PDA

View Full Version : Helmet sizes?

ninja ll
5th March 2007, 15:10
hi kb'ers.

i was just wonderin where you measure your head to find what size helmet is most appropriate becoz 4 example a size med is 56 cm. i assume that is the distance around your forehead?
-i am thinking of buying a helmet online.

thanks.

kiwifruit
5th March 2007, 15:15
welcome to the site :)
not sure how sizing works, if possible try the said helmet on before buying

Delphinus
5th March 2007, 15:17
Welcome ninja,

If you cant try the online one on for size, it may be worth going into your local bike shop and trying some of theirs on?

TerminalAddict
5th March 2007, 15:18
go and try one in the shops .. then order online

Grub
5th March 2007, 15:29
From experience, don't buy unknown brands online ... sizing sucks.

Measure around your forehead/eybrow area and see what you come up with (ear wax?).

We bought a flip-up 58cm ... NOT! It was about 60cm. If it had been a known brand, we could have gone into a bike-shop and tried one on. Remember a good fit should squeeze your cheeks, the helmet will mould and soften and work really well. If it hurts your temples and forehead, then it's a tad small.

Don't buy a second hand helmet unless its from someone you know and you know for SURE that it hasn't been dropped

Brett

vifferman
5th March 2007, 15:55
Yes, the sizing is the circumference of your head at brow level.
But (however!) that's not the whole story, as different brands fit differently, due to different shapes used for the padding and shell. If you want a good-fitting helmet, the size number/letter is a start, but you really need to try one on for a goodly amount of time. The best deal I had was a test-ride of my last helmet. It felt too tight in the shop, but after 20 minutes riding around, it felt perfect. The offer of a test-ride sold me on the helmet.

You can't even rely on consistency within a brand. My last three helmets have been AGVs, and whereas the last one fit well, the current one (same size, different model) does not. The problem is my head is 59cm, and AGVs run in even numbers, so my current ML is too tight, and I suspect an L will be too loose, like my first AGV was. Go figure...
But I know some Arai helmets in L fit me well. That probably means a Shoei won't, as generally you have either a Shoei head or an Arai head.

ninja ll
5th March 2007, 15:56
thanks for the coments, i measured my head and its 56cm. so according to the sizing i am a med. but i reckon i cud get a way with a Sm??

Motig
5th March 2007, 19:11
You really do have to try a few helmets on. Although a new helmet should be a tight fit you dont want to go to a size that is way to tight for you, all you'll do is have a very unenjoyable ride and possibly very bad headaches. webbike world.com has an article about buying helmets. Look it up.

Laava
5th March 2007, 19:31
So is L for low-brow?

90s
6th March 2007, 09:04
At christmas I wanted another helmet for Mrs 90s - cheap but up to standard. I saw on TM a number of $100 mark lids that were on 'discount'. My helmet fits her, a HJC 'M' CS-12. Unlike me, she has loads and loads of hair to take into account.
Close to buying a TM lid I went into Cycletreads to get something, then thought I'd try on the lids. They had the same ones of TM vendors were selling, for $5 less (plus no postage). Not only that, but in 'real life' I found the cheaper ones were crap. And the sizing was way out from the HJC sizing. Based on 'M' and also on the cm sizing they were not a match at all.
I got a Can lid marked down from $200 to $99 that was much better than any of the cheapo TM lids, and was a size mach for the HJC (see both lids in my avatar).

End of the day you need to try a helment on, or at least be able to really judge its size correctly. Sizing between brands is inconsistant. And TM prices are not often as cheap as you would think if you can get to a few bike shops and look at the end of line prices.

Good luck finding a fit. You will be wearing and relying on that helment for your comfort and safety for some time.

ninja ll
8th March 2007, 11:07
i have just purchased a helmet- a hjc-05 #2, (i think he sold me an older model damit.) and on the visor it says "Not warranted shatter proof". shud i replace the visor and if so will it be compatible with this helmet.?

Hinckley
3rd April 2007, 15:42
I wear a small Arai helmet apparently the shell is the same as the medium & large just the padded inserts are different and changeable. I really recommend you try before you buy. Its not worth messing around for the sake of saving a few bucks. Look after your head, get the best helmet you can afford!!