PDA

View Full Version : Nolan Helmets and Bluetooth

Grub
3rd March 2007, 20:44
We are looking at a pair of Nolan N102 flip-up helmets with the Basic + Bluetooth kits.

We're wondering if anyone has any experience with these please. The salesman says that the Bluetooth range is good enough for comms between bikes riding together up to 120kmh.

That would be pretty cool if it did that. The Bluetooth is designed to work as a pillion intercom so there's no reason to expect it's range wouldn't reach a bike nearby .... would love to know for sure as that would decide our buying decision. Munny is involved, be nice to know it's well spent.

Delphinus
3rd March 2007, 21:23
Bluetooth specs say that the range is about 10metres, and high powered bluetooth devices can reach up to about 100m, but then you wouldn't really want to crank the power too high when the device is sitting right beside your head. Also not sure if the speed would affect things or not.

Zukin
4th March 2007, 07:41
Hey there

Yes they do work, but the distance isnt very good though (from what I have heard). I nver tested them myself.

However the helmets are brilliant :yes:
That is what we used....:yes:

Cheers Scott

BNZ
6th March 2007, 10:33
im looking at using http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/45ec9a7f003614c4273fc0a87f3306e9/Product/View/D9129 instead of bluetooth. Will hopefully test this shortly....

Grub
6th March 2007, 12:08
im looking at using http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/45ec9a7f003614c4273fc0a87f3306e9/Product/View/D9129 instead of bluetooth. Will hopefully test this shortly....

They look good BNZ ... we were all bluetoothy because it would then work with the mobile phone as well. I heard somewhere they work up to 200m but I'm beginning to doubt that, I think it much more likely that 10-20 is reasonable.

Yes, apparently speed does make a difference. Not sure if it's the speed disturbing the signal or all the wind noise making it impossible. I suspect the latter.

yod
6th March 2007, 16:27
hey bnz....very keen to hear what you think...i'd be interested to see what these are like on the road - wind could cause probs i spose

i haven't been down to tricky dicky's to have a nosey yet, but the image on the site looks like you get 2 transceivers but only one ear piece?? a bit odd methinks.....

heyjoe
6th March 2007, 18:41
Does anyone know what it would cost for the 'basic + bluetooth' parts to buy on their own if you already have a Nolan helmet?

Zukin
6th March 2007, 18:45
Does anyone know what it would cost for the 'basic + bluetooth' parts to buy on their own if you already have a Nolan helmet?

From memory it is $89 for the basic kit and $380 for the bluetooth kit, you will need both of them.

What I was trying to do, and still trying to do is get the basic kit and an adaptor cable to connect 2 PRS radios (handheld radios like the Uniden or the one pictured above)

We tried the Uniden PRS radios and their new Helmet speaker and mic system, but they didnt work out to well, but we suspect on is faulty??

Cheers Scott

Meanie
6th March 2007, 19:15
Watching this thread cause i too am considering a Nolan helmet with blue tooth

Grub
6th March 2007, 19:27
From memory it is $89 for the basic kit and $380 for the bluetooth kit, you will need both of them

Eeeek, I didn't ask the price of the bluetooth because the basic seemed reasonable but that's high. Those two kits pieces are as much as the helmet!

If they work out to 100m, that might be worth it but perhaps BNZ's option is the better one, Basic + Radios. Because Nasty & I ride together so much, it would be a magic addition to our kit.

doc
6th March 2007, 19:37
Last time I looked into it it was about $1100 for the helmet and the add on blingy stuff. Really liked the Nolan because of the sun visor but the gadgetty stuff while nice seems a bit expensive.

Zukin
6th March 2007, 20:32
The helmets themselves are damn brilliant.
We used them on our ride around NZ last month, they proved themselves in the heavy rain and the visor is fantastic in that too, not just for the sun where the were also great
In the rain we used the sun visor like a peak :)

They retail at $599

The two radio system is in my opinion a waste of time unless you can get a PTT (Push to talk) button on the handlebars, otherwise you have to fosscik around and find the button on the radio!! Dangerous as well as a pain in ar#@

The idea we have is too still use the radios, but adapt the basic kit and have a cable attached to the radio and a button that mounts to the handlebars

Cheers Scott

Grub
6th March 2007, 20:44
The two radio system is in my opinion a waste of time unless you can get a PTT (Push to talk) button on the handlebars,

I saw the answer to that ... umm now where was that? Oh ... that's right ... on Kiwibiker :)

Every bike has that stoopid "Passing" switch (has one *ever* been used?). Somebody wired that to be his PTT button. I thought that was really cool, just like on the yoke of the aircraft

Pixie
6th March 2007, 22:09
The two radio system is in my opinion a waste of time unless you can get a PTT (Push to talk) button on the handlebars, otherwise you have to fosscik around and find the button on the radio!! Dangerous as well as a pain in ar#@

The idea we have is too still use the radios, but adapt the basic kit and have a cable attached to the radio and a button that mounts to the handlebars

Cheers Scott

Get a radio with VOX?

Zukin
6th March 2007, 22:37
Get a radio with VOX?

Yep tried that too, but just as bad!!
Too much noise at 100kmph will set it off, we even tried it with the sensitivity set as low as possible

The PTT button is the best idea.
I have a pic of the uniden setup but I cant attach here for some reason, if anyone wants to see it then PM with your email address and I will send it through

Lou Girardin
7th March 2007, 05:48
Nolan bluetooth doesn't have the range for bike to bike. Transceivers should be reasonably easy to adapt though, there is two inputs in addition to the bluetooth comms.
All our feedback has been positive so far.

Nasty
7th March 2007, 06:33
How are the Nolans for noise .. I currently have a HJC and find wind noise an issue.

Cheers
Nasty

Zukin
7th March 2007, 07:10
Well I am not really sure compared to the HJC, but I think they are pretty good, I hate wearing earplugs, so if I can (without risk of damage to my hearing) I elect not to wear them, other helmets I have too, but the Nolan I dont.

Cheers Scott

yod
7th March 2007, 23:57
I have a Nolan, had it for oohh about 12-13 years now lol, comfy, light, vents well, wind noise is about average, better than my old bell tho!!

BNZ
8th March 2007, 18:32
How are the Nolans for noise .. I currently have a HJC and find wind noise an issue.

Cheers
Nasty

Not too bad. If you really care about noise, remove the VPS visor (30 sec job). I remove it if riding at night as it makes a bit of noise when its up. I met a guy the otherday who uses the same as me (the N102 flip) and he reckons he can be on his cellphone with bluetooth at 100km and the person on the other end cant even tell hes on a bike!

Zukin
12th March 2007, 16:53
Here is the pic of the Undien Setup
I couldnt upload the Jpeg so here it is on Word

The one I actually received is slightly different than the one pictured and that there is a switch box on the ones I received to change from PTT to VOX (voice activated)

Cheers Scott

mr x
16th March 2007, 21:02
Has anyone tried the bmw helmet with Bluetooth comms.
I think the police are using them now.
Being BMW I guess they are stupidly expensive though...

Dodger
17th March 2007, 06:43
A mate of mine has used BMW helms in the past, hes always said they were the best he has ever had.
But due to the cost he doesn't have one now.

Metalor
3rd April 2007, 11:58
Yes, apparently speed does make a difference. Not sure if it's the speed disturbing the signal or all the wind noise making it impossible. I suspect the latter.

I'd think it was the wind or some other factor other than the speed you're travelling at that would affect the signal... you'd have to be going pretty fast for it to start changing the signal, ie alot closer to the speed of light! Haha. And if you're both doing 200kmh then you're not really going fast at all with respect to each other, so I suspect it would be wind noise or something like that.

Sorta off topic... those headsets that you can buy that have velcro pads on the back so you can stick them in your helmet, are they any good for using with an mp3 player? I was thinking of buying some for $80 from mount eden motorcycles as I don't like the idea of having little earbuds in my ears while wearing a helmet. So yea, the velcro padded speakers any good, or are there better things on the market?

Templar
3rd April 2007, 12:19
I'm really interested in this bluetooth setup as well. I'd prefer to go with a different brand helmet than the Nolan, but basically hoped to get the detector/gps/comms all hardwired on the bike with just the headset wirelessly in the helmet. I asked at the Amps store yesterday but they said there's nothing unless yuo use nolan or import a headset from the uk.

They also said Nolan was bringing in a full face helmet with Ncom to NZ any day now, that could be another option.

Grub
3rd April 2007, 12:46
They also said Nolan was bringing in a full face helmet with Ncom to NZ any day now, that could be another option.

I presume you're meaning a one-piece? Our helmets are flip-up full face which are brilliant and certainly better than our old HJC's (which we still have for track-days and pillions)

Templar
3rd April 2007, 13:40
Yeah mate sorry, I mean one piece full face, as opposed to the flip face. I'm not really a fan of the flip face, I don't know why it's just a mental thing.

timphy2
3rd April 2007, 13:49
Hey i went to dicksmith and they have a uniden radio for $129. That includes 2 radio's, 2 headsets, and a charger and the range is 3k aparently. the headsets are voice activated so the question is whether the wind and noise will activate the headset or not. couldnt find a PTT one. I might try it cause i can bring it back within 14 days and get my money back.

Templar
3rd April 2007, 15:02
Hey i went to dicksmith and they have a uniden radio for $129. That includes 2 radio's, 2 headsets, and a charger and the range is 3k aparently. the headsets are voice activated so the question is whether the wind and noise will activate the headset or not. couldnt find a PTT one. I might try it cause i can bring it back within 14 days and get my money back.

Are they bluetooth? Do the headsets install in helmets? Sounds good if they are/do.

Templar
3rd April 2007, 16:24
Doing some more reading today, these look they would do the business well.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/interphone-bluetooth-intercom.htm

Anyone have any good ideas about where I could get these? A reliable offshore bike part retailer maybe?

timphy2
3rd April 2007, 17:14
Are they bluetooth? Do the headsets install in helmets? Sounds good if they are/do.

hey nah not bluetooth aye but i guess u could take the plactic bits of the microphone and earpiece and velcro it into your helmet? i mean for $129 you cant expect much. and if you split the cost with a mate...