PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki SV650S K6

Pwalo
27th February 2007, 12:22
OK, confession time first. The SV has been a bit of a culture shock for me. This is the first bike that I've owned which has had:

Clip ons
Rear sets
Watercooling
Fuel injection
Alloy frame
Body mounted fairing
Over 50 bhp

Thankfully riding the SV has been a revelation as well. Although it tries to look like a full on sportsbike the SV is really more of a sporty all rounder, which is just fine by me.

I was a bit worried that I would find the riding position a bit extreme after the GS, but after a few ks it's actually really comfortable. The clip ons are above the top triple clamp, and the rear sets aren't too rear set. Ok it's a bit wristy if you're stuck in a queue and can't filter, but any other time it's fine.

Handling wise the SV seems to have the basics right. It's very stable, but quick and easy to change direction once you're used to the different inputs required compared to more upright, wide barred bikes. It also hauls up really well compared with the GS, as it should with the extra front disc and meatier forks.

Some reviewers have given the SV a hard time about it's pretty basic suspension, but I really haven't had any problems with the bike still on it's factory settings. Then again I don't really brake late, or accelerate really hard, and weigh under 70kg.

The SV's engine is a real beaut. I've only got 1.2k on the bike at the moment so it's still a wee bit tight, although the gear changes are getting better, and it seems to spin up a bit more freely now. After having carbed bikes previously FI is a real doddle. Turn the key, hit the starter, and wait for the engine to warm up a bit!

Performance wise it isn't going to threaten a 600 sports bike once you're past 120ks or so, but I reckon below that the SV would be pretty close. I really like the way that the bike delivers it's power. It's delivered in a linear fashion, and doesn't appear to have any noticeable dips or surges. The SV seems to be a bike that is best ridden as smoothly as possible.

Looks wise the SV is probably one of those bikes that you either like, or despise. I really like it (yes we all buy our bikes based on their specs now, don't we?). It reminds me of an insect, or one of those old Transformer toys that my boys used to love.

I haven't had a chance to ride at night yet so I can't comment on the lights, but they seem pretty decent. I haven't ridden in the rain yet so I can't comment on that either.

Well that's it for the moment. I've only had a couple of weeks on the bike so far, so I'm still finding things out. I've got a list of possible upgrades already though!

V4ME
27th February 2007, 14:01
Cool choice - I've still got a K2 - which has the carbs - but I really love the rounded shape of that model (as you say different tastes) Mind you I find mine really smooth anyway and as you also say, I too am not heavy and I do not have any problems with the standard suspension setup nor the braking really. I do tend to push it a bit in the twisties and so far have not had any real problems with the brakes. I suppose if they were better brakes I would notice it.
My friend (who I mainly ride with) has lately test ridden a few bikes as he wants to get a V twin, he has ridden mine quite a bit and loves it (he currently has a Suzuki 1200 Bandit and he maintains the brakes are a lot better than his Bandit - I tend to agree. (He is a lot heavier and has settled on a VTR1000 due to the seating etc)
He has also ridden a 1000 SV to test it but says somehow mine seems gruntier and the 1000 seems too tame (I cant possibly see how) But I do know mine is pretty darn quick. Yeah I know it's not in the same league as the GSX's etc but man it has great power I can handle and enjoy doing so.
Incidentally - I was at Paeroa and watched the chap on his sv650 in the formula 3 class who won that - was not that slower round the track in the feature race with all the other class winners, so really they are not that far behind for a sport tourer.

Enjoy your 650 - they are great :Punk: :Punk: :Punk: