PDA

View Full Version : Looking at getting a new bike - Which one?

Zukin
4th March 2007, 16:45
Which Bike??

How many times does this get asked on the forums?:shutup:

Well now that we have finished our adventure, we are considering getting a larger bike so we can take much relaxed trips around NZ 
We will be using it mostly on road trips, but as you all know I love the gravel, apart from that and the odd rough track it wont be used much off-road so to speak.
It must be good enough to comfortably carry us 2 up (incl our gear) for at least a week.
It will also be used for weekend rides and maybe just maybe a trip around OZ?
I would also of course use it for the odd “boys” adventure ride weekend away 

Now the bikes I have on my list are (in some sort of order)
1. DR650
The like the Suzuki as they were so reliable and everyone else that owns one says the same thing. The thing here is would it be suitable 2 up?

2. BMW 650 Dakar (or 650GS)
Doesn’t really bother me too much which one, however I am concerned at the issues with electronics that some people have experienced? But I guess as we will be only doing easier gravel roads the engine braking system wont become too much of an issue?

3. KTM990 (http://www.ktm.co.nz/bike.php?bike=59) (expensive though) :shit:
I quite like this bike, but not much info about them yet? I also heard the service (particularly in OZ) isn’t much chop? Out of all the bikes I think this one suits us the most? Is there an older similar version, I have had a look on TM and Bike point but haven’t turned anything up?

4. BMW 1150
A lot of bike and a lot of money, but maybe suits us more 2 up?

5.Triumph Tiger (http://www.triumph.co.uk/uk/6863.aspx)
After I talked to Sels1 about his bike and then a few others on KB saying only good things about theirs, I have added this to the list but don’t really know too much about them?? From what I have seen they look good.

So if any of you would like to share your thoughts and/or experiences it would be much appreciated :yes:

Cheers Scott

Henk
4th March 2007, 20:04
Wouldn't recomend the DR650 as a two up bike, Seat is going to drive your pillion mad in no time at all. We've been looking at the same sort of thing and of all the adventure bikes were leaning towards the Tiger, BMW650 a bit under powered for two up fully loaded, DR650 seat isue and power, BMW1150 too big for my wife to ride with me on the back. She's about 5'3 but on the Tiger she could ride given that I can put my feet down at intersections to help keep the plot stable. I'm about 5'11.
We've relaxed our criteria now as no of road will be involved and only some gravel so considering naked tourers like 1200 bandits, GSX1400 and XJR1300 as well now.

NordieBoy
4th March 2007, 21:26
A pair of DR650's?
With aftermarket seats.

Should be cheaper than some of the other options.

Zukin
4th March 2007, 21:28
Funny you should say that, we thought about that, but if we want to go away and she doesnt want to ride then we would be a little stuck??

bgd
4th March 2007, 23:34
I've had the 1150 GS for about 3.5 years. In that time I've put on 65k miles and the only problem I've had was electrical but caused by a jet wash, so the bike is well built. I have the last of the range (2003) before the 1200 so all problems had been sorted - the Adventure lasted for another year I think. It is a wonderful bike for touring and riding 2 up. But it is big and heavy and can be a handful at low speeds, although a low centre of gravity and familiarity help. It's a beast off road, although I've seen experts throw the thing around. Unfortunately that isn't me.

Before that I had the 650GS. This was fun also but not built to the same standard, especially the electrics. Wouldn't be in a hurry to get another, in that size I would go Japanese or look at KTM.

Jantar
5th March 2007, 00:19
From your list I'd reccommend the Tiger. But also have a look at the VStroms. Both the 650 and the 1000 will carry two people with no trouble.

XP@
5th March 2007, 08:09
If you are looking at a 650 then consider the Transalp (uses carbs not fool injection).

MSTRS
5th March 2007, 08:31
Tiger for 1st choice.
Vstrom for 2nd.
Oh, and forget to return 'her' DR

The Big J
5th March 2007, 09:50
You should definitely check out the V Strom 650 and 1000

The 1000 would be the perfect around the world bike (maybe not there yet but great for touring) and has heaps of space internally for tools and parts and taping things to the fairing inside etc.
And check the transalp too.

The Triumph Tiger is good from what I understand of my friend who has one. They certainly seem nice for two up.

Ruralman
5th March 2007, 13:25
The Transalps recommended weight limit is 160kg (rider, pillion + gear). I have noticed the difference when I have had someone on the back in the 60+kg compared to a lighter pillion - you just start to feel a little bit of flex in the corners if you push it and hit bumps (the combined weight being right on the 160kg) and you would notice it more as the weight went up with gear etc.

While pillions have commented on how comfortable it is compared to many other bikes they have been on you do have to make adjustments as the rider for passing manoevres etc as the bike is affected much more than a 1000cc machine.

If you are only occasionally 2 up, and the weight is within guidelines, then the T/A is great, it is a superb backroad bike and has pretty good weather protection for highway cruising.
If I was always riding on my own (even with a pillion) rather than with other bikers on 1000cc machines I would also probably be happier - BUT - when you ride with people on the bigger bikes they are able to do many things just so much easier and you can end up having to work the T/A harder than I would like to to keep up (especially when loaded up). While you can argue that this 650 has more KW than that one, but that one's torque figures are better at this revs etc etc, the guts of it is still that cubic cc's make the difference.

For these reasons I would suggest the Tiger - it does everything the T/A can do just as well, and then it has so much more because of that power - and it uses a lot less fuel as well.
Just leave one for me to buy somewhere when I can divert some money from other demanding causes!!!!

SlipperyOZ
5th March 2007, 14:35
A pair of DR650's?
With aftermarket seats.

Should be cheaper than some of the other options.Hey Scott... I'm with NordieBoy on this one. Two up touring sucks bigtime!!! Get two bikes and a decent bike2bike communication system. When are you coming to OZ????? :ride:

chris
5th March 2007, 15:02
I love the gravel
So buy something with a 21" front wheel.

Grub
5th March 2007, 15:15
so I gather this is because Carissa can't ride anything over 250cc for a while? How long is that?

You going to get something in the interim or has she had enough of riding herself? After 7,000km in 3 weeks, she is qualified to call it! :)

Brett

yungatart
5th March 2007, 15:30
I don't know much about most of your choices, but I can categorically state that the Tiger has the most comfortable pillion seat I have ever sat on..

clint640
5th March 2007, 19:42
Good comments above. If you want good gravel/dirt ability a 21" front is very nice to have, if buying newish & pillion + luggage capable that means KTM 950/990. If you don't mind a bit less off road talent there are lots of good options.

A bike each is much less of a compromise in NZ & you can get 2 DR650s for the price of some of the big twins...

Cheers
Clint

XF650
5th March 2007, 21:02
So buy something with a 21" front wheel.

What size is the Tiger front wheel?

Ruralman
6th March 2007, 22:34
What size is the Tiger front wheel?

Latest one is only 17 and soft - see Duck01's comments about bend in the front wheel after their trip to the RAT meeting in Dunedin - prior to that they were 19inch and the 05-06's were also mostly alloy, prior to that they were spoked wheels.
On the gravel roads we were on the 19 inch was fine from the ride I had - where the 21 would have an advantage is where it gets rutted and you need to be able to ride out of and through ruts, and probably in really heavy gravel or sand. Choice of tyres in these circumstances would be pretty important too.
The 19 seemed OK to me for any adventure riding I'm going to be doing but if you want to hit more of the farm tracks rather than gravel roads then the big wheel as well as a lot of other stuff becomes important and probably the big KTM becomes the No1 choice.

chris
7th March 2007, 07:46
the big KTM becomes the No1 choice.
The GS/GS Adventure is probably the better bike in my opinion. But you pays your money and takes your choice.

slimjim
7th March 2007, 10:38
yup , have a good look at a vstrom 650, i looked at the 1000 , however felt its weight wise the 650 did more, have also fitted the sv front gearbox socket and boy topend no wories, now it takes the speedo off the readings, 210 plus,longer range now by 40km's,feilding to hamilton one tank,to as rev's are lower by 800rpm than std, however it still pulls strong in lower gears, and you can adjust suspenion when you need to,and too its an easy seat to have extra pad's added

pevs
7th March 2007, 21:04
Have you considered the Kwaka KLR 650?
The new one looks pretty damned good.. very popular in the states.
The older ones price may drop like a stone too when the new one is released.. which could be good for a buyer.. that's if you can put up with the god awful graphics.

Aslan
25th March 2007, 11:04
Hi Scott - looking at your comments about intended use and given the two up factor and long distance touring aspirations; I'd suggest a BMW flat twin. I'm biased of course and acknowledge that at the end of the day - choice is a subjective thing - but I enjoy my 1150GS for the sorts of application you describe.If you can find an 1100GS in good nick - they are highly regarded by some - they have a lower first gear than the 1150 which can be beneficial in off road situations. Cheers Stephen O

Ruralman
25th March 2007, 20:19
Hi Scott - looking at your comments about intended use and given the two up factor and long distance touring aspirations; I'd suggest a BMW flat twin. I'm biased of course and acknowledge that at the end of the day - choice is a subjective thing - but I enjoy my 1150GS for the sorts of application you describe.If you can find an 1100GS in good nick - they are highly regarded by some - they have a lower first gear than the 1150 which can be beneficial in off road situations. Cheers Stephen O

I'm really reluctant to dish someone elses bike - but - all the feedback I've had when I've been asking about options for going up in size is that the BMW's are very capable - but they are bloody BORING to ride. It depends obviously on what you want and your stage in life but if you ride for the passion and excitement and the buzz that the machine gives you when you crack it open or something - then ride before you buy

pc1222
29th March 2007, 02:47
can't say much about the other bikes but I own a 07 dr650se and the seat sucks. for one I don't think a passenger would find it pleasant after 30 min. of ride time. on the other hand I love the bike for me it is a Swiss army knife of bikes good on and off. as for power how much do you really need @ 70mph it still has good pick up power and I don't think you will need that in the dirt. it basically goes any where I want to and dose not complain one bit.

Big Dave
29th March 2007, 02:54
Buell Ulysses does all that as well too.
Tiger is great value for money at the moment.
Don't drink the 21" front wheel kool aid. They are better - not imperative. Particularly for what you describe.

warewolf
29th March 2007, 22:22
We will be using it mostly on road trips, but as you all know I love the gravel, apart from that and the odd rough track it wont be used much off-road so to speak.
It must be good enough to comfortably carry us 2 up (incl our gear) for at least a week. Tiger: good bike, good value, good match to your stated aims.

So what if some have dinged the rims on the new ones? My KTM 640 Adventure runs similar rims to the 950 Adventure; both bikes are renowned for turning the rims into 50 cent pieces (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_50_cent_coin), and they are 21" spoked dirt-worthy jobs - so KTM tell us.

As for the 21" thing, I'm quite happy riding my Triumph Trophy on gravel roads and the odd (dry) 4wd track, and it only runs the ubiquitous 17" sprotsbike size wheels and rubber. The 19" front on the older Tigers, wearing semi-adventure pattern rubber can only be better.

The biggest let-down on these bikes is not the wheel, not the tyres, but the stiff road-style suspension and high first gear.

windboy
22nd April 2007, 19:46
Another tourer/offroadish bike that may suit that particular need is the Honda Varadero. Sort of a Transalp on steroids but clearly more biased to the sealed road (VTR1000 engine detuned for lower rev torque). Cast wheels, combined honda breaks (i've tried them on a VFR800 and was impressed), fuel injection, etc... $18k brand new.

http://www.honda-motorcycles.co.nz/bikedetails.asp?BikeTypeID=4&ModelID=190&type=

Good luck, let us know what you get.

Windboy.

Zukin
26th April 2007, 13:48
Well I have just sold the XR, so after careful consideration (and after Chris's great advice :laugh: ) I think I will go with the DR650:yes:

In reality I can use it solo, double up if we really have to and we could buy two DR650's for the price of one of the other bikes.

I love the DRZ and I think it will be similar to the DR650 and its intended purpose

Cheers Scott

Crisis management
26th April 2007, 13:52
Good choice, Scott, you are immediately entered into the hallowed halls of "Team Drongo racing"

Congratulations

Ronnie
1st July 2007, 18:31
Yeah, have a good look at the KLR.:yes:

QMOTO
11th July 2007, 10:23
Im Lookng into this subject as well and as a serious Adventure bike the Transalp aint anywhere near it, its one of those bikes that doesnt know what it is, its not a good raod bike, its not a good adventure bike, I put it into the stable same as the Ulysses and the Vstrom.
For me a adventure bike should be capbale in the dirt gravel and somewhat on the highway, for me my list is
in this order
KLR650 08 model
DR650
XT660 (new 21 inch front moel)
Dakar (unlikely to expensive

Im favouring the KLR as its cheap and packed with good features, like big tank, big luggage carrying ability, comfort.

I dunno but I reckon Adventure means a bit of highway them no sealed roads for as long as possible...........ie go on a adventure, who knows what you will be riding on, half the list above would struggle with weight and fuel load.

just my thinking at the moment

Oh anyone want to buy a ZXR1400 ???

Big Dave
11th July 2007, 10:52
My only beef with the DR is the seat - an hour and I'm done.
Had a burn on a DL650 the other day - mucho comfier.
1000 is good all week.

Crisis management
11th July 2007, 11:00
Oooooh, disparaging the DR!

Your right tho, mind you I can usually last 6 hours before total anal oblivion sets in!

There's a few other issues with the DR tho, needs a larger fuel tank, decent exhaust, re jetting and better suspension, a screen, new bars and a wider rear rim wouldn't go astray. Nothing $2000 won't fix.

Other than that its perfect-ish......

If your starting out with adventure riding, I wonder if a cheap (small/old) dual purpose trailie wouldn't be worth a go. Experiment on that and then get a better bike once you know what sort of riding you will be doing.

windboy
11th July 2007, 13:16
You'll never get the perfect compromise on any adventure bike. They will either be too traily or too roadie... If gravel's all your after, weight isn't too much of an issue really as long as you have a decent pair of tyres.... So you have heaps of options quasimoto.

If you're serious about offroading it through real nasty stuff, you want something no greater than 400cc; and we all know how gutless that feels on the open rd...

no win situation? :shit:

cooneyr
11th July 2007, 13:22
Oooooh, disparaging the DR!

Your right tho, mind you I can usually last 6 hours before total anal oblivion sets in!

There's a few other issues with the DR tho, needs a larger fuel tank, decent exhaust, re jetting and better suspension, a screen, new bars and a wider rear rim wouldn't go astray. Nothing $2000 won't fix.

Spend the money to personalize and it is still a cheaper bike that almost every other 650 out there.

Cheers R

PeteJ
11th July 2007, 14:45
Another tourer/offroadish bike that may suit that particular need is the Honda Varadero. Sort of a Transalp on steroids but clearly more biased to the sealed road (VTR1000 engine detuned for lower rev torque). Cast wheels, combined honda breaks (i've tried them on a VFR800 and was impressed), fuel injection, etc... $18k brand new.

http://www.honda-motorcycles.co.nz/bikedetails.asp?BikeTypeID=4&ModelID=190&type=

Good luck, let us know what you get.

Windboy.

Have had my Varadero for a bit over 4000km now, and am starting to form a few impressions.

I did the Gentle Annie and a few of the Central Plateau gravel roads this last weekend, a total of >1200km in the 2 days, maybe half of that on gravel. Lots of ice and some snow as well as the gravel; the bike likes it all fine, the only drawback being that the standard Bridgestone Trail Wing tyres are NBG on smooth wet seal (or black ice).

One main reason for buying it is that my wife is 182cm tall, and nothing else on your list (or ours) was at all comfortable for her. The Tiger was diabolical.

I also have a VTR, so it was a good idea to have the familiar power plant. I have had nothing but good experiences with Honda reliability over the years (and I have owned at least 10 other makes of machine for extended periods, so I can make knowledge-based comparisons).

The standard 28 litre fuel capacity is another good idea - 350km and still another 4 litres in the tank.

I have offroaders for offroad, road bikes for road, racers for racing. This machine is exactly what I bought it to be: an allroad all-weather tourer that is equally comfortable for the pillion on all roads and in all weathers.

tri boy
11th July 2007, 15:06
You all know what I would suggest.:yes:
The pillion issue may negate it. Also the lack of wind protection.

NordieBoy
11th July 2007, 18:06

Tank - Done.
Exhaust - Done.
Re-Jet - Done.
Better suspension - On it's way :D
Screen - Done.
Bars - Done.
Seat - Done.
Lights - Done.
Bashplate - Done.
Horn - Done.
Handguards - Done.
Gearing - Done.
Tyres - Done.

Yep - Less than $2000 total.
Wider rear rim - Not needed.

timg
11th July 2007, 21:23
Im Lookng into this subject as well and as a serious Adventure bike the Transalp aint anywhere near it, its one of those bikes that doesnt know what it is, its not a good raod bike, its not a good adventure bike,

Oh shit. :shutup: Don't tell my bike that! Having taken me thru the back blocks of the Rakaia/Ashburton Gorges, up the Mt Olympus access road (read deep shale shingle slips), playing in the Waimak mud, and past Duccati's (ok...riden by a new owner) on track days it might decide it's not up to it after all. :gob:

Sure, it may be a jack of all trades and master of none, but I reckon it's a fairly competent all rounder. Certainly it's far more competent than I am. Suit's me & the missus for the riding we do anyway, which is a little bit of everything. Cheers. :scooter:

windboy
11th July 2007, 21:38
I know what you saying timg, not everyone gets the tranny...! :nono:

warewolf
13th July 2007, 16:28
not everyone gets the tranny...! :nono:A lot of blame can be laid on BMW's superior marketing strategy.:dodge:

RedKLR650
14th July 2007, 00:40
Im Lookng into this subject as well and for me a adventure bike should be capbale in the dirt gravel and somewhat on the highway, for me my list is
in this order
KLR650 08 model
DR650
XT660 (new 21 inch front moel)
Dakar (unlikely to expensive

Im favouring the KLR as its cheap and packed with good features, like big tank, big luggage carrying ability, comfort.

I dunno but I reckon Adventure means a bit of highway them no sealed roads for as long as possible...........ie go on a adventure, who knows what you will be riding on, half the list above would struggle with weight and fuel load.

just my thinking at the moment

Oh anyone want to buy a ZXR1400 ???

Hi QUASi,

Pleased to see someone else rates the KLR650. :Punk: They've never had much of a following here in NZ, yet in the states they've virtually reached cult status:love: due to their reliability and ability to be customised. As you said, big tank, comfy seat, 21"front wheel, and relatively grunty for the price. Would definately reccomend an aftermarket front fork brace and SuperMoto 320mm front disc as braking and front fork rigidity are two places it will let you down:shit:. Having done around 60,000km around Europe on my old KLR600, and over 26,000 km on the 650's I'm pretty happy in general.:rockon:

As discussed, all adventure bikes are a compromise in one way or the other, you just need to figure out which way you lean towards :dodge:

Cheers, STu :scooter:

pete376403
14th July 2007, 21:33
Picked up an 08 KLR on Friday. Never rode the previous model so nothing to compare it to, but this new on is niiiice!!!
Very smooth (and not even with the qualifer "for a single") at 100 - 110, very good lights (only ridden it at night), brakes were a little wooden for the first 20 kays but getting much much better. Thats about all I've been able to rate so far (100kms) but going to a ride over the 'Takas tomorrow so hope to learn a bit more. Things I definitetly want to change - the rear numberplate//tail light mount hangs down way too far and the rear brake hose routing is a little weird

RedKLR650
14th July 2007, 21:46
Picked up an 08 KLR on Friday. Never rode the previous model so nothing to compare it to, but this new on is niiiice!!!
Very smooth (and not even with the qualifer "for a single") at 100 - 110, very good lights (only ridden it at night), brakes were a little wooden for the first 20 kays but getting much much better. Thats about all I've been able to rate so far (100kms) but going to a ride over the 'Takas tomorrow so hope to learn a bit more. Things I definitetly want to change - the rear numberplate//tail light mount hangs down way too far and the rear brake hose routing is a little weird

Having had 3x KLR's over the years, the best bit of advice for running in a big single, is to make it work up and down the gears and rev range for at least the first 500 km's. Find a nice shingle road, and work up and down, up and down the gears and rev range. A long run in top gear is about the worst kind of run in for this type of bike.:nono:

I'd love to hear other comments on this opinion, but I've had good success with this formula over the years, and all the mechanics I've spoken to also tend to prefer this idea.

What are the standard tires on the new KLR ? :shit:

Congratulations on your new purchase :love:

Welcome to the KLR club :Punk:

Cheers, Stu:scooter:

NordieBoy
15th July 2007, 07:42
Having had 3x KLR's over the years, the best bit of advice for running in a big single, is to make it work up and down the gears and rev range for at least the first 500 km's. Find a nice shingle road, and work up and down, up and down the gears and rev range. A long run in top gear is about the worst kind of run in for this type of bike.:nono:

Yep, good warm-up and lots of smooth under load acceleration (no more than 70% or so throttle) and engine braking.
Give those rings a chance to bed.
You may even be able to feel it getting stronger.
It was very noticeable on my XR250.

Change (and check) the oil and see how it wheelies :D

Howie
15th July 2007, 11:45

congratulations on the new bike Pete. I got my 07 model late last year, there are a few KLR websites around with info on mods to the numberplate/ tailight mounting system not sure if they are up to speed on the 08 model yet. Look forward to meeting you sometime.

pete376403
15th July 2007, 21:45
Tyres are Dunlop K750 both ends. Very good on the road, even in damp shady corners. A bit vague in really deep ungraded gravel - mates with TCK80 shod KTM and DR raced away in that part, and good where the loose gravel had been swept off exposing the hard pack underneath.
I agree on the running in - it's got about 330km on it now, and have been varying the revs up and down, no more than about 5000 and not letting it drop down (with a load on) below 2000. 5000 = 130kmHr so thats fine for now. The shop said they filled it before I picked it up and it went onto reserve at 315km. Took 18.9 litres to fill to the bottom of the tank filler neck.
So far I'm very pleased.
Pics - Martinborough cafe Society, somewhere between M'boro and Gladstone via a very back way, Gladstone