PDA

View Full Version : Yoshimura EMS - Advice please.

onearmedbandit
27th February 2007, 13:54
Right in a previous thread I spoke of getting a Power Commander for my bike. Only reason I was looking at this was it was advertised on trademe, and was reasonably priced. So asking lots of questions of the unit (model etc) he couldn't provide suitable answers (warning bells going off here) but offered to send it to me to try out, if I like it I'd pay otherwise send it back to him. Things seemed a little fishy but I figured I had not much to lose.

Well it turned up today, but really it didn't. Not a PC at all, rather a Yoshimura Engine Management System. Now I've downloaded the software for the ems from yoshi's website, along with an exe that contained shed loads of maps for the GSXR, but fuck me looks like I'll have to spend some serious time on a dyno getting it all tuned in. Which is not really what I was after (yes I know it would've been necessary with the pc as well, but the pc has maps for specific setups, this just has lots of maps that mean nothing to me).

So yes the guy mis-represented his auction (even provided a link to the pc site!) but now it's in my hand and I haven't paid for it yet, is it a worthwile modification to my bike for the $220 outlay? And yes my bike runs fine as it is, plenty of power etc. The only reason I'm going down this path is because I thought it was a simple plug and play Power commander, not an involved Yoshi black box. Does anyone have any knowledge of these, is it worth it, or should I just send it back?

TIA.

vifferman
27th February 2007, 14:02
Now I've downloaded the software for the ems from yoshi's website, along with an exe that contained shed loads of maps for the GSXR, but fuck me looks like I'll have to spend some serious time on a dyno getting it all tuned in.
So do the maps for the GSXR not help? How are these different to those you get for a PC (not labelled properly or summat)?

Sorry - I don't have any experience with a Yoshi box, but I've played with a PCII, and although (for both of them) a dyno probably gives the best results, I found that if I chose a likely looking map, loaded it, rode the bike and then asked myself, "Is this an improvement or is it worse?" it at least allowed me to get the bike running better than stock/the previous map I tried.

Surely there's a GSXR forum that has specific answers to the questions you might have?

onearmedbandit
27th February 2007, 14:13
Surely there is, and there is. However I don't frequent that board very much so figured I'd ask here first. And yeah the maps are not clearly labeled, whereas the PC ones are, for say, GSXR1000 with Yoshi Slip-on and K&N filter.

I only suppose I can try it and see what happens. The seller claims he had it running on a K2 thou with yoshi slip on and BNC filter and it worked fine. Only thing is, I hate for this info to be incorrect and lean my engine out.

Shaun
27th February 2007, 14:18
Surely there is, and there is. However I don't frequent that board very much so figured I'd ask here first. And yeah the maps are not clearly labeled, whereas the PC ones are, for say, GSXR1000 with Yoshi Slip-on and K&N filter.

I only suppose I can try it and see what happens. The seller claims he had it running on a K2 thou with yoshi slip on and BNC filter and it worked fine. Only thing is, I hate for this info to be incorrect and lean my engine out.

So you have been sent a complete Yoshi ECU? or have you just been sent the Disc?

If you have the complete Yoshi ECU, go to Yoshi web site and confirm part number is definate for your bike.

And you have a man in CH CH who knows how to work with the yoshi EMS System

onearmedbandit
27th February 2007, 14:21
So you have been sent a complete Yoshi ECU? or have you just been sent the Disc?

If you have the complete Yoshi ECU, go to Yoshi web site and confirm part number is definate for your bike.

And you have a man in CH CH who knows how to work with the yoshi EMS System

Thanks Shaun. I've been sent the complete ecu with loom, I downloaded the software from Yoshi's site in America. I'll check the part number now. Apparently it came off an ex B Bernard bike (apparently!). Any chance of this mans details mate? Thank you.

Shaun
27th February 2007, 14:25
Thanks Shaun. I've been sent the complete ecu with loom, I downloaded the software from Yoshi's site in America. I'll check the part number now. Apparently it came off an ex B Bernard bike (apparently!). Any chance of this mans details mate? Thank you.

PM'd ya his number

imdying
27th February 2007, 15:14
This sounds like a fun way to spend my weekend :rofl: Cheer for the info Shaun.

2much
27th February 2007, 20:30
Make sure its an EMS and not just an ECU.

The Yoshi EMS is a full replacement computer whereas the power commander is just a piggyback unit, this means that it intercepts the signals from the various sensors and modifies them in order to trick the standard EMS. So I would suspect that the PC has more restrictions in its tunability than the Yoshi.

Jantar
27th February 2007, 20:55
I can't speak for the Gixxer, but with the Strom the Yoshi box is far superior. When the standard Suzuki ECU isn't mapped quite correctly (common on the Strom) Suzuki actually reccommend the Yoshi box to correct the mapping.

At that price you have got a great piece of kit at a really good price.

onearmedbandit
28th February 2007, 23:17
We fitted it tonight, hooked it up to a pc, and started fiddling. The software is amazing, allowing you to tune a lot of the factory settings, and allows for three seperate maps to be stored in the ems which together with a hub and rocker switch gives you three maps on the fly.

However tonight we were only interested in setting a base fuel and ignition map. From the maps available from Yoshimura we selected the one closest to my bike configuration. Instantly through the table you could see where it was riching and leaning off the mixture, especially around the 5-6000rpm mark and at 60% and higher throttle opening in the higher rev range. The map already on the ems was richening it up in a lot of places, so we saved it and ditched it.

Took it for a ride around the block and straight away noticed an improvement, the response in the mid-range a lot more aggressive. The fueling felt smooth still, but things felt a lot more lively. So the decision was made to take it out to the open road. We found a secluded straight section, and I wound it on from first gear. Of course the front lifted, so I regulated the throttle floating the front into the upper rev range and clicked second, immediately the front snapped up. Keeping the front floating again and winding on the gas I got it up close to red line when I grabbed third, once again the front lifted, not so much snapped this time but it still came up very quick. Fuck me was all I could say for a few minutes, I want to get out again in the day and test it, but it feels like a different bike now.

I still want to put it on a dyno and get it tuned in properly, but for a couple of monkeys and a computer it's quite a good improvement already. I'm sold.

98tls
28th February 2007, 23:29
Sounds like fun...........i have a yoshi fuel injection adjuster which is fun to play around with though alot more basic than what you have.......enjoy..........

Gremlin
1st March 2007, 00:39
The maps on powercommander are a guide anyway, for people that don't want to shell out on a custom map. To get the full benefits of a powercommander, it needs dyno time, as no 2 bikes are exactly the same...

sounds like you are having a lot of fun :devil2:

Back Fire
1st March 2007, 02:42
The maps on powercommander are a guide anyway, for people that don't want to shell out on a custom map. To get the full benefits of a powercommander, it needs dyno time, as no 2 bikes are exactly the same...

sounds like you are having a lot of fun :devil2:

power commanders still have their limits... and they don't come with a rocker switch! haha