PDA

View Full Version : WOF failed because of displaced headlight - how to fix?

zeocen
26th February 2007, 11:26
Well I went to get a WOF this morning and everything was hunkydory except my lights were way too weak due to me doing a DIY light bulb replacement. It seems I didn't line it up properly or something? The guy said it's just too low down and there wouldn't be enough light ahead of me for riding at night, which is fair enough.. he said it's just how it's fitted.

So I was wondering how I move the light around to get it in an appropriate area? (Preferably without taking the fairings off *again*)

thanks!

Panther
26th February 2007, 11:37
there is an adjuster at the back of your headlights behind the dials, should be able to get at it with a 10mm or sumthing without taking off those fairings, adjusts the angle of the light, therefore appearing brighter or not. mines adjusted as 'bright' as it can go but its still only minimal...:shutup:

Crisis management
26th February 2007, 11:39
Put more air in the front tyre??

Sorry, I don't know the answer but most headlight adjustments are from the back of the light so you may have to play with the fairings some more.
There are usually two adjustments, one for vertical, either top or bottom of the light, and one for horizontal. Usually they are adjustable by hand (smalls knobby things...)

Motu
26th February 2007, 11:42
Did you just replace the bulb or did you remove the headlamp as well.Either way it should go back together as it was with no adjustment required....I suspect you got something out of whack.Make sure the bulb is fully seated in the lamp unit.Aim it at the wall,high beam the same height off the grouind as the lamp.

Maha
26th February 2007, 11:47
Could even be a simple matter of twisting the glass clockwise.....:yes:
Wife's GN had the same prob once, just moved the glass around until the WOF guy was happy...did it on the spot there

zeocen
26th February 2007, 11:56
there is an adjuster at the back of your headlights behind the dials, should be able to get at it with a 10mm or sumthing without taking off those fairings, adjusts the angle of the light, therefore appearing brighter or not. mines adjusted as 'bright' as it can go but its still only minimal...:shutup:

You wouldn't happen to know what that adjuster looks like would you? hehe

I suspect it may have just been my doing, I just replaced the bulb and nothing else but I remember it looking and feeling right when I put the new one in so maybe it is the adjuster..

Thanks for the help so far guys!

Macktheknife
26th February 2007, 12:57

I suspect it may have just been my doing, I just replaced the bulb and nothing else but I remember it looking and feeling right when I put the new one in so maybe it is the adjuster..

Thanks for the help so far guys!

Depending on the make/age of the bike, it could be a screw in the casing of the headlight mounting, or it could be a plastic covered adjuster screw, or similar.

Panther
26th February 2007, 13:31

looks like a bolt thingy but if you look closely it doesnt actualy appear to be holding up the fort. on the back of the headlights. go have a play!

zeocen
26th February 2007, 14:10
I found both the horizontal and vertical adjustments and after a few minutes of playing in the garage, then a few at the WOF station (was a bit too high hehe) I got my WOF.

Thanks a lot all! Didn't even need to miss a day of riding thanks to KB!:scooter: :scooter: :scooter: