PDA

View Full Version : Timing Retard Eliminator

SpankMe
16th June 2003, 22:56
Has anyone tried this on their bike? You can buy devices for a few hundred dollars that do the job or with SV or TL Suzuki’s you can do <a href="http://www.sv-portal.com/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=156&">this mod</a> for a few cents.

Here's the low down on this mod.

<i>Originally posted by <a href="http://www.sv-portal.com/index.php?act=Profile&CODE=03&MID=232">BurnCycleM</a></i>
<b>What the Suzuki did was make separate ignition map for each gear. This has been done for either safety and/or emissions reasons. However, it limits the power and smoothness of your bike in the first 1/2 turn of the throttle in gears 1 through 4.
It still allows full timing at full throttle. As you shift up through the gears, the amount of throttle needed to access the advance curve decreases, until you make it into 5th gear and then it's gone.

A TRE has no effect at full throttle
A TRE does have an effect at throttle openings up to 1/2 in gears 1 through 4 at ANY rpm
A TRE does NOT affect full throttle power</b>
Unsure if it is only Suzuki that uses this setup for mapping the FI for gears. Would like to hear any Kiwi Biker members’ experiences with this mod.

Dave
17th June 2003, 09:55
The concept has been around for a long time,Read a test on a GSXR1100 maybe 6-8 years ago in a us magazine and they couldn't get this bike to do even half respectable quarter mile times.When they looked into it they found a similar device retarding the timing.Apparently to stop the bike from flipping over in the lower gears.Upon bridging out this device the bike then was seriously faster over a quarter mile.The mod that you showed in the link looked well done and easy to achieve.

bluninja
17th June 2003, 10:44
SpankMe did you do the mod on your SV650 to remove the retard for 2nd 3rd gears? I did it this weekend, but with a wet track I wasn't really able to notice any difference.

TTFN

bikerboy
17th June 2003, 18:58
Come on guys, I don't want to be the PC police here but would you stop refering to the retard and use the much more acceptable spark challenged.

Simon, what sort of example are you setting for your children?:D

SpankMe
17th June 2003, 19:16
Originally posted by bluninja
SpankMe did you do the mod on your SV650s to remove the retard for 2nd 3rd gears?

Didn't know I could when I had the bike. Would have done it if I had known.

750Y
18th June 2003, 09:40
Yeah, I've done it on my 750. I don't feel that it makes a big difference but it was noticeable at first.

Hoon
21st June 2003, 19:42
I did this mod on my TL1000s which is&nbsp;its predecessor and has the same motor as the SV kind of.&nbsp; I wired up a connector with a 15k resistor with a switch which plugged into the existing connector - in fact I still think its lying is my car boot somewhere!

The first year '97 the TL1000s came out, a few people killed themselves as the bike tended to&nbsp;tank slap during hard acceleration.&nbsp; Suzukis fix to this was to recall all the bikes and fit them with a steering damper and new ECU which would reduce power during hard acceleration (by retarding the timing a little in gears 1-4).

Anyway, When I did the mod I noticed snappier throttle response winding it on from the lights and general 50kph travel, tendency to wheelie easier and also the engine braking seemed more abrupt in stop/start peak hour traffic.

It wouldn't make much difference for the track but day-to-day riding which on a SV with its bucketloads of low RPM torque, you'd barely go over 1/4 throttle in 50kph traffic anyway, you will notice the difference.

Great value for money mod though :)

snozymotto
3rd March 2005, 17:30
I am wanting to make up a TRE for my SV1000S but I am having troubles finding the 3 pin plugs that you need to tap into the wiring, If anyone has or knows where I could get some of these plugs it would be a great help.

Sensei
3rd March 2005, 17:50
Have a " Ivans performance product " TRE unit in my GSXR1000. Give's full power mapping to 1st & 2nd gear by telling the bike it's in 3rd gear . All so takes the 299k limiter out as well . " Excellent fun to be had "
SENSEI

BurnCycle
4th March 2005, 07:21
I stand by what I wrote... But holy crap that's an old post. :laugh:

One thought though…
In 5th and 6th gear Suzuki does raise the fueling by a ˝ point in each to compensate for the ram air affect. If a bike is mapped to 5th or 6th it will be running richer than stock in all gears. Just something to keep in mind if considering a Power Commander or other FI tweak.

On the flip side if the bike is mapped to a lower gear it may not be getting the fuel it needs to make the most power at speed.

OK a second thought….
The simple TRE will also affect the neutral map. This is why some people report stumbling at idle or have issue in cold weather. It also a reason why some of them come with a switch now.

Oh, and for what it’s worth my TL is mapped gears 1-4 to 5th while 6th and neutral is unaffected buy the TRE. I tried 1-4 to 4th leaving 5 and 6 alone but it felt smoother mapped to 5th.

DEATH_INC.
4th March 2005, 17:52
I've done my gixx and a TL'r' & 's',all with good results,and no probs with idle....
edit: thought iI should add that I've always used a 6.8k resistor rather than a 15k one.dunno if that's why I've had no idle probs etc. :banana: