PDA

View Full Version : new to the forum...sharing my bike ideas.

makenzie71
16th June 2003, 12:46
Hello...I'm hoping this forum will be better than the lst forums I've tried. Anyway, I just bought an 83 Maxim 400. Pretty nifty bike despite it's size, but I love smaller bikes. I would lave to get either a YSR50 or an Aprillia RS(?)50...dream bikes...lol.

Anyways, here's my plans for this bike though...it's going to be a toy until I totally take care of my debt, then I'll either tinker with it more or get something more along the lines of what I want.
but anyways...here goes.

Braking sux on this bike...the rear brakes are worn and work crappily. I just got the fronts working again so I guess it's acceptible but only slightly. I also don't like the width of the rims and tires. I'm not a speed-demon, I love the twisty turny streets. I plan to fix this using an R6 (or an FZR) doner bike. With this bike I get the forks, front wheel, rear swing arm, rear wheel, 400 mile battleaxes, toasted engine (some bikes do not need turbochargers), and various other little goodies. I want to adapt the swing arm, the forks, wheels, and the entire braking system to my Maxim. On such a light bike I think that these goodies would really kick ass. For the moment I'm going to rework the exhaust on this bike (mandrel merged duals) and the carbs/intake system and call it good. The next spare check I have lying around I'm going to either find a Ninja250 engine (I just like the sound they make at 14000rpm, lol) or an air cooled (might go water cooled but dunno) 650-750 engine. I'm thinking like a hawk GT or so...something with 6 gears and and still be a sub-litre bike.

I guess the biggest reason, before someone says "Why?", that I'm doing this is that I can't find a single modded Maxim 400. Just think it'll be cool.

Anyways, I'm just looking to share my plans and get some opinions or suggestions. Tahnks for reading.

This is the coolest emoticon I've ever seen...:angry2:

bluninja
16th June 2003, 17:12
Hey KK I think I've found someone that thinks that any spares they have lying around will fix or improve their bike; regardless of what the part oroginally came from:p

Makenzie, welcome. As for whether this forum is better than others you've been to....well I think 'Givers gain' is probably a good maxim (but not a Maxim 400). The more people give to the forum the more they get out of it.

My opinion; get an SV650, put Ohlins front and rear, bore the engine out to 800, fit stage 2 cams, full race system and go for a gentle blat down some twisty mountain roads. If you like ickle bikes then get an RS125 frame, fit a CR80 engine and go bucket racing.

TTFN

makenzie71
16th June 2003, 17:38
lmao...it's not that I think any part will get me where I want to go...I just live a very boring life and I have all these parts and nothing to do with them but try to make something...if I'm going to put something together I might as well put in the effort to make it both original and an attempt to be bad-ass...lol.

If you're going to try to make something then make worth having made...umm...yeah.

wari
16th June 2003, 18:26
Welcome to the forum Mak ... hope you enjoy yourself.
As far as doing these mods are concerned , go for it mate ... doing is learning ...

makenzie71
16th June 2003, 19:30
Thanks Wari...that's how I try to look at it.

DeanOh
17th June 2003, 11:19
Originally posted by bluninja
My opinion; get an SV650, put Ohlins front and rear, bore the engine out to 800, fit stage 2 cams, full race system and go for a gentle blat down some twisty mountain roads.

If your like me and your mechanical skills go as far as starting the bike up, then buying a bigger bike is a far easier option, SV650 > SV1000.....

bluninja
17th June 2003, 14:31
DeanOh, I modded my SV650 on Saturday by removing 2 wires:D Stops the ignition retard in 2nd and 3rd gears; too wet on Sunday to notice any difference. Took the forks off on Monday before going to work and posted them off to get the springs and emulator fitted (not springing for ohlins at the front though:o). Don't quite follow your logic SV650 --> SV1K, but then I can just hop on my RSVR:p

If I keep the bike at 650cc and tune it I can race in F3.....even without tuning it I can run in F3, but then Mitch would leave me behind and I can't have that.

TTFN

DeanOh
17th June 2003, 15:50
Basically im saying, inept mofos like me that dont know a retard from a front fork. I upgrade by buying a new bike. I can mod a computer, but not a bike.
And you have proved my point. moved 2 wires to help some retard ?
LOl dude, if you have a cure for retardness, post it on here, I'll send it down to the the local cop shop, they need a cure.:eek:

bluninja
17th June 2003, 16:05
Hey, there's always the possibility of paying someone who knows to upgrade the bike....so do you upgrade to a new bike when the tyres need changing? LMAO

TTFN

Gixxer
17th June 2003, 17:09
good onya makenzie71.

always wanted to drop a zxr400 engine on my old zxr250, bore it out, change the suspension, brakes and for no better reason then it is there to be done.

may be after I have fixed up the old holden I have at home first. 

DeanOh
17th June 2003, 17:29
Originally posted by bluninja
Hey, there's always the possibility of paying someone who knows to upgrade the bike....so do you upgrade to a new bike when the tyres need changing? LMAO

OMG...you have to change the tyres ?:)

Coldkiwi
17th June 2003, 18:11
deanOh... you're not a relation/good mate of KK perchance are you???

speaking of mods... saw the old video by FYC of 'good thing' in the w/e... a whole bunch of guys with scooters (most of them modified vespas) crusing around!... thats the first time I've seen a chopper scooter!! looked kinda like a Street Magic with normal length forks! very funny to see :)

bikerboy
17th June 2003, 18:32
I'm with deanoh. If I want more power, better suspension/brakes, etc. I'd just buy a newer or the next model up (bike); ie sv650 to sv1000. This usually gets the end result , is much easier for the mechanically challenged and retains resale value as most people are suspicious of modified bikes.:D

I do realize that to some people, like Simon and many others, half the fun of biking is tinkering and modifying.:cool: KK on the other hand delights in tempting fate, as lack of proper maintenance is not the same thing as modifying.

:Oops: