PDA

View Full Version : Z1000ST coils substitute

mitchilin
24th February 2007, 20:50
Is there any aftermarket coils that would substitute for these?They were different to all the other kwakas of their age.Some advice on bike coils would be welcome.My bike uses a pickup system not points.

Wheeliemonsta
26th February 2007, 12:02
Gidday,
Can you give me the chassis number off the old girl - just so I can work out exactly what model it is...

Cheers

:Punk:

pete376403
26th February 2007, 13:09
two spark plugs per coil? Something off the GS or GSX Suzukis might work. the last of the GS mtors were pickup rather than points so I would expect all the GSX used pickups to trigger as well

mitchilin
27th February 2007, 17:30
Frame number is KZT 00E 014766.Tried the bike wreckers on the weekend and they had one coil but the leads were too short.They suggested maybe Gpz900 coils.

craisin
2nd March 2007, 04:42
I put a CX500 coil on my chinese 50cc four stroke its just a single sparkplug coil but its big and it has a removable pluglead:scooter:

mitchilin
3rd March 2007, 21:47
I put a CX500 coil on my chinese 50cc four stroke its just a single sparkplug coil but its big and it has a removable pluglead:scooter:

Thanks for trying to help mate but I want to do this right.Wrong coils could make the pick ups crap out (so I'm told)

hmmmnz
4th March 2007, 13:23
is either of your coils working??
if so measure the resistance on both sides of the coil (primary and secondry windings) thats the most important bit, get that wrong and something will fry :D
if you can do that ill search through some manuals and see if i can find anything that is the same

classic zed
8th March 2007, 12:46
I put coils off a twin turbo V6 mitsubishi on my Z1300, they measure 2.5 ohm which is exactly right for the ignition system, they produce a massive spark and as they are usually bolted to the engine they can cope with the heat without any problems,

They are about the same size as the stock Kawasaki coils too.

I have just fitted two to a Z1R running points, Im going to run it later to see if it is ok.

:scooter: