PDA

View Full Version : Wellington weekend, hardly touring but...

pritch
27th February 2007, 09:32
As mentioned elsewhere I went to Wellington this last weekend. The weather was kind Friday on the journey down except for a deluge just prior to Levin but the wet weather gear held up OK.

On Saturday we went over the Paekakariki track, up to Waikanae and across the Akatarawa Road then back over the Haywards. I remembered the Akatarawa Road as being tight from when I went over there in 1971 on a 360 dirt bike. A dirt bike would have been a better choice than the VFR. There were a lot more 4WDs this time too, the drivers of which were predominantly interested in the scenery rather than their driving...

Later we went to the top of Mt Victoria which reminded me further why my friends and I all rode dirt bikes way back when.

Sunday we journeyed up to Manfield via Sanson and watched the races. Spotted some of the KBers in action, then went back to Wellington via the Pahiatua Track and The Rimutaka Hill Road. Last time I went over the Hill there were a lot of road works but that section is all new seal now. Nice!
Shame about the traffic.

Monday I headed home. I don't envy you Wellytonions the endless traffic snarl-ups on SH 1 out of Wellington. Also, I didn't think the driving in New Plymouth was anything flash but you have some rare idiots driving around down there.

Next trip is the South Island in a months time, itinery to be decided...

ceebie13
27th February 2007, 10:18
I don't envy you Wellytonions the endless traffic snarl-ups on SH 1 out of Wellington.

Yeah, it's a crap road allright. Snarl-ups and boring as watching the All Blacks or V8's. For that reason, Bex and I hardly ever go out to play that way...much more fun to be had in the Rapa and beyond.

Next trip is the South Island in a months time, itinery to be decided...

Ditto :-)