PDA

View Full Version : Mini chopper in our street - road kill waiting to happen

Chickadee
23rd February 2007, 22:04
Anyone seen these mini choppers on the roads? Not sure that they're legal on the roads(no plate or indicators!), but I've seen kids (one in particular that lives in our street) riding without any gear on and no helmet. He's probably about 15, his Dads not bothered (we offered a helmet - which was refused).

One day something bads going to happen, he's either going to get hurt or killed on that bike, even pushbikes are supposed to have a helmet! No one wants to see him get hurt, but his Dad and himself seem to think that it's not a problem. What can be done is my question... (if anything)

And where are people supposed to ride these bikes if they're not allowed on the roads?

The Pastor
23rd February 2007, 22:06
Anyone seen these mini choppers on the roads? Not sure that they're legal on the roads(no plate or indicators!), but I've seen kids (one in particular that lives in our street) riding without any gear on and no helmet. He's probably about 15, his Dads not bothered (we offered a helmet - which was refused).

One day something bads going to happen, he's either going to get hurt or killed on that bike, even pushbikes are supposed to have a helmet! No one wants to see him get hurt, but his Dad and himself seem to think that it's not a problem. What can be done is my question... (if anything)

And where are people supposed to ride these bikes if they're not allowed on the roads?

Skate parks DUH! They are the funnest on pocket bikes!

Chisanga
23rd February 2007, 22:36
When I was being a full-time postie over summer holidays I saw a whole heap of these bikes around your area Chickadee. There are the mini choppers and the even smaller replica sportsbike things that look about the right size for a cat to ride!

Most of the guys on them ride on the footpath, I had a near miss on my postie bike one day and I can just imagine a car reversing out of a driveway and running them over.

In this PC world of ours I have no idea why they haven't been banned :lol:

At least the mini-choppers have to be road registered.

cynna
24th February 2007, 02:25
u have to die somehow

o hang on - lets all live in a cotton wool world

0arbreaka
24th February 2007, 03:41
One way to sort it is just unplug the spark plug, shouldnt be to hard to find as all of those mini heap of shits are single cylinder chinese made things. The dumb little shit riding the thing will spend hours trying to work out why his "cool" ride dosent work.

JimO
24th February 2007, 05:44
hey if the kid survives the chopper he will move on to proper motorcycles thereby helping to keep the resale value up on your bike

Donor
24th February 2007, 07:28
u have to die somehow

Yeah, I'm sure there isn't a person around today who wouldn't mind having the death of a stupid kid on their conscience - :tugger:

Sniper
24th February 2007, 07:42
Its ok, removes him from the gene pool if he dies. Might clean up the world and maybe teach the parents a lesson in basic common sense

scumdog
24th February 2007, 09:48
I guess it WILL happen but despite all the nay-sayer doom-and-gloom types forecasting it the mini-choppers etc seem to provide less fatalities than any other road users.

NZ= Wrap 'em in cotton wool 'til hell freezes over.:angry:

klingon
24th February 2007, 10:00
Anyone seen these mini choppers on the roads? Not sure that they're legal on the roads(no plate or indicators!), but I've seen kids (one in particular that lives in our street) riding without any gear on and no helmet. He's probably about 15, his Dads not bothered (we offered a helmet - which was refused)...

Chick, sounds like you've done all the right things. Talked to him, talked to his Dad, offered him a helmet. I don't know what else you can do. Hopefully he'll have a minor but painful accident (or one of his friends will) and he'll learn his lesson without any permanent damage to his body or brain.

Meanwhile, just avert your eyes and put your fingers in your ears each time he rides past so you'll be blissfully ignorant when he comes off, and won't have to go and clean up the mess. :sick:

RC1
24th February 2007, 10:02
if the parents dont care wtf should you ,you offered him a helmet he said no thanks so you tried so fark them i say not you problem .maybe it will thech the parents a hard lesson when he is scraped off someones bumper

Maha
24th February 2007, 10:03
u have to die somehow

Sharp as Bowling all mate.......:yes:

Yeah, I'm sure there isn't a person around today who wouldn't mind having the death of a stupid kid on their conscience - :tugger:

Agreed...we have a male here (must in his 30's) rides one thats seems bigger that the normal mini choppers, um shorts and a 'T' no lid etc..way inconsiderate of other road users in that, should anything happen ie: him V car? nuff said...

spookytooth
24th February 2007, 10:05
What is amazin is the amount of ppl still alive in my age group.Hell we all hooned about on push bikes with out helmets played in trees,and did allsorts of stuff that is concidered to unsafe today { just called it fun back then }some of us upgraded to motorbikes and some how didn't die wearing only great coats and jeans maybe gloves if it was cold :) Out of all my freinds that have had bikes over the years only one died in a crash he was wearing a lid.
having said all that today i wear good gear when ever i ride and made my boys wear it too when they had there minni motor bikes:bash:

scumdog
24th February 2007, 10:06
u have to die somehow

Why not get it over and done with?

Jump off the harbour bridge today.:yes:

Maha
24th February 2007, 10:14
Why not get it over and done with?

Jump off the harbour bridge today.:yes:

Cos' there is no Harbour Bridge in CH-CH......Jeez Scummy!!!.......:laugh:

davereid
24th February 2007, 10:56
He can probably run faster than he can go on that mini bike. And run further too, cos they dont last very long !

klingon
24th February 2007, 11:01
Apparently the best way to get a LOT of attention in Auckland is to start walking towards the bridge (preferably from the Northcote side) in your pajamas. There's a psych hospital of some kind over there and the 'authorities' are extremely twitchy about pj-clad bridge climbers.

I'm tempted to give it a go... :innocent:

YLWDUC
24th February 2007, 11:10
The main issue I have with the pocket/mini bikes (and scooters) is that they give proper motorcyclists a bad image when they arse about on the footpath etc. And when they eventually do get in an accident, the fact that they're not wearing proper gear means they're more likely to have serious accidents, and push up the ACC levy for motorbikes (but its not even our fault!)

scumdog
24th February 2007, 11:29
Cos' there is no Harbour Bridge in CH-CH......Jeez Scummy!!!.......:laugh:

My bad - forgot there IS life below Auckland.:dodge:
(It was actually a generic suggestion, a hint of what to do do)

avgas
24th February 2007, 11:32
sorry chickadee - you have done your duty now all you can do is wait for impact.
Father sounds like a prick - hope he hits his son 1 day and learns a valid lesson.
Darwin

White trash
24th February 2007, 11:47
Kids accross the road got a cool little mini chopper for Christmas or some shit, been teaching themselves to ride it. I thought it'd fuck me off with it chugging up and down the road all day but it's actually less of a bother than a lawn mower. They're not doing any harm in our quiet little culdesac.

Obviously some dickhead up the road thought differently and called the Five Oh on them and they got pinged the other day, poor bastards. I don't neccesarily aggree with not wearing a helmet but it's theirs and the parents decision, not ours.

scumdog
24th February 2007, 11:55
Obviously some dickhead up the road thought differently and called the Five Oh on them and they got pinged the other day, poor bastards. I don't neccesarily aggree with not wearing a helmet but it's theirs and the parents decision, not ours.

I guess risking getting pinged by the pigs was part of their decission too eh?

Or had they not though that far ahead?

White trash
24th February 2007, 12:04
Not sure how much thinking goes on accross the road to be honest, but they were just pootling along, sort of 20 kays type speeds, about as fast as a 1450 Dyna goes, you know. I don't think the helmet issue was on the "dobbers" agenda but ya never know, might have been trying to protect the kids from themselves.