PDA

View Full Version : "Old Coach Road" Hutt to Judgeford - can you ride here?

mazz1972
26th February 2007, 09:42
Can anyone confirm for me whether Normandale Road (Belmont) through to Belmont Road (which comes out at SH58 not too far from Judgeford) is a walking track only?

My 2005 AA map of Wellington region and my new Wellington wises map book both show this as a road (BTW both show it as sealed); as opposed to a track.

But a quick google search found this on the Greater Wellington www:

Old Coach Road; Moderate grade; 3 hours
The original route between Normandale and Pauatahanui, the Old Coach Road starts at the top of Normandale Road and crosses Belmont Regional Park (including Waitangirua Farm) via a road sized track. It finishes at Belmont Road, off SH58. No dogs.
Please keep to the designated route. Walk closed August-November for lambing.

From which I understand it is a walking track only….but can anyone confirm?

skelstar
26th February 2007, 09:55
Its a grassed over 4WD farm road really. Mountain Biked it a few times...gates etc. Maybe I had to climb some stiles (sp?).

bungbung
26th February 2007, 10:10
The gates are locked, it runs through the landcorp farm, which menas no access during lambing season but otherwise free access for walkers/cyclists.

edit: I see the orange text now.

Steam
26th February 2007, 11:51
If it's a paper road, you can drive it, ride it, whatever. AND cut all the fences along the way if you like. Check with the council if it's still designated as a legal road, some paper roads have been cancelled.