt either.....

For the record I've got sleepapnia, had the jaw jig, etc. But I still snore and generally rely on a nudge in the ribs as a gentle reminder to lay on my side.

Bonez, go get a sleep study done and get an apnoea machine, best thing ever! Not only does the snoring stop but the quality of sleep improves enormously. My wife used to sleep with earplugs every night, and sometimes sleep in different rooms, even at the other end of the house she could still hear me, not any more! Not only improves sleep, but also marital harmony!
See your GP for information.

Blind spot
27th February 2007, 11:32
Couple of years ago i did the hump ridge track walk thing, got abused by my mates the 2nd day cause i snored, next night was at port craig and we had to share a room with 3-4 others, i noticed the doc hut that was 50 yards away was empty so i took my sleeping bag and moved in there by myself.
had a great nights sleep snored and farted as much as i like, went back to get the rest of my gear the next day and to my absolute delight found the Korean guy the others were left sharing with had bugled away all night long.
They now let me share a room when we go away as at least they can abuse me and throw pillows etc at me.

Midnight Special
14th November 2007, 12:57
I find a heavy pillow pressed firmly on the snoorees face works good but the best cure is to sleep on the couch for a peacefull night ! maybe im not holding the pillow long enough ?

gijoe1313
14th November 2007, 15:04
Crikey! Brilliant this! I wish I had known about it sooner ... I snore so loudly, it's been compared to an aeroplane taking off! :o

Every time I've been on trips, I've always got a single room for myself to spare the others, when there hasn't been one, all my temporary room mates have suffered! :doh:

Need to try one and see if I don't wake up outside or by the beach for once! :lol:

sunhuntin
14th November 2007, 19:42

naw, thats not it. ive held snoring mens balls up, and it hasnt stopped the snoring.

Plugz 4 Lugz
14th November 2007, 20:18
Just out of interest, if any non-snorers are seeking to muffle their fellow snorers, consider having us make you some custom made earplugs. We've had some good recommendations from the one's we've made already. No, they don't provide complete deafness (for safety reasons you need to know if a fire alarm is ringing!!!!) but they will be more comfortable than having a pillow jammed over your head and your air supply cut off!! Cheers Sue

Macktheknife
14th November 2007, 23:32
For anyone who is interested try www.CPAP.com

ManDownUnder
15th November 2007, 04:28
Here's a few tips I have - gleaned in the world of travel - especially if you know you're going to have trouble sleeping because of the party in the room next to you, your aircon unit bearings are gone, you're on the ground floor in New York... whatever

1) Have a few drinks. Vodke and Orange does it for me personally. When you've had enough - have one more, top up on water and then go have a pee (make room for the upcoming torrent - or that'll wake you instead)
2) Put in earplugs. The best I found are shooting earplugs but chop the little stalks on them closer to the plug otherwise they dig into your ear when you lay down on them (you'll see what I mean if you buy them) Otherwise a bit of rolled up toiletpaper does a pretty good job - or the little sponge "roll em up and stuff em in" ones
3) Go to bed, lights out, and enjoy that "spinning" feeling.

... sleep well!

NighthawkNZ
15th November 2007, 05:55
I don't snore... well I have never heard my self so... just drink more you'll be right