PDA

View Full Version : Starter doesn't work - battery dead?

nigel
1st March 2007, 21:07
Hi guys,

I just got my bike the other day, full WoF and mechanical check only just done. But ever since I've had it, if I try and start it the starter just makes a ticking noise, and the lights all dim.

I tried charging the battery yesterday, the charger said it was done after only an hour or so, and I started it then and it worked ok for the riding I did. But today again, it would not start. I started it off the charger, but it just stalled the moment I got the clutch fully out. Right now, turning on the indicators makes the (not very bright) back light actually dim.

So I'm wondering. Does this sound to any of you more experienced people like it's a straight battery problem? Or could it be that something else (alternator?) is gone? And is the battery/alternator normally tested as part of a WoF or mechanical check?

Drum
1st March 2007, 21:16
This may be of some help.........

http://www.whybike.com/motorcycle13.htm

Edit: I don't think your battery would be fully charged in an hour. Try 12 hours and see what happens.

Motu
1st March 2007, 21:17
No,not part of a WoF test....but the lights have to work,so that brings it into it anyway.Either the battery is totaly shot and not holding a charge,or the altenator is not charging.....or both,as the battery is now stuffing from being drained too much.

shafty
1st March 2007, 21:22
I reckon Drum's right;

Disconnect it, whip the caps off and trickle charge it overnight

You'll be sweet so long as battery is not totally rooted

Good luck

nigel
1st March 2007, 21:48
Thanks guys. I took the battery out and it's now charging again. I'll leave it overnight and see how it goes :).

I have a sneaking feeling that something more than just a flat battery is going on here, but I guess we won't know until after this charging...

Ixion
1st March 2007, 22:01
Once battery is charged, go for a long ride with lights on. When you get back let the bike cool down for an hour. Then try starting it. If it doesn't start easily your alternator or charging circuit is stuffed . If it does, let the bike sit overnight, try starting the next morning. If it doesn't start easily, the battery is stuffed. If it does start OK, then it's all good, just needed a good charge.

That's pretty rough and ready but will usually give an indication

nigel
1st March 2007, 22:52
Damnit, the charged light has come on again. I'll just leave it charging overnight anyway though.

FROSTY
1st March 2007, 23:15
dont panic dude--9 times outa 10 the battery is stuffed--get a new one youll be right as rain

Nasty
2nd March 2007, 05:47
If you can't figure it out .. take it to the bike shop .. for mine it was that the regulator and alternator were not working right ... this is not often the cause on newer bikes (mines an 83) .. but they were great at narrowing down the cause quickly .. and without worry.

nigel
2nd March 2007, 06:57
I will do :). Battery's still on the charger now, will put it back in tonight and see how it goes. Gotta get a jacket today :).

Of course, if the battery dies, it'll be hard to take to the bike shop, right? :p I presume they could come and pick it up? I figure they'd be more experienced in riding a bike that had a (near) dud battery.

Drum
2nd March 2007, 07:10
TSS motorcycles in the Hutt do (free) bike pickups. Not sure about any of the other shops.

Nasty
2nd March 2007, 08:14
TSS motorcycles in the Hutt do bike pickups. Not sure about any of the other shops.

Motomart do pick ups small charge for it :)

slimjim
2nd March 2007, 13:29
yup and another quick check is if your starter motor is easy to get at, fit a jumper lead from power cable nut on starter and other part of jumper lead to postive nut on battery, then start bike, if quick start, battery okay, however may have something drawing power off elsewhere if starting still playing around via just the battery, but most battery's have a couple of years , yup know some that are still going strong years and years, but nowdays its cheaper to throw a new one in,

nigel
2nd March 2007, 16:30
Nah, the starter motor is a bitch to get at unfortunately :(. But never mind. I'm going to get the model number of the battery and tell the guys at Motorad, since I went in there to get a jacket and boots today and they said if I get them that, they can order it for me.

Some other people suggested trying a multimeter over the battery terminals, which I would do if I had one. I went to Dick Smiths today but amazingly they didn't have one 0_o

mitchilin
3rd March 2007, 21:59
Borrow a multimeter amd go across the battery.It should read about 11v until it starts and once running should read about 13 to 14v.Should be easy enough to bump start anyway.

nigel
3rd March 2007, 22:21
I gave it a start today, and it seems to work fine. I also got hold of a multimeter and tested the battery. When idling, the voltage is about 12.7V, and only after revving past 2-3KRpms does it jump up to 13.6 or so. So maybe it was simply a flat battery...

In any event, I'll probably be getting a replacement any way, which can just be spare. Hopefully there won't be any more problems. Thanks for helping, everyone! :)

Arthur Wright
5th March 2007, 07:39
Hey folks, PLEASE read the posts by myself and preacher with regards exploding batteries.

My problem started with the same symptoms. Replaced the first battery that wouldn't hold a charge and all seemed fine. Then next 60km trip the bike wouldn't start. Another 60km back after push-starting the 200kg beast and I stopped to investigate a whistling / siren-like sound. The battery had blown out like a balloon. Limped home. Now with a fully charged battery I can't crank the engine, the Oil indicator only just glows. I seem to be getting only 2.5V DC at the connections.

Woe is me who just plopped in a new battery. Should have checked then to see why it had died and what had caused it.

Anyhow, hope you guys have better luck. Anyone know where I can find a wiring diagram for the VF750F ?

Henk
5th March 2007, 21:55
Should read 11.7 to 12.5 not running and ignition off and 13.8 to 14.4 with engine running. Looks like your charging system is OK