PDA

View Full Version : RMX or KDX?

Coyote
14th August 2004, 17:12
I'm looking for my first road bike. I wanted a bike that could go on the dirt, continue supermotard racing, and was road legal. The 2 bikes that seem like my best options are the RMX 250 and the KDX 200-220. Now I need to know which is the best of the 2. I like the RMX as it has the more cc's but the KDX also has a pillion seat. These are just some extras I dont really care about but are probeley going to be my diciding factors unless I can find out any more info on both bikes. If you have any advice on both bikes or know of any other bikes worth considering, post it down.

Cheers

F5 Dave
14th August 2004, 17:26
Both bikes respond well to rejetting. Stock they blubber & run pretty crappy. Check out the Justkdx website.

The RMXs are pretty tall & from the limited riding on one I’d go for the KDX every time if you want to do some decent bushriding (Guess I’m biased being an ex KDX owner). More open terrain the RMX has the legs on the KDX in both suspension & motor.

Both bikes are also competition 2 strokes, therefore I would never consider riding one on the road. They just won't do the miles without constant engine rebuilding. New generation 4 strokes (YZ250F etc) are just as bad, it's just you don't get that sort of power without the maintenance.

What sort of road riding do you really want to do is the first question.

Coyote
15th August 2004, 09:15
All I want to do on the road is go to and from school, and maybe to a mates house in the weekend. I not really going to far abroad untill I get my full licence.

F5 Dave
16th August 2004, 09:44
Yeah I remember riding my XR like that. Still surprises me I never came off the thing. Knobblies on wet roads, pitiful brakes, bugger-all lights -all combined with youthful enthusiasm (how fast will it go?). Mostly the problem is the tyres.

My first small roadbike was a revelation. Oh yeah & my first road helmet.

Whatever you do, remember the most likely time you are going to have an off, probably a low speed topple, is the first year or so riding. Best to invest in some decent gear first. It can be found cheap 2nd hand. Decent gloves & boots. I used to use 2 pairs of jeans before I could afford leathers. MX kneepads would be a good idea.

After brake fluid had leaked on the front wheel I remember picking up my RD a few meters from home, bloodied knees due to thin school uniform. That point was nearly the end of biking for me. Gladly I persisted & tried to use my head after that. These days I prefer to learn from other people’s mistakes where I can.

clint640
16th August 2004, 10:05
I'd go for the KDX, for regular street riding the motor will be more reliable than the motocross derived RMX, and the KDX will be cheaper to buy & maintain. Ride 'em both if you can though, personal preference is king. You might decide you can live with rebuilding the motor on the RMX every six months cos you can do wheelies all the way to school on it :Punk:

Cheers
Clint

PS another thing to consider might be getting a 150 road bike as well as a dirt bike, they're cheap, fun, & have their own racing class.

F5 Dave
16th August 2004, 10:29
Yeah I did think along the 150 route, but 2 bikes?

From what I remember school doesn’t pay that well. I struggled together my $700 for the XR with an after school job. In hindsight concentrating on the schoolwork would have been a better longterm plan.

Coyote
17th August 2004, 18:25
Thanks for the info guys. I guess the KDX is the smart choice, but I've never been that smart so I might end up with the RMX anyway. As for the 150's, how good are they. I heard the FXR is a great bike, but its a 4 stroke and It'll probeley be a bit too tame for me as I've only recently out-grown a CRF150 (A geat bike I must add). As for gear, I'm already got some gear as I race in supermotard. I'll probeley just buy a new helmet and some bigger boots.

SNOman
30th August 2004, 16:08
I'm looking for my first road bike. I wanted a bike that could go on the dirt, continue supermotard racing, and was road legal. The 2 bikes that seem like my best options are the RMX 250 and the KDX 200-220. Now I need to know which is the best of the 2. I like the RMX as it has the more cc's but the KDX also has a pillion seat. These are just some extras I dont really care about but are probeley going to be my diciding factors unless I can find out any more info on both bikes. If you have any advice on both bikes or know of any other bikes worth considering, post it down.

Cheers

I'd have thought that you'd be much better off with something like an XR. No problem with reasonable distances on the road. Bullet proof in the woods. Low maintenace, air cooled. Just change the oil lots and check the valve clearances. Not as quick as the two strokes but will handle the road way better.

Stevo
17th September 2004, 18:17
As you will undoubtedly know already from your racing experience, EVERY vehicle costs money. ie. If ya don't do the maintenance cost thing you end up with more expensive repair costs.

As F5 Dave points out extra performance comes at extra cost (albeit eventually sometimes). Have you looked at the bigger CRFs etc?

2_SL0
6th October 2004, 11:20
Speaking from experience, the pick of the bunch for what you want to use it for is the KDX 220. For road use I would stick with the standard muffler system, as it delievers a smoother powerband and better low end power. Which would work better for on road use. Weak points are really rear swingarms brgs, (just keep an eye on them.) Good bike and if you reach a point where you want to see what it can really do, stick a FMF desert pipe on it.

Just a note none of these bikes in my eyes are a good road bike, the maintance side is still high, and they are a performance orientated dirt bike. Best suited to dodgying trees and scrub and screaming down a firebrake. (snff sniff, I miss me Kwaka)

Drunken Monkey
6th October 2004, 12:05
Strangley enough those particular models are the only trailies I have ridden. I agree, the RMX is a bit taller. The KDX motor seemed less peaky to me, ie more like a four-stroke, than the RMX. The RMX felt a bit better on the bigger jumps.
I'd probably pick the KDX as well.

NordieBoy
6th October 2004, 18:31
The KDX motor seemed less peaky to me, ie more like a four-stroke, than the RMX.
I'd probably pick the KDX as well.

KDX?
Like a four-stroke?

What kind of mad beast four-strokes have you ridden that you make that comparison?

:wacko:

laRIKin
6th October 2004, 19:24
I would also go for the KDX over A RMX.
More people seem to have less problems with the KDX, just use go 2 stroke oil.
To save the power valves gumming up.
The RMX seems to have a bit more power but is not that much faster than KDX.
The KDX handles better IMO.
With A KDX I would put a better pipe on it and then do the suspension ,
and then just ride the wheels of the thing.
There is a web site for KDX owners, so they will help you out.
I will try and find ti for you, if you want.

Kickaha
6th October 2004, 20:53
KDX?
Like a four-stroke?

What kind of mad beast four-strokes have you ridden that you make that comparison?

:wacko:

KDX is pretty tame as far as two strokes go,with a pretty flat power curve,you can mod the original chamber to get more power but they're still very rideable.

2_SL0
6th October 2004, 22:44
KDX is pretty tame as far as two strokes go,with a pretty flat power curve,you can mod the original chamber to get more power but they're still very rideable.

Yep I agree the 220 has a nice power curve that would be not bad on the road. Especially in standard form. It does deliver reasonable power down low. But if you slap on a after market muffler etc it will start performing like all the other 2 stroke dirt bikes. (stropey)
The best site I know of is http://www.dirtrider.net/justkdx/

hope that helps.

NordieBoy
7th October 2004, 07:22
Yep I agree the 220 has a nice power curve that would be not bad on the road. Especially in standard form. It does deliver reasonable power down low. But if you slap on a after market muffler etc it will start performing like all the other 2 stroke dirt bikes. (stropey)
The best site I know of is http://www.dirtrider.net/justkdx/

hope that helps.

Ahhh.

My brothers 2004 KDX 200 he uses for cross country has a Pro Circuit Pipe and FMF Shorty muffler.
I am used to 4 strokes and don't really like riding bikes with light-switch type power delivery.
Give me my '79 XR250 anyday, has enough power for anyone :headbang:
The only thing light-switch like on it is the light-switch :)