PDA

View Full Version : What makes the 'tick-tick' from indicators

steved
27th February 2007, 11:54
I ran a search on Kiwibiker and Google and couldn't find an answer.

Is it simply the relay clicking on and off that I am hearing when the indicators are going? Funny how I feel the need to know these things but anyway :rockon:

vifferman
27th February 2007, 11:58
It's the mechanical switch in the indicator relay.

Disco Dan
27th February 2007, 12:00
I ran a search on Kiwibiker and Google and couldn't find an answer.

Is it simply the relay clicking on and off that I am hearing when the indicators are going? Funny how I feel the need to know these things but anyway :rockon:

Mine doesn't make this sound at all. It must be broken. I'd be interested in finding out where I can buy a couple (or is it just one?) of these "tick-tick" things from.

flipping eck... relays make a 'clicking' sound when they switch on the indicating circuit.

Modern bikes use electronic switchin circuitry - without needing relays.

N4CR
27th February 2007, 12:16
as far as i know on older bikes they use a thermal relay to switch on and off, they actually move so would make a clicking sound. current passed through a strip of wire it heats up and bends and then completes the current loop, not entirely sure if thats all of the story though, maybe i'm wrong.. been a long time.

thermal relay so it has movement the sound is current to bulb clicking on... like a heater with a thermostat. try google mate.

limbimtimwim
27th February 2007, 12:21
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timer#Electromechanical_timers .

The moving bits of metal click.

onearmedbandit
27th February 2007, 12:55
I know with cages they have to make an audible sound so you are aware they are on, quite strange driving a car that doesn't. Not sure whether the same ruling applies to bikes.

Warr
27th February 2007, 13:42
Hasnt been quoted yet,.... but the older indicator relays contain a bimetalic strip. Usually copper and steel... Something with a little bit of resistance that causes it to heat up and bend. The bending is due to the different heating characteristics of the 2 metals. The heating is due to the current flow lighting the lights. When it bends it breaks the circuit and in the case of indicators the light goes out. The Bimetalic strip cools and makes contact with the live terminal and the circuit is restored and the lights turn on. This process repeating all the time the indicator switch is thrown.

crazybigal
27th February 2007, 13:58
i know with the little 50cc scooters they have a we clicker wired up to them! so you can hear it. maybe the same for some bikes.

steved
27th February 2007, 14:24
Hasnt been quoted yet,.... but the older indicator relays contain a bimetalic strip. Usually copper and steel... Something with a little bit of resistance that causes it to heat up and bend. The bending is due to the different heating characteristics of the 2 metals. The heating is due to the current flow lighting the lights. When it bends it breaks the circuit and in the case of indicators the light goes out. The Bimetalic strip cools and makes contact with the live terminal and the circuit is restored and the lights turn on. This process repeating all the time the indicator switch is thrown.

Awesome, cheers.

Motu
27th February 2007, 14:29
I know with cages they have to make an audible sound so you are aware they are on, quite strange driving a car that doesn't. Not sure whether the same ruling applies to bikes.

VISUAL lamp failure warning device.Audible indication is just a bonus of antiquated design....and it appears it's expected.

onearmedbandit
27th February 2007, 15:42
VISUAL lamp failure warning device.Audible indication is just a bonus of antiquated design....and it appears it's expected.

There you go then, I've been put in my place well and proper.

Motu
27th February 2007, 16:37
There you go then, I've been put in my place well and proper.

As one of the LTNZ's elite AVI's there is nothing more empowering than Lording it over others with my superior knowledge of WoF regulations....while holding my personal copy of the Bible you can't read....

Unless you go online....