PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know a good auto sparky - with Bosch experience

Ixion
5th March 2007, 20:47
I've got a Bosch alternator needs checking out. Mechanically good, just no charge (so I'm suspecting either VR or rotor).

It's off a BMW bike, but it's a standard car type alternator (prolly fitted to some small euor cars), so an ordinary car auto sparky will handle it.

Anyone know a good one? The sort that can make things work, not just swap the whole thing for a new one .

It's off the bike.

Motu
5th March 2007, 22:23
Any good auto sparky should be able to handle it....it's Bosch for a start.You could try my guy in Carr Rd.He's a bit tricky to deal with,you are never sure if he's going to be grumpy and tell you to piss off,or talk your ear off for half an hour.Most KB members would start a thread trying to demolish his business because they don't like how they were treated,but you should be able to handle it.His 2IC is a bit more friendly.Don't mention my name and he won't stack the bill up.

Mrs Busa Pete
6th March 2007, 05:29
I've got a Bosch alternator needs checking out. Mechanically good, just no charge (so I'm suspecting either VR or rotor).

It's off a BMW bike, but it's a standard car type alternator (prolly fitted to some small euor cars), so an ordinary car auto sparky will handle it.

Anyone know a good one? The sort that can make things work, not just swap the whole thing for a new one .

It's off the bike.

pm classic zed he will see you wright

Edbear
6th March 2007, 14:49
pm classic zed he will see you wright

Beat me to it! He's had some tricky European electronic bits to figure out and likes to be able to fix things, not just bung on a new one. But your alternator should be pretty straight forward.

Eurodave
6th March 2007, 15:18
In my experience with older Guzzis, which have almost an identical setup to R series Beemer twins, the vast majority of times its the rotor failed, theres a guy on Tardme that sells rewound ones @ $305.
You can test your rotor by holding the brushes away from the shaft & measuring the ohmage between the 2 copper rings ,should be either 3 or 6 ohms depending on the bike model :) This info may not apply to K series Beemers:dodge: