PDA

View Full Version : ATTN Rowers

0arbreaka
24th February 2007, 13:54
I was just wondering who on kb rows or used to row, as some of you may already know Im really into my rowing. So If you do row or used to, Id be interested as to what club and grade you are/were in.

Cheers
Pat

Swoop
24th February 2007, 14:04
Since Mr Johnson's marvellous invention appeared, I do not see the need.
Mr Seagull did well in the past as well.

Steam
24th February 2007, 14:10
I used to row for the Nelson senior men, I was three-seat in the eight.
We got 4th in the Open Eights at the Nationals one year, pretty okay for a town as small as Nelson. I haven't rowed for five years or so, but I work on a boat and the other month we capsised an eight with our wake. Silly buggers, side on to the waves! We got a dragon-boat last week too, way easier to capsise them.

ninjac
24th February 2007, 14:27
Hi Pat, you must be a good bugger because you row AND ride a kwaka.
Way back when I rowed in a four and an eight for my high school and Hawkes Bay Rowing Club. I started at the club the same time as Caroline Evers-Swindel. Her twin sister Georgina didn't start rowing until a couple seasons later.
I got a couple of medals with my crews at the North Island Secondary School Champs in the novice eight and in the light-weight four. Never got the chance to go to the national champs.
I started rowing in the bow no.4 then when to no.2.

Colapop
24th February 2007, 14:34
I row right now! Started rowing when I was at college many moons ago in Wairoa (great rowing river - probably the best in the country) and we went to Maadi a couple of times. But as is usual for small country town boys we just pissed it up as much as we could.
Now I row for Wellington Club Masters and last weekend went to Masters games in Wanganui. Came back with a gold in mens novice 4's and two bronzes - mens open 4's and open 8's. I row at in a 4 and 3 or 5 in an 8.

Steam - get yo' ass down to the club yo'. Training is on Wedsnesday, Friday (6am - Frank Kitts lagoon) and Sunday (9:30am - Korokoro). Masters starts at 27 y/o....

0arbreaka
24th February 2007, 16:42
I used to row for Kings College, Won U17 8+ at North Islands and u17 8+ at Maadi in 2005, then we won Head of Harbour in 2006. We got 3rd in the U18 8+ at North Islands 2006 and got 2nd at Maadi 2006 by less than a second. I then moved on to represent Auckland U21 interprovincials in 2006 moving from there to represent Auckland regional performance centre 2007, although I didnt race this season.

Lissa
24th February 2007, 17:23
I row on my rowing machine.. does that count? :mellow:

Club Mel..... do 25Kms a night!! Finish first everytime!! :Punk:

But seriously looks like good fun, want to give it a try oneday.

0arbreaka
24th February 2007, 23:53
But seriously looks like good fun, want to give it a try oneday.

I recomend it, its very addictive once you get into it.

Colapop
25th February 2007, 07:19
And, Mel, you'll no doubt lurve to perv at the tall tanned muscular men that congregate at rowing clubs and regattas...

Colapop
25th February 2007, 08:12
The rivalry is still there... Went up to KR2 at Karapiro and they went at it big time... almost to the point of running into each other.

Steam
25th February 2007, 08:57
Bump races are the most fun, "The point of this race is to chase the other boat and bump the back of their fragile $20 000 boat with your fragile $20 000 boat."
Be careful now...!

Colapop
25th February 2007, 09:27
Wgtn college's new 8 was $45,000! official launch next weekend...

0arbreaka
25th February 2007, 11:59
Wgtn college's new 8 was $45,000! official launch next weekend...

What type of 8 is it? kirs? euro?
Kings has got the only Hudson 8 in the southern hemisphere, my crew were the crew in which it was brought for. That boat is a bloody fast boat and is probably the best 8 Ive ever rowed in, it leaves kirs in the dust.

puddy
25th February 2007, 14:32
EMPACHER!:gob:

0arbreaka
25th February 2007, 14:39
Empacher's are bloody good boats, But its not the boat that wins the race its the crew that wins the race. I'd be interested as to what crew this boat is meant for. In my opinon Hamilton boys have got the Maadi cup this season, although I have been proven wrong before with my assumptions, I will on the other hand have a decent indicator as to who is going to be in the running for it after North and South Island champs.

Colapop
25th February 2007, 15:34
Wgtn Col. are not even attending Maadi this year..!?! The development of rowers is always difficult with other sports but it seems to be virtually non-existent at WC at the moment. We have some committed year 9's this year but it remains to be seem what they'll make of them. I've said they should be targeting the new year 9's with a view to building 3 or 4 strong crews to choose from. I don't know what the 8 is (I'll find out on Sunday at the naming) or who will predominantly use it. There's not enough 8's racing - too much focus on 4's.

R6_kid
25th February 2007, 15:34
I rowed 4 years at Westlake Boys... only competed in 8's and 4's. Got a couple of seconds and North Island Champs, and one Silver at Maadi in my novice year.

Later on in the piece i rowed for Auckland U21's as an U17 and we took out the interprovincial cup in the 8, but due to some fucktards rowing a coxless four in a coxed 4 raced we got taken out and couldnt make a come back to take the 4 as well.

Also trialled for NZ Juniors in 2004, but i wasnt called up to last minute and as such had reverted to eating 2-3 pies a day and not training - so i didnt get in!

Best ever 2k was 6.31 but i was soft, probably could go a lot faster..

After my senior year at school i coached for a year and managed to improve the crew i took over by nearly 14 places at Maadi so i was pretty stoked... for some reason they expected to win even though they were 7th in the C final the year before :shutup:

Lissa... 25kms? It used to take me 17mins to do a 5km test as hard as i could... how long does it take you to do 25kms?

Our top boats were Ted Hales, which were an Australian copy of a 1970 Empacher design, still went bloody well, and was amazingly stable in the water. WBHS has since gone to KIRS boats, but i think that was due to cost and one of the coaches trying to keep his friends at Rowing NZ happy.

0arbreaka
25th February 2007, 21:38
My best was 6:15.00 although I was probably capable of better at the time. Im expected to do a whole lot better this coming season..

R6_kid
26th February 2007, 15:41
haha, nice one. You must be one of the boys on the 'special enhancement program' :yes:

What category are you rowing in atm?

0arbreaka
26th February 2007, 16:04
haha, nice one. You must be one of the boys on the 'special enhancement program' :yes:

What category are you rowing in atm?

Hahaha, I think the correct terminology for it is Auckland RPC, or did you mean someting else??
Im in the U21 category at the moment but I want to go up a category to Premiers at some stage in the near future.

0arbreaka
27th February 2007, 19:44
When can I expect to see you at a rowing event r6?

ajturbo
1st March 2007, 18:39
I row right now! Started rowing when I was at college many moons ago in Wairoa (great rowing river - probably the best in the country) and we went to Maadi a couple of times. But as is usual for small country town boys we just pissed it up as much as we could.
Now I row for Wellington Club Masters and last weekend went to Masters games in Wanganui. Came back with a gold in mens novice 4's and two bronzes - mens open 4's and open 8's. I row at in a 4 and 3 or 5 in an 8.

Steam - get yo' ass down to the club yo'. Training is on Wedsnesday, Friday (6am - Frank Kitts lagoon) and Sunday (9:30am - Korokoro). Masters starts at 27 y/o....

but not as good as the ones in the south Island big boy!!:nono::sunny: