PDA

View Full Version : Going down..

$CENSLS1$
24th February 2007, 11:32
Hey people,
Just need a bit of riding advice.I've now got used to the KLX250 and have found when down shifting that it is a lot easier for me to just 'blip' the throttle a small amount and shift down without the clutch when I match the speed of the bike with the correct gear.I have been using the clutch all the time on up and down shifts since I got the bike but thought i'd try without just on the downshifts and for me it seems a lot easier.

What I wanted to know is will this damage my g'box and clutch assembly or is it fine to downchange like this?
Any infomation would be muchly appreciated :scooter:

White trash
24th February 2007, 12:12
Not sure if it'll actually damage anything provided it's done correctly every time, however I think you risk bending a selector if the momentum of the bike is loading the engine and you have to give it a good boot to go through.

Someone with more knowledge and mechanical sympathy than me will either confirm or deny this theory soon.

onearmedbandit
24th February 2007, 12:55
I downchange regularly without the clutch on my road bike, and as long as it is done correctly you shouldn't do any damage. However it is very easy to get your timing wrong, so you will need to know when the timing is right or wrong, otherwise you will be up for gearbox rebuilds.

trumpy
24th February 2007, 12:56
In my last race car (dog g/box) I used the clutch off the line then didn't touch it again until I got in the pits. Four seasons in that car and never needed any work on the g/box, same for the present owner. Similarly in my Husaberg dirt bike I rarely used the clutch in either direction except in traffic on large rides (Desert Storm etc). Used up two engines but the box was untouched and working perfectly when I sold it. Getting back on a road bike after a very long time away I tended to use the clutch all the time. Now I normally only use it in traffic. Done 26,000ks on the bike and all is good so far...............mind you, it is a Triumph so I'm not making any predictions...:whistle:
All a matter of timing and lots of practice...........bear in mind tho I am very slow and have lots of time to get it right!
Generally if you don't get it right then you tend just to miss the gear. On the road at my speed this is generally not a problem but it can be tricky in certain situations on a dirt bike (like halfway up particularly steep, narrow, snotty hill with all your mates watching...........)

$CENSLS1$
24th February 2007, 21:45
Yeah the only time that i've been doing it is on the road (road legal trailbike) which is where I use my bike the most at the moment, apart from the occacional blast up the forest and down the beach.

Ok well I think I'll still use the clutch on most shifts, but is good to know that I can shift without it if the conditions are right and I'm feeling a bit 'racey' thanks for the info guys.Will keep the practice up :Punk: