PDA

View Full Version : Making a noise

What?
16th June 2003, 06:16
I recently sent a letter to the mayor of Tauranga voicing my opinion on a few issues surrounding roading and parking, although the council were not seeking submissions at the time. One point I made was the hassle it used to be for bike riders to pay tolls on the harbour bridge, and suggested the the new Route K toll road should be toll free for bikes. I also made mention of how bike-friendly Tauranga is with plentiful bike-only parking in the cbd, and that I felt they should be promoting the use of bikes to reduce congestion.

Last week, front page of the local rag, a large article about Route K and issues arouund tolling. The council have decided to let bikes (pushies ans motor) use the road toll free. The legislation permitting tolling this road does not specify exemptions for bikes**.

The message here is: If you've got something to say, say it. Somebody might be listening.

** Now for a laugh - I have read the act of parliament which allows the new Route K to be tolled. In it is a list of exemptions from the toll, such as the gov. general, buses, ambo's, fire engines and constables on duty. The key word is constables - any member of the police farce ranked higher than constable has to pay.:rockon:

Urban Terrorist
16th June 2003, 12:35
Thank you kindly. :)

I remember what a hassle it was finding change for the bridge before they removed the tolls. :argh:

Cheers, Justin:rockon:

eNZed Fred
16th June 2003, 20:26
I think all sworn Police are Constables. 

So for example, you have a Constable holding the rank of Sergeant, or whatever.

It's opposed to Police members unsworn, the telephone operators, property officers, arms officers etc etc.

Cheers.

What?
5th July 2003, 09:53
Originally posted by eNZed Fred
I think all sworn Police are Constables.

Yeah - you are probably right. It was just wishful thinking...:D

Anyway, I have had an e-mail from the Tauranga council transportation manager. It seems they have taken account of some of my comments, and in addition to no tolls for bikes (use the left hand lanes) they are also going to investigate putting in a few bike parks at the Mount. He also agrees that bikes make sense for commuting into town, and that it should be encouraged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And if all that is not enough, I was asked for my opinion on the practice of sidewalk parking as allowed in Melbourne. Having been there and seen it, it certainly makes sense in many areas.

Like I said at the top, don't grizzle at home about what isn't right - write to the people who make the decisions. You never know, they just might listen to a well reasoned argument (unless it's the LTSA, coz I don't think they employ anyone with an IQ high enough to read):p

Redstar
5th July 2003, 23:08
Well done.
the Mayor or coromandal district council or whoever admins the Tga council must be a biker?

What?
6th July 2003, 19:42
Thanks, sport.

Thames/Coromadel and Tauranga councils are related about as closely as Auckland and Wellington councils...:p