PDA

View Full Version : Auckland: Coro Loop (25 February)

K6K
24th February 2007, 00:12
The Coro Loop!

Where: Meet at BP Autobahn on the Southern Motorway

When: Sunday 25th 8:30am for 9am departure

Why: 'Cause

Expected Weather: Fine/Cloudy - no rain expected.

Who: Not recommended for learners!
Anyone else who wants to keep up a reasonable pace on the straight bits and pin it on the twisty bits.
That said, there will be stops for people to catch up.
Ride at your own pace, NO MORE BINS!

Who's in?

slinky
24th February 2007, 01:00
yeh myt be in for that aye

eviltwin
24th February 2007, 07:30
pick up the new beast in 1.32mins and counting...scrub in the tyres today...ready for tomorrow!

sinned
24th February 2007, 07:38
I have read many posts on the coro loop. Please can someone tell me the roads that make up the loop?

Grahameeboy
24th February 2007, 07:46
I have read many posts on the coro loop. Please can someone tell me the roads that make up the loop?

Basically, Thames to Coromandel Town, across and down t'other side, Whitianga etc, just follow road, across bottom and back to Thames............

It's a cool ride but I think best in a small group or lonesome cause as you know many bins and you have to really keep your wits about you......

Personally I think I prefer it anti-clockwise, going up and over the coro hills can be a pain in the ass after lunch as I find I'm a little sluggish after having eaten.

You can do a run from coro straight up to whitianga fairly easy, stop for a drink, then jump over the hill for lunch, then a fairly cruisy ride back down toward thames.

bugjuice
24th February 2007, 08:58
fukin wuss.. go up the east side (right at Kopu (or a left as you pull out the station!)), go over to coromandle town for lunch n gas, then go back down the esat coast.. west coast sux

Firefight
24th February 2007, 09:03
. darn work.. grr

You got No sick leave left either ?

F/F:bye:

fukin wuss.. go up the east side (right at Kopu (or a left as you pull out the station!)), go over to coromandle town for lunch n gas, then go back down the esat coast.. west coast sux

Yeh maybe... it's all those pies man, they throw my centre of gravity all over the place. :(

beyond
24th February 2007, 09:53
The Coro loop is the best. :)

Nice straights, great high speed sweepers and heaps of loverly tight stuff.
I reckon going up the East Coast is best to Coro, then back the same way.

The coast road on the west side is cool but you have heaps of nutters with boats cutting corners, lots of 50kmh and 70kmh areas and going back the same way, means you get to do all the best bits twice. Takes a little longer but I reckon it's worth it :) That Coro hill from Whitinaga to Coro and then the hotmix bit over the hill, oh drool, drool.

Love to come but too much on :(

K6K
24th February 2007, 10:28
Map pics attached for those who have not been on the ride before...
Make the call on the day but...
Do we get to Kopu and
1: Turn right - counter clockwise loop - Kopu Hikuai > Whitianga > over to Coromandel then down the west side.
2: Turn left - Clockwise loop > Thames then up the west side

3: Or number 2: but only cross over from Coromandel to the east side (Whangpoua Rd?) then turn around and do that road again. That road deserves a second chance:yes: :yes:
That would cut out some of the boring bits :zzzz: around Whitianga but we would miss out on the Kou Hikuai Rd :(

saul
24th February 2007, 11:08
Hello :yes:

What time you gonna make kopu. I am zipping out early for coffee at Whanga so might be able to catch up there:rockon:

Pm if u like:innocent:

Cheers:scooter:

K6K
24th February 2007, 11:28
Hello :yes:

What time you gonna make kopu. I am zipping out early for coffee at Whanga so might be able to catch up there:rockon:

Pm if u like:innocent:

Cheers:scooter:

PM Sent see you Sunday.

saul
24th February 2007, 17:40
PM Sent see you Sunday.

Hope so:yes: Got your cell:rockon: will inform you a bit closer to the time.

Gremlin
24th February 2007, 17:40
I disagree with you lot, re the west coast. Sure, towns spoil it heaps, and traffic, but I really love the tight narrow roads, there is no "line" through corners, as its so narrow, there is no point in sitting out wide for a corner, its more about fast flicking from side to side, down tight bumpy roads... exciting!

Best bit I had was going past a tlr, while having headshake, down a short straight, blasted into the corner, and got a mate of his while exiting... brilliant stuff. Only problem is its still possible to lose your license there... :mellow:

I love coro... always gets me into the groove... just THE best around.

Edbear
24th February 2007, 18:48
Personally I think I prefer it anti-clockwise, going up and over the coro hills can be a pain in the ass after lunch as I find I'm a little sluggish after having eaten.

You can do a run from coro straight up to whitianga fairly easy, stop for a drink, then jump over the hill for lunch, then a fairly cruisy ride back down toward thames.

LOL!!! I thought clockwise for me next time as caning it down into Coromandel with all the heavy braking meant my wrists and neck/upper back were really suffering! Mebbe I's soft! :third: Still, now I got the cruiser I guess I won't be boing so hard...:yes:

Leong
24th February 2007, 18:59
I'd be keen if I had some front brakes - Have a good ride guys, see you Friday! :Punk:

bugjuice
24th February 2007, 19:03
pfft.. brakes just drag ya down..
i've got some old pads that are a little over 2/3s worn, if ya want.. still good, and should fit

Scouse
24th February 2007, 19:19
Would love to comallong but me front tire is shot so I'll have to say catch ya next time

SpankMe
24th February 2007, 19:23
I like doing the east coast as well. I love tight twisty narrow roads. If ya worried about oncoming traffic around blind corners, then to the loop anti-clockwise. That way all blind corners on the east coast are left handers where you are always gonna be hugging the cliff face away from any camper vans crossing the centreline.

K6K
24th February 2007, 20:51
I'd be keen if I had some front brakes - Have a good ride guys, see you Friday! :Punk:

Will do Leong, planning to head down Thursday night at this stage. Are you doing the MotoTT Trackday the next week also?

kevfromcoro
24th February 2007, 21:33
fuckit..i want to come 2.....have 2 work to-morrow..if u are riding an a aventure bike ..go across the tapu coroglen road..hasnt changed in 100 yrs.not for road bikes though..watch out 4 holiday makers..campervans,,guys towing boats.theres heaps of them down here at the moment...some nice twisties coming down the coast..lots of fun..high tide is around ..2pm..dont end up in the water....keep the power on........KEV

loneranger
25th February 2007, 01:55
im in, dont care which way ya go, coro rocks!

slinky
25th February 2007, 17:09
Thanks all! was an awesome ride.
have come to the conclusion: New Zealand is just one big fuck off race track!

K6K
25th February 2007, 19:17
I had an awesome day, It was a great bunch of guys to ride with
We had:
No cops. (I think I saw a couple at the beginning and end of the ride on the other side of the motorway)
No Bins
Very little waiting (all riders were going a good pace - well matched)
Roads in great condition - minimal roadworks and with the lack of rain sod all slippery bits.
We got to do that road between Coromandel Town and Whitanga Twice!!
Not too much traffic
Bloody good pizzas for lunch at Whitianga - cant remember the place name but they were goood.

How good is that?

All in all I rate this ride pretty highly, and we will def have to do it again soon.

Till next time,

cheers.

slinky
25th February 2007, 21:05
Pizza place is called "the fireplace"

beyond
25th February 2007, 21:18
We got to do that road between Coromandel Town and Whitanga Twice!!

Good on ya mate, that's the story and man that's gotta be the best bit of motorcycling road in this country :) Shame we have to ride across the plains and do all the boring bits before you get to that stretch. Be nice if it was right in our backyard.

Mind you, I can't complain. Drop down the hill from my place and I'm in the Hunua gorge, Skyhigh Road, Monument Road, then all those good bits to Kaiaua :)

Still, I do love love the Coro loop.

TONO
26th February 2007, 20:01
Good on ya mate, that's the story and man that's gotta be the best bit of motorcycling road in this country :) Shame we have to ride across the plains and do all the boring bits before you get to that stretch. Be nice if it was right in our backyard.

Mind you, I can't complain. Drop down the hill from my place and I'm in the Hunua gorge, Skyhigh Road, Monument Road, then all those good bits to Kaiaua :)

Still, I do love love the Coro loop.

Yes but everybody knows your a Coro slut:love: :yes:
How is the bike and leg? all recovered.

beyond
26th February 2007, 21:36
Yes but everybody knows your a Coro slut:love: :yes:
How is the bike and leg? all recovered.

Coro slut? Me? :) You might be right mate. Shame no one pays me to do it cos then I could go every day.

Yep, the ankles a lot better. Gets a bit sore if I'm on it all day. Lousy job :(

Bike is good. I've got a set of Pirellis on her now, Strada rear and Corsa front and it goes well now that I've turned back the Scott Oiler from full flow. Still had the back end getting out on me on the Pirellies which was playing with my head till I discovered the scott oiler was on full. Certainly explained my off mate.

Anyway, looks like the pirellis aren't going to see more than 4,000kms. I've done 3500kms since getting the bike back and there's not much left on them.
Might give the Michelin Pilot Powers a work out. Heard guys on Busas are getting reasonable k's out of them. Lot more than I'm getting from anything else except Pilot Roads.