PDA

View Full Version : ZXR250 Running on 3

bonus
25th February 2007, 20:51
Hey Guys

Have a problem with my zxr :(

Bike starts ok, but almost immediatley runs on 3 cylinders, feels like its over fueling itself as its kinda clears out when you give it a good rev but also spits out black smoke (unburnt fuel) at the same time

Have replaced the spark plugs and have made sure each one is getting spark.
Have removed the carbies and drained the float bowls and re-adjusted the float height in each bowl.

After doing this it started perfectly but as soon as i took it on the road and opened it up it hesitated and started itermittantley running 3 then 4 then 3 then 3 then died!

Any ideas as to what the problem could be, i suspect the carbies but any info would be appreciated

Cheers

Leon

N4CR
25th February 2007, 21:23
most probably carbs (common to do that down to 3 or even 2 cyls on the zxr250s) when theya re stuffed but as you have adjusted them could also be the coils/rectifiers or or something crapping out have heard of that being quite common although i got a decent 35-40k with no problems on my old one.

drained your fuel/tried a different octaine? didn't fillup jus tafter the tanker came in or something...?

bonus
25th February 2007, 21:29
nah ive had the bike for a month now and have gone through 3 tanks fulls of 95octane with no issues aye, fuels flowing well and is nice and clean.

N4CR
25th February 2007, 21:42
try 91 will burn hotter sometimes cleans out crap better i found..

bonus
25th February 2007, 22:01
what do you reckon would be a better option

1. take the carbs out and take em to be cleaned/retuned
or
2. take the whole bike into to be looked at???

N4CR
25th February 2007, 22:08
what do you reckon would be a better option

1. take the carbs out and take em to be cleaned/retuned
or
2. take the whole bike into to be looked at???

well probably best to take whole bike in eh... pull the fairings off first takes less tiem so smaller bills etc.

reason i say take bike in is.. if it's not the carbs then they will not be of much use to clean them like it seems you already have done most of waht they would do anyway... so it might be something else. also you can say take it for a spin make sure it dont run on 3 befor eyou get it back so they know they have fixed it.. if it come sback ****ed then you can take it to them and say ahem fix it properly please.

edit: what cly is it? check yet to see which one. also check your fuel filter/lines from memory the filter is where the fuel taps are under the tank.

bonus
25th February 2007, 22:15
yeah i was thinking taake the whole thing in aye, think it might be the first cylinder as when i pulled the lead it made no difference to how it ran, gonna take it in and go "meh fix it!"

wildpudding
26th February 2007, 17:27
Dunno if this helps but had a problem on my bike running on 3 or so, turned out to be due to a lack of fuel. The fuel line from the tank to the carbs was slightly kinked, and at high RPM it would surge then run rough. Seemed to fix the problem after sorting the kinkyness out...

Stefan

scracha
26th February 2007, 17:31
Could be plugs, coils or HT leads. Take out one plug at a time, earth it. Rev bike up to reasonable level. Check you're getting a nice fat spark from each plug.

bonus
26th February 2007, 18:11
yeah done all that aye, each plug getting a good spark and have also made sure there is no kinking in any of the fuel lines

mitchilin
27th February 2007, 18:31
Is it dropping the same cylinder each time?Quick way of checking which pot is gone is to spit on a finger then touch each exhaust.The one thats down won't sizzle the same.Then pull that plug.If it's wet it's electrical.If its dry it's gas.