PDA

View Full Version : V Strom 1000 screens

logicnz
3rd March 2007, 15:58
Hi all

I took one of these for a spin today with my misses on the back. We basically got the sh1t blown out of us and was not a happy chappy.

I am 6'2" and was blown all over the place, my wife hard a stiff neck after 10 mins. (no jokes we were riding)

Is this just a screen problem? can you get screens to fit someone my size?

I must admit i like the bike a lot but both need a bit more protection if i am gonna get one.

If anyone knows, you guys will

Cheers

Andy

Jantar
3rd March 2007, 16:36
Which model Strom were you riding? The more recent ones (K4 onwards) all have adjustable screens.

A large part of the buffetting actually comes from the mirrors rather than the screen, and if you are tall then the disturbed air from the mirrors interfers with the disturbed air from the screen and its like someone belting the side of your helmet. There are a number of solutions that do improve the situation.

The simplest one is to simply move the screen to its lowest position. This gives you cleaner air, but the less protection. Some riders go so far as to cut the screen down to really give them a sports bike look and smooth air.

Other options are:

Fit a Madstad screen bracket. This is the option I took, and you then have a fully adjustable screen both in height and angle. I now have nice smooth air, but still some wind noise.

Replace the screen with a larger aftermarket one.

Remove the screen completely.

Have a look at http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11 for more information

rustys
3rd March 2007, 18:45
logicnz, for a good aftermarket screen try, ceebaileys.com

logicnz
3rd March 2007, 22:13
i took out a 07 model with the screen on its lowest setting,

I think be bike is the one for me if i can bet the wind problem sorted out

thanks for your help chaps

Andy

Jantar
3rd March 2007, 22:38
With any adventure bike, this big issue is that the rider is so far away from the screen that the air has the opportunity to get realy turbulent. As I said, with the madstad bracket, mine is now acceptable, but not perfect. I recently had a ride on a BMW 1200GS, and that was <b>BAD</b>.

There are many options, but until you try a number of them ,no-one can tell you which will be best for you. The Strom is the most versatile bike I have ever owned. It can keep up with most sports/tourers on the road, and isn't disgraced by pure dirt bikes on the gravel. I will say though that it isn't a trail bike. if you are planning on any serious off road work then get a DR650, a TransAlp, or a BMW Dakar.

Have a read of http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=43887 for an idea of how 5 different bikes performed.

thehollowmen
4th March 2007, 00:15
The buffeting is caused by the mount design.

I cut a few washers out of leather and put them so the frount lip of the screen is about 1 cm further out, on the lowest setting and it works fine for me (I'm about 6'2) and my wife (6')

I have a feeling it is caused by that concave lip there.

logicnz
4th March 2007, 12:13
Thanks Chaps

I been looking on the net and the Vstroms are huge in the USA. These guys have all said the screens are a big problem. They told me there is a SCREEN STROM screen you can get, designed to do the job perfectly. Any one heard of this?

they say its cuts the wind down that much you could wear a open face helmet.........

I just think ist a giid idea to sort this out before i buy the bike.

Andy

Jantar
4th March 2007, 12:27
I have heard of such a screen, but not sure of its name. The down side is that it is a large touring screen and presents such a hucg air resistance that the Strom loses its sportiness. Its also not suitable for adventure riding, and the Strom is an adventure bike.

Most adventure bikes have a similar issue, including TransAlps, BMWs etc. The Triumph Tiger is the exception, and it comes with a sportier screen.

timg
4th March 2007, 15:22
Most adventure bikes have a similar issue, including TransAlps, BMWs etc. The Triumph Tiger is the exception, and it comes with a sportier screen.

Yes a common problem with adventure bikes/owners. It seems that getting things right is a very personal thing, rider height, riding position, helmet type etc all play a part. At present I'm going thru the same dilemma with my new Transalp. The standard screen is fine when I'm on my own, however when 2 up I get severe side to side helmet buffeting if Debbie is doing anything except tucking in right behind me. Staring at the back of my helmet on a trip is not a whole lotta fun! It's interesting that the Tiger's screen is more vertical than most (as is the new Honda Varadero 1000) as the common wisdom seems to be that tipping the screen back towards the rider (bringing the rider forward in the air pocket) is one way to improve things, perhaps we should be considering trying the opposite. At present I've got various coroflute screen extentions duct taped to my TA trying to figure out the best compromise. So far taller with a spoiler similar to a MRA vario screen seems to be the best bet, but is noisier - not a mojor problem as I use ear plugs for anything other than a quick trip to the shops. I must try a more upright style as well. Apparently there's a place in NZ that makes screens to order out of aviation perspex and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I must say as a recent convert to an 'adventure' bike I'm really enjoying this style of bike. (Been riding 250/185/125 tidler trailies for commuting & local fishin more recently). They're all are good bikes, just a matter of sorting out what suits you. As Jantar suggests, the Tiger came out as the best bike of those on the SI Passes tour for that type of trip.

Cheers,
Tim.

Laava
4th March 2007, 15:45
The screen and buffeting is the downside of the Stroms but with a Madstad bracket[$90approx] and aGivi screen [$149] it is pretty much sorted plus you have the short std one for those mainly offroad/gravel road trips. I, of course am biased and have not ridden any other adventure bikes.:sunny: