PDA

View Full Version : Arrow Exhausts - Help Needed

Grahameeboy
5th March 2007, 11:34
Am getting the damaged muffler on my 2005 SV1000S replaced by Insurance but cost is $1400.

For this cost Colemans will do me a set of Arrows, brushed ali mufflers.

Have never been keen on after market..noise and all that but the Arrows are suppose to be quieter than other makes so might be tempted.

I have DNA filter and TRE fitted.

So my questions are:

- Does anyone have experience of Arrows and / or on the SV?
- Would there be any realtime performance benefit?
- Will the engine life be reduced?

Any advice would be appreciated.

boomer
5th March 2007, 11:38
No, yes, no

get the buggers from overseas at a 3rd of the cost ya plonker.

Grahameeboy
5th March 2007, 11:39
No, yes, no

get the buggers from overseas at a 3rd of the cost ya plonker.

You plonker, me not paying for it...thru Insurance.

I guess to get a yes out of you....I should be honoured....:gob:

boomer
5th March 2007, 11:42
are you just getting your exhaust fixed on the insurance? if so then i should imagine your excess is 400+.. in which case your premiums may well go up next year ( sumising you dont have 100 ) in which case its cheaper all round to go off shore and purchase them yourself.

you might as well trade ya thou in for a smaller bike though Graham, i've seen you ride :lol:

WRT
5th March 2007, 11:43
I've got Arrow's on the RSV-R. Mine have removable baffles, with them fitted the bike is about the same volume as standard exhuast. Cant comment on performance with them in - after a quick listen, they came out pronto and never went back in. With the baffles out, the bike sounds fan-fking-tastic, and there appears to be a boost in power too. No dyno has confirmed this however, other than the seat of my pants.

Go the Arrows.

Grahameeboy
5th March 2007, 11:46
are you just getting your exhaust fixed on the insurance? if so then i should imagine your excess is 400+.. in which case your premiums may well go up next year ( sumising you dont have 100 ) in which case its cheaper all round to go off shore and purchase them yourself.

you might as well trade ya thou in for a smaller bike though Graham, i've seen you ride :lol:

Excess $2000 due to ban and I was parked and other Guy stopped so no excess........actually my suspension is sorted now and I am faster so may just trade down to a 600 Fireblade.........

Grahameeboy
5th March 2007, 11:48
I've got Arrow's on the RSV-R. Mine have removable baffles, with them fitted the bike is about the same volume as standard exhuast. Cant comment on performance with them in - after a quick listen, they came out pronto and never went back in. With the baffles out, the bike sounds fan-fking-tastic, and there appears to be a boost in power too. No dyno has confirmed this however, other than the seat of my pants.

Go the Arrows.

Cheers for that..mucho useful...Colemans told me they are EU complaint hence quieter......noise apart the main deterent has been cost so maybe worth it eh?

WRT
5th March 2007, 11:52
Cheers for that..mucho useful...Colemans told me they are EU complaint hence quieter......noise apart the main deterent has been cost so maybe worth it eh?

Noise can be a deterrent if you have close neighbours and you come and go at funny hours, but otherwise my own personal experience (others dont always agree) is that I get "seen" more with loud pipes. The arrows aren't insanely loud without the baffles either, nothing like a Harley etc.

Plus, you've got a V-Twin, it's criminal to keep it baffled!

Grahameeboy
5th March 2007, 11:59
Noise can be a deterrent if you have close neighbours and you come and go at funny hours, but otherwise my own personal experience (others dont always agree) is that I get "seen" more with loud pipes. The arrows aren't insanely loud without the baffles either, nothing like a Harley etc.

Plus, you've got a V-Twin, it's criminal to keep it baffled!

You right about last bit just not a conformist but I may actually like the sound......sounds good on other bikes.......think think..............

WRT
5th March 2007, 12:04
At least with the Arrows you have the choice. Quick blast you can remove them, long run (where the noise might be annoying . . . as if, but still . . .) you can just chuck them back in.

The baffles are held in place by a circlip, can fit both in a minute or so.

Grahameeboy
5th March 2007, 12:07
At least with the Arrows you have the choice. Quick blast you can remove them, long run (where the noise might be annoying . . . as if, but still . . .) you can just chuck them back in.

The baffles are held in place by a circlip, can fit both in a minute or so.

So I guess the fuel injection system adjusts?............reckon I should get a good power increase cause just the filter and TRE have made a difference

WRT
5th March 2007, 12:55
Presumably the FI copes, havent noticed any detremental effects by having the arrows fitted. Naturally, I'd imagine the most improvements in power would come from also fitting a PC and getting the whole lot tuned while you are at it, but that's a whole lot more money and hassle. Just whack the cans on, she'll be right!

Grahameeboy
6th March 2007, 06:50
Well been up all night thinking...or was that...no don't go there!!!
Looked up Arrow website and looks like the sound is only 3dB up on stock, about 3 kg's lighter and about another 8bp.

I was impressed with the site and tech info given and the power line for cans is similar to stock which is good.

So me thinks I may ask Colemans to go for it and see if I can keep the damaged stock silencer........

Getting excited now..........

Shaun
6th March 2007, 07:14
Well been up all night thinking...or was that...no don't go there!!!
Looked up Arrow website and looks like the sound is only 3dB up on stock, about 3 kg's lighter and about another 8bp.

I was impressed with the site and tech info given and the power line for cans is similar to stock which is good.

So me thinks I may ask Colemans to go for it and see if I can keep the damaged stock silencer........

Getting excited now..........

Go for it mate, the Arrow exhausts are brilliant, and you should notice a performance increase , PS do not ask for the muffler, just tell them you are taking it!!!!

Grahameeboy
6th March 2007, 09:01
Go for it mate, the Arrow exhausts are brilliant, and you should notice a performance increase , PS do not ask for the muffler, just tell them you are taking it!!!!

Yep will be fitted Monday and they will let me keep the stock cans. One belongs to me anyway and the damaged one is effectively damaged....Colemans rock.

Now with my DIY sorted suspension I am sorted....never thought I would get sooo excited about after market exhaust after being very anti them but the mufflers look cool......

1 less baffled V-Twin..........

Grahameeboy
12th March 2007, 14:10
Well got them fitted.
Not a lot louder but can feel extra power and they look real cool........need to take the baffle out to find out how much louder.....the cans are Ovals and look chunkier which adds to the coolness.

Grahameeboy
13th March 2007, 06:17
Took baffles out.........wow...nice sound, revs smoother through the gears and can feel the power difference.

I am a hoon, I am a hoon.........

aff-man
13th March 2007, 06:55
did you go for carbon or the brushed ones??

Have been hearing for a while that vtwins destroy the carbon ones...

I have a full arrow system on the 600 and a full grieves system with a micron can on the 750.

The arrow is louder but only by a little and they both improve performance.

If you've just done the cans I am not to sure but ya got a power commander?? You should probably get the injectors retunesd

Grahameeboy
13th March 2007, 07:07
did you go for carbon or the brushed ones??

Have been hearing for a while that vtwins destroy the carbon ones...

I have a full arrow system on the 600 and a full grieves system with a micron can on the 750.

The arrow is louder but only by a little and they both improve performance.

If you've just done the cans I am not to sure but ya got a power commander?? You should probably get the injectors retunesd

The brushed ones. They are good quality, look real nice.

With the baffles in it is the same. One circlip was a bugger to remove.

I have a TRE and K&N and Colemans said that the Fi computer will adjust. The bike feels smoother, quicker and no blips. The TRE smoothed things out just on it's own and when I put the K&N in 4,000 rpm gave 103kph instead of 100kph and just have not had a chance to see if this has changed with the mufflers.

Arrow claim a 6bhp increase and I can believe it.