PDA

View Full Version : Riding on the beach?

mark247
1st March 2007, 09:50
Has anyone here ridden a motorbike on the beach before? My mate and I are considering doing the whole "World's Fastest Indian" thing down Papamoa beach sometime. All the way down to the Mount maybe. If we do do it we would be riding a 1982 GSX400 and a 1988 GB400. I have a feeling this could all turn to shit but, i guess if we ride on the right bit of sand ( not too wet, not too dry ) we should be ok. It is just an idea. Any feedback welcome, if you know its a bad idea then just tell us. As i said, its just a idea we had. We know that if we get sand in the chain it will root it and that salt does rust bikes, but we arent going to let that happen. So, yeah, anyone done something like this before?

montsta56
1st March 2007, 09:55
Please let me know before you attempt this so i can come an have a laugh:yes: I wonder if you'll make it to Omanu before being arrested???. I took my KTM for a short ride along pap beach an some crazy lady came out an tried to club me with a stick???:whocares:

Roj
1st March 2007, 10:01
Has anyone here ridden a motorbike on the beach before? My mate and I are considering doing the whole "World's Fastest Indian" thing down Papamoa beach sometime. All the way down to the Mount maybe. If we do do it we would be riding a 1982 GSX400 and a 1988 GB400. I have a feeling this could all turn to shit but, i guess if we ride on the right bit of sand ( not too wet, not too dry ) we should be ok. It is just an idea. Any feedback welcome, if you know its a bad idea then just tell us. As i said, its just a idea we had. We know that if we get sand in the chain it will root it and that salt does rust bikes, but we arent going to let that happen. So, yeah, anyone done something like this before?

You can always travel up north and use 90 mile beach, it is oficially a road, unless this has changed recently

I have riden this on my CB750, a nice cruise, but you need to clean the bikes afterwards and lube the chains as the sand gets everywhere:scooter:

mark247
1st March 2007, 10:15
Papamoa beach is pretty straight so i think it will be all good there. Do you find it hard to stay on the right dampness of sand? Im guessing the best time would also be when the tide is going out :P

I also plan to wash the bike down entirely after we finish, and also clean the chain up.

Mrs Busa Pete
1st March 2007, 10:15

Why dont you check the inline4 thread that could answer your question.

fleethaul
1st March 2007, 10:18
here is the result,

http://www.oamaru-pharmacy.com/oreti.html

can't believe how much traction that sand has

Jeff

Ixion
1st March 2007, 10:23
I think all beaches in NZ are classified as roads.

mark247
1st March 2007, 10:23
Why dont you check the inline4 thread that could answer your question.

Not too positive busapete? Im sure quite a few people fall off on the beach, but a lot of people fall off on the road as well. I think we will still give it a go.

Ixion
1st March 2007, 10:40
Used to be heaps of beach riding . In general, best is to ride on an outgoing tide, and stick to the "wet but not under water" bit of sand - just above the waves. That's usually the hardest.

Riding in the wave wash is fun , but theres the risk of dropping into a hole. Higher up the beach the sand tends to get too soft.

Holes are your biggest risk, they can be hard to see when full of water. And bear in mind that they come and go between tides. Be very cautious approaching sections where a stream meets the beach - watch the littoral. A stream draining onto a beach can cause a quicksand effect - VERY soft sand VERY suddenly. Nasty.

Do consider what you will do (as in escape route) if the incoming tide catches you before you get off the beach. Not fun if you're trapped against cliffs.

If you end up riding over rocks, remember, even when they look fine they can be VERY slippery.

You will stuff your chain, and washing all the salt off is easier to say than do. And sharp shells can cuy yout tyres badly.

But, none the less, it can be great fun

Go for it, you'll have a ball.

montsta56
1st March 2007, 12:07
are you guy's familiar with the beach he's refering to it's very heavily poulated an is nearly alway's full of people, May as well do it at mission Bay:yes:

MSTRS
1st March 2007, 12:26
I think all beaches in NZ are classified as roads.

As is anywhere that you can get with a vehicle (without it being reached via a locked (gate)

surfer
1st March 2007, 12:34
Take a towel and some togs for a swim. Enjoy sounds like a great adventure.

merv
1st March 2007, 13:07
All you have to watch is some stinking Councils have made Bylaws that prohibit vehicles on certain beaches. Check that Papamoa to the Mt isn't one of these as they may get you arrested. In our area Paraparaumu to Waikanae is like that, you've got to go further North to be legal on the beach.

Ixion
1st March 2007, 13:22
Yep. that's why we can't ride on Mission Bay beach. Bastidges. And some of them have blanket bans covering every beach in their jurisdiction.

mazz1972
1st March 2007, 14:20
Beaches are roads and therefore road rules apply, but there are also local by-laws that apply as well, such as vehicles may be banned altogether.

I'd be checking first whether you can legally ride there, and at what speed.

You only need to piss off one local and they will all be up in arms....

montsta56
1st March 2007, 15:16
Yeah theres sign's all along the beach saying no Bikes.......Wankers'

What?
2nd March 2007, 05:41
Foot paths are also legally "roads" - that doesn't mean you are allowed to ride/drive on them (let's not get into the pushbike argument...)
There's a good reason why motor vehicles are banned from Papamoa/Mount beach. Do you think you can work out what that reason might be, Monsta? And why the rule had to be made??
That said, you can take motor vehicles on the beach between Maketu and Whakatane - the strech between Otamarakau and Matata is commonly driven on.

mark247
2nd March 2007, 07:28
We were thinking riding down Matata way would be a good idea. Its just i have walked down Papamoa beach quite a bit and i have seen heaps of guys riding around on 4 wheelers and stuff, like those VW buggy things etc. And by the looks of it nobody really cares, but then again somebody will surely find a reason to complain. The area we were thinking we would mainly ride it up Papamoa beach a bit where there are no houses. But where i saw the VW buggy things was done near the surf club and stuff at Papamoa.