PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Strips

SPORK
14th August 2004, 19:17
Hello!

Stupid me often sees the term 'chicken strips' on the board, and have no idea what they are. I presume they are something on the tyres or something, and can be used to see what way you turn alot (wearing down?)

Well, thanks for helping a lost newbie out! :yes: :stupid:

Two Smoker
14th August 2004, 19:20
Yep chicken strips are the tiny strip (or sometimes large strip) or rubber that hasnt touched the road, it is a definate line on the tyre and shows how far you lean the bike over...... the faster the rider the smaller the chickens strip..... untill you get really fast then you have no chicken strips.... im sure someone has a photo.....

bluninja
14th August 2004, 19:22
Chicken strips are those areas at the edge of the tyre that don't wear because the bike isn't leaned right to the edge of the tyre. The term chicken strips implies that the person riding the bike with them is just too chicken to lean the bike over fully.

HTH

dangerous
14th August 2004, 19:34
Yep chicken strips are the tiny strip (or sometimes large strip) or rubber that hasnt touched the road, it is a definate line on the tyre and shows how far you lean the bike over...... the faster the rider the smaller the chickens strip..... untill you get really fast then you have no chicken strips.... im sure someone has a photo.....

frount= small chicken strip and rear= no chicken strip
So were do I rate on the chicken strip o meter?

Two Smoker
14th August 2004, 19:38
So do these chicken stripes rate? frount= small chicken strip and rear= no chicken strip
Thats a good set of photos to show the difference...... might have to roll of the edge a bit to get rid of those front ones Dangerous lol looks well used that rear tyre..... ive got the same problem with my front.... Its because of the profile and my pegs for my bike.....

SPORK
14th August 2004, 19:39
Ahhhh, thanks all! Gee, nice quick replies!
Good to know that if I need a question answered, it will be :banana:

Now a lot more posts make sense :2thumbs:

FROSTY
14th August 2004, 19:58
but then again certain amoungst us stuff that whole theory by haveing 2 inch wide chicken strips and still riding rings around the rest of us :moon:

dangerous
14th August 2004, 20:03
but then again certain amoungst us stuff that whole theory by haveing 2 inch wide chicken strips and still riding rings around the rest of us :moon:
Bring em on then buddy :cool2:

SPORK
14th August 2004, 20:19
So how much is a good amount to lean on like, a bend that has say a 140 degree angle? And does putting your knee out make you turn much sharper/better?

Two Smoker
14th August 2004, 20:25
So how much is a good amount to lean on like, a bend that has say a 140 degree angle? And does putting your knee out make you turn much sharper/better?
putting you knee out probably wont do much, getting off the bike and shifting your weight to the inside of the corner will change the centre of gravity, thus meaning you can carry more corner speed.....

BUT, for the initial purposes of learning and riding, just work on counter steering, i didnt get my knee down until i had been riding for 4 months and some people didnt get there knee down for years...... and then there are others that havnt at all..... but there are some bloody fast riders out there (SpankMe and Cycosis) that dont move on the bike at all....

Kwaka-Kid
14th August 2004, 21:00
Just to give you a visual of how to get rid of Chicken strips... Look at the picture of Ruben, That man has no chick strips...
now, take a look at the picture of the yellow beast... it has chicken strips 3 inchs wide each way as thats as far as i lean.

Also note the lazy left foot grinding on the hairpin of taupo there... That explains why im missing half my boot! not to mention 4 toes - but the point is the boots cost money! toes grow back.

Sux when you have to change up a geat mid corner eh :( - And NO i wont go to GPshift.

wkid_one
14th August 2004, 21:08
That is a pic of Ruebin mid low side - hardly a good example of how to get rid of your chicken strips

FROSTY
14th August 2004, 21:19
andand then there are others that havnt at all..... but there are some bloody fast riders out there (SpankMe and Cycosis) that dont move on the bike at all....
i reckon u could glue spanks ass to the seat and he wouldnt notice
and he would still be bloody fast

wkid_one
14th August 2004, 21:31
i reckon u could glue spanks ass to the seat and he wouldnt notice
and he would still be bloody fast But it would be FUCKEN FUNNY when he came to a stop!

Chicken strips are a moot point. I had none on the VTR or R1 rear - always had them on the front to some degree. But these bikes always had nice big small curve tyres on them (180-190's) - which are pretty easy to get to the side off.

Try this on for size - take a ten speed and try to get to the edge of its tyres - you can't because it is too steeply angled. Generally the narrower the tyre - the harder it is for you to reach the edge. Have a look at bikes with 190mm tyres...they are nice and flat and you don't need to lean far to be in contact with the edge of the tyre - having no chicken strips doesn't mean you are quick.

SPORK
14th August 2004, 22:14
Try this on for size - take a ten speed and try to get to the edge of its tyres - you can't because it is too steeply angled. Generally the narrower the tyre - the harder it is for you to reach the edge. Have a look at bikes with 190mm tyres...they are nice and flat and you don't need to lean far to be in contact with the edge of the tyre - having no chicken strips doesn't mean you are quick.

Yeah, I get ya. Makes sense though. I was riding my bicycle the other day, and I noticed that even when doing really sharp corners, you couldnt lean much, or ever, because of the CoG being high, and the thin-ass tyres.
:doobey:

Mongoose
14th August 2004, 22:16
Auseeis not being as PC as us kiwi sorts refer to the chicken strips along the lines of "Poofter Pimples' or summit close enough to that

Kwaka-Kid
15th August 2004, 02:01
wkid its not a lowside if he doesnt crash! he revived that one.

Anyways s'all good, and my tyres run out both ends evenly, the 3 inch chicken strips on the racebike are 3 inches on front and 3 inches on rear, no different despite size difference.

Two Smoker
15th August 2004, 13:36
Hey KK have you srill got that race tyre you had a puke last time???? take a photo of it to show everyone how too finish of a tyre PROPERLY...... lol

SPORK
15th August 2004, 14:03
wkid its not a lowside if he doesnt crash! he revived that one.

Anyways s'all good, and my tyres run out both ends evenly, the 3 inch chicken strips on the racebike are 3 inches on front and 3 inches on rear, no different despite size difference.
What?! The pic of the bike on it's side? And he revived it?!?!

Holy

Crap

Kwaka-Kid
15th August 2004, 16:32
correct.

That dudes the man!

wkid_one
15th August 2004, 16:36
I searched the MotoGP site - I am sure he binned that one. Front wheel is already tucking in and the bar end is on the ground.

k14
15th August 2004, 17:10
Nah, he definately did crash that one. It would be impossible to catch it back. Look on the superbike site wkid, that was in a race last year.

aff-man
15th August 2004, 17:57
Well i had no chicken strips on the rear of the 250 and well i did get to the edge of the front. Which resulted in a few scarey moments and well a little screw-up. But as TS said moving around on the bike does make it dip into a corner quicker etc.

p.s. Working on the 400's strips at the moment but won't do anything silly till i get a feel for the tyres.

NC
15th August 2004, 18:14
:ride: Yay, I have no Chicken stripes!

Posh Tourer :P
15th August 2004, 19:50
welcome NC30....

Watch out for Kwaka-kid, he's often looking for NC30 bits... I'd lock it up if I were you...:P :D

riffer
15th August 2004, 19:51
:ride: Yay, I have no Chicken stripes!
Hmmm. Chicken stripes. They were on special at Pak 'N Save this weekend. Taste like bacon but its made of chicken.

oh by the way, which one of the 8 Brittens is yours NC30_chick?

wkid_one
15th August 2004, 19:55
oh by the way, which one of the 8 Brittens is yours NC30_chick?
It also says fav bike - you don't necessarily have to own it.

riffer
15th August 2004, 20:10
It also says fav bike - you don't necessarily have to own it.
Wkid - you take all the fun out of trolling :(

Storm
15th August 2004, 22:08
Still, wouldnt it be nice to be a factory guy and be able to bin in and have someone else pay to fix it and a team of top level guys to fix it. Just turn up the next day and ride your new one - ahh dreams are free :banana:

Kwaka-Kid
15th August 2004, 23:08
hey NC_30 chick! WICKED another NC30 owner!.. Can i have yours? Mines running a bit rough... :(

Yaay so overjoyed! PM sent! :D

16th August 2004, 07:45
Wkid - you take all the fun out of trolling :(

At least let them get in a few posts before you start trolling.... we're trying to encourge people to *stay* here.....:D :blah:

greenhorn
16th August 2004, 08:02
Glad i read this thread.

I had allways thought chicken strips were those marks on your undies... :moon:

DEATH_INC.
16th August 2004, 20:36
Glad i read this thread.

:killingme :killingme :laugh: :laugh:

NC
16th August 2004, 20:55
:shit: Lemme guess? Someone was reading out loud in the library today?
And you had to vent your frustrations somewhere?

:p Sheesh take a chill pill, sorry for liking other bikes that I don't own :(

riffer
16th August 2004, 21:16
:shit: Lemme guess? Someone was reading out loud in the library today?
And you had to vent your frustrations somewhere?

:p Sheesh take a chill pill, sorry for liking other bikes that I don't own :(
Hey not a bad comeback NC30_chick!

you'll fit in here just fine, by the sounds of it!

I'd just forgotten that you can list your favourite bike there - no one does it.

Nice bikes for favourites though. Especially that R7. ALMOST achievable to aspire to own one. Yamaha's 21st Century answer to their own OWO1.

As for the Britten, nice but nah. Who wants a bike that wheelies off the throttle at 240km/hr. That thing would be such a bitch on the Wellington motorway....

Welcome to the madhouse. Don't say I didn't warn you... :msn-wink:

NC
16th August 2004, 21:40
Hey not a bad comeback NC30_chick!

you'll fit in here just fine, by the sounds of it!

I'd just forgotten that you can list your favourite bike there - no one does it.

Nice bikes for favourites though. Especially that R7. ALMOST achievable to aspire to own one. Yamaha's 21st Century answer to their own OWO1.

As for the Britten, nice but nah. Who wants a bike that wheelies off the throttle at 240km/hr. That thing would be such a bitch on the Wellington motorway....

Welcome to the madhouse. Don't say I didn't warn you... :msn-wink:

Thanks for the hazin.. :D

SPORK
16th August 2004, 22:16
Glad i read this thread.

Ahhh, so great! If so, then the 2" chicken strips mentioned up before would be quite disturbing :banana:

NC
9th October 2004, 19:48
MMM can I have BBQ sauce with mine? :2guns:

MrMelon
9th October 2004, 21:44
mmmmm chicken strips http://www.allemoticons.com/Cartoon/homer.gif

Teflon
10th October 2004, 00:54
If you worry about chicken strips just buy a under size tyre with a flat profile.

But it is quite sad seeing guys with with the lastest litre bikes, full leathers and a square looking tyre.

Motu
10th October 2004, 20:57
But it is quite sad seeing guys with with the lastest litre bikes, full leathers and a square looking tyre.

I'd kinda like to be in that situation....is a guy riding an 18yr bike who can't afford leathers with square tyres sad? don't answer that....ok?

11th October 2004, 16:38
who can't afford leathers with square tyres

Didnt know leathers came with tyres on them...

You should go for some normal leathers, they'd probably be cheaper....

Motoracer
11th October 2004, 16:51
Fuken hell, I still get amazed every time I look at that pic of xaus.

aff-man
11th October 2004, 18:31
If you worry about chicken strips just buy a under size tyre with a flat profile.

yip a guy at tech had a 2000 rsv mille with touring tyres on , hell my 250 (at the time) had better tyres with a way better profile. If you gonna spend $20k odd you might as well get decent tyres aye :killingme :killingme