PDA

View Full Version : Bucket Racing advice needed

Coldkiwi
17th June 2003, 18:18
All this talk of racing is making me very excited... but the harsh realities of cash keep bringing me back to earth.

So what I want to know is how much $$ do you need to get into bucket racing? It looks like a much more convenient (and given the reduced speeds, I guess safer .. ie. more likely not to get vetoed by my g/f!) but equally fun way of racing bikes. I also have read (and this makes a lot of sense) that it improves your riding skills a great deal because the bastards are so unstable!

I would need to invest in one piece leathers so I've got that factored in but what about the actual machine itself? I'd love to get a replice GP style bike (50cc I think or are they 125cc?) so whats the price diff between that and a street magic? do i still need a harder-to-get-than-an-honest-politician-MNZ race licence? What are the entry fees like?

Any/all advice greatly received:cool:

duke
18th June 2003, 21:52
<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-AU; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold"><SPAN class=btext>Suggest you join the AMCC&nbsp;&nbsp;http://www.amcc.org.nz and go along to their Bucket GP Weekend on 21/22 June at Mt Wellington Kart Track.&nbsp; The two key people to talk to are John Connor (025 988 883) and Wendy Lowe 09 810 8415.&nbsp; This is straight off the AMCC web-site.............</SPAN>

<SPAN class=btext>"If the budget won't stretch to fit your dreams or aspirations, try this for a fun form of road racing. A competitive machine can be built or purchased ready to race for as little as NZ$500.00 and naturally the maintenance costs are drastically less than other forms.

<B>Classes catered for here are:</B></SPAN>

<SPAN class=btext>Formula 4 - 51cc to 100cc 2 stroke or 140cc 4 stroke solo bikes.
</SPAN>
<SPAN class=btext>Formula 5 - 0cc to 50cc 2 stroke or 100cc 4 stroke solo Bikes.
</SPAN>
<SPAN class=btext>F4 Sidecars 0 to 100cc 2 stroke or 140cc 4 stroke</SPAN>

<SPAN class=btext>.
These events are currently held at Mount Wellington Kart Track which is both demanding, challenging and naturally a lot of fun. Again, we cater for all levels of ability and experience. "</SPAN>

<SPAN class=btext>regards

the duke
</SPAN></SPAN>

Coldkiwi
19th June 2003, 04:52
awesome stuff duke! thanks for that. I've got a wedding to go to on saturday arvo but I'll have to try and get to the GP&nbsp;on saturday morning. Mind you.. I still need to buy a car to put the thing in when I get it too! DOH!

speights_bud
17th June 2005, 18:59
Hey guys, recently i picked up a SuzukiA100 for zero$$. Have been thinking about bucket racing it but i am not sure on rules about mods/classes etc. Also wondering if there is someone i can contact in the HB region who has anything to do with buckets locally?

StoneChucker
17th June 2005, 21:17
Hey guys, recently i picked up a SuzukiA100 for zero$$. Have been thinking about bucket racing it but i am not sure on rules about mods/classes etc. Also wondering if there is someone i can contact in the HB region who has anything to do with buckets locally?
:Punk: Awsome bike mate. Try this, accelerate until your in second gear. Now JAM on the back brake :devil2: wheeeeee (I've been doing that alot lately).

While I love the A100, it's pretty fecking slow. It's fine for bucket racing (that's why I bought mine), but you're never going to be competitive. It might be good though, let you/and me ease into it, learn the tricks of the trade and if we like it, move up to a faster bucket or streetstock?

I think you just need a MNZ race licence (which means to need to be a member of an accredited motorcycle club). Some tracks require the bike to be covered in plastic bungs on all areas that will contact the road surface in a fall.

speights_bud
18th June 2005, 11:23
The bike has already had some work done on it, flipped handle bars, exhaust etc. I can manage 0-70 in 6 sec on gravel at the moment. im thinking the tyres on it will need replacing as the rubber has 'gone off' and are balding. Still it was pulling wheelies the lenth of the school carpark when i had it in engineering to get it up and running. Several teachers weren't too impressed!

StoneChucker
18th June 2005, 11:28
The bike has already had some work done on it, flipped handle bars, exhaust etc. I can manage 0-70 in 6 sec on gravel at the moment. im thinking the tyres on it will need replacing as the rubber has 'gone off' and are balding. Still it was pulling wheelies the lenth of the school carpark when i had it in engineering to get it up and running. Several teachers weren't too impressed!
Hmm, how do you get it to wheelie? I can get mine to wheelie, but only a foot or so, and only then by shifting the weight. Can't hold it up :no:

speights_bud
18th June 2005, 11:51
Hmm, how do you get it to wheelie? I can get mine to wheelie, but only a foot or so, and only then by shifting the weight. Can't hold it up :no:
Well im 16 and about 75 Kg so there not a terrible amount of weight to lift. i just slow down to a walking pace and dip the clutch before applying revs. cant pull them forever but about 10m or so. Must need some practice!

StoneChucker
18th June 2005, 12:02
Well im 16 and about 75 Kg so there not a terrible amount of weight to lift. i just slow down to a walking pace and dip the clutch before applying revs. cant pull them forever but about 10m or so. Must need some practice!
Hmm, I think my clutch may be stuffed then :rofl: I can't accelerate quickly, it just slips... Ahh well, it's only for bucket racing

speights_bud
18th June 2005, 12:09
Well the free-flow exhaust puts out alot more power (despite the excessive noise), also removing the header and sanding with a fine grit 800cw wet and dry paper to increase compression. those are the main two mods done on the bike (see pics below). :ride:

StoneChucker
18th June 2005, 17:16
Well the free-flow exhaust puts out alot more power (despite the excessive noise), also removing the header and sanding with a fine grit 800cw wet and dry paper to increase compression. those are the main two mods done on the bike (see pics below). :ride:
I don't think you attached the pics?
With the free flow exhaust, have you just taken off the muffler, making it in essence, just a tube?

And the header, what part do you sand? Cheers :ride:

speedpro
18th June 2005, 21:32
what? :weird:

gav
18th June 2005, 22:01
WTF? You sanded the header to increase compression? ummm, yeah, that'll work....... :rofl: That exhaust looks crap, two strokes work best with a properly designed expansion chamber, which needs different cones etc and works with the back pressure waves and that, involves some basic formulas and the like, do some research, heres a start http://www.hpt-sport.com/tunedpip.htm

speights_bud
18th June 2005, 22:37
At the time the exhaust was made the bike didn't belong to me. It belonged to a classmate of mine who then realised that due to the new pipes noise he could no longer use it where he lived(semi residential area). The guy had worked out all the dimensions etc for the chamber but decided he couldn't wait that long so under his instruction the rugged ass exhaust came alive. Although i must agree that it is not professional standard, it did increase the bikes overall power. As for sanding the header,(yes I did do that) My engineering teacher claimed it increased performance. Anyway its all done and i'm open to suggestion for proper ways on doing mods.

Ixion
19th June 2005, 11:27
I don't think you attached the pics?
With the free flow exhaust, have you just taken off the muffler, making it in essence, just a tube?

And the header, what part do you sand? Cheers :ride:

I think maybe he means the (cylinder) head, not the header ? And a two stroke on a simple open pipe would be total gutless shit.

You need a proper expansion box to get the back pressure waves, which are what plug up the exhaust port on the power stroke and stop all your HP going down the pipe, cos you ain't got a exhaust vale.

I think Mr Motu posted the formulas on here once, I used to have a lot of stuff about it but I've no idea where it is now.

Bert
1st August 2005, 21:41

Start my removing all the extra stuff of the bike that you really don't need like side covers and two stroke oil tank, lights etc. remove the air filter box and find a cheep filter to stick straight onto the carby. mix up your own two stroke fuel 30:1 petrol to oil. As a couple of the guys have said you need to crank up the compression, the bet way i've found to do this is to tape a sheet of fine wet and dry sandpaper to a peace of glass (supplies a very flat surface) + water and slow mover the head around in figure 8's. you also might think about removing one of the piston rings (reduces friction and give's you a spare :) you will need it). you might also need to sort out the front brakes and forks. Forks - well for a A100 drain them (by undoing the bolts on the top) and measure out how much is in each one. then try and find some oil that is thicker - 10-50 weight etc. (not really the best but it a A100 anyway), - this will sort out the damping now you want to sort out the rebound, see those lovely external springs you need to compress them a bit, (drop them out of the triple clamps) and get someone in your class to make some large washers to fit over the forks and hold the springs(under the bottom triple clamp), if you make a number of these them you can add and remove until you feel the forks rebounding to what you feel is good. as for a expansion chamber find yourself any thing off a mx bike that you butcher. think about changing the gearing to faster top end (slow acc) more teeth on the front and less on the back; or less top end (get there quicker - more ideal for buckets.) less teeth on the front more on the back

good luck i had a ball racing buckets at your age - be the next John Britton.

Bert
1st August 2005, 21:43
All this talk of racing is making me very excited... but the harsh realities of cash keep bringing me back to earth.

So what I want to know is how much $$ do you need to get into bucket racing? It looks like a much more convenient (and given the reduced speeds, I guess safer .. ie. more likely not to get vetoed by my g/f!) but equally fun way of racing bikes. I also have read (and this makes a lot of sense) that it improves your riding skills a great deal because the bastards are so unstable!

I would need to invest in one piece leathers so I've got that factored in but what about the actual machine itself? I'd love to&nbsp;get a replice GP style bike (50cc I think or are they 125cc?) so whats the price diff&nbsp;between that and&nbsp;a street magic? do i still need a harder-to-get-than-an-honest-politician-MNZ race licence? What are the entry fees like?

Any/all advice greatly received:cool:

check out trade me there is a aprila 50 or 125 frame needing a front end

froggyfrenchman
1st August 2005, 21:48
dont trust too much of rogers proformance tuning speights!!

froggyfrenchman
1st August 2005, 21:50
emmerson that is

speights_bud
2nd August 2005, 10:43
Hey guys, cheers for the tips & tricks. Bert, what you were saying about spacers for the exterior springs sounds like a good idea and i have already replaced the fork oil with 50 weight. much better than they were. Before it was like riding on pure springs :no: i don't fancy just bouncing around the corners much. The rear shocks are stuffed but i have just purchased some out of hamilton along with some rims & tyres. Still hoping i can get them down before the next meeting. :ride:

MSTRS
2nd August 2005, 10:45
Hey guys, cheers for the tips & tricks. Bert, what you were saying about spacers for the exterior springs sounds like a good idea and i have already replaced the fork oil with 50 weight. much better than they were. Before it was like riding on pure springs :no: i don't fancy just bouncing around the corners much. The rear shocks are stuffed but i have just purchased some out of hamilton along with some rims & tyres. Still hoping i can get them down before the next meeting. :ride:
You between classes, young man?

TonyB
2nd August 2005, 11:32
Oh no! The truancy officer has found you Speights!

Bert
2nd August 2005, 19:58

I've got a spare of 32mm forks with disk brake, sitting in a box along with a few other bits, if you going to really get into bucket racing we could come arrangement, shoot me a email brentjess@paradise.net.nz :drinkup:

speights_bud
5th August 2005, 14:11
I think you might be quite mistaken sir. i think DURING class is a tad more accurate... :whistle: hehe... G4E caught me too...

texmo
5th August 2005, 16:24
What you should do is put a marble in your exhaust that will increase you buckets preformance....
Will I see you on the 20th and 21st coldkiwi at mt wellington?

speights_bud
5th August 2005, 17:43
Will I see you on the 20th and 21st coldkiwi at mt wellington?
Sorry mate, but i don't think so. The A100 is far from road legal and i doubt dad would ever let me ride the gixxer. :no:

Gixxer 4 ever
5th August 2005, 21:21
Sorry mate, but i don't think so. The A100 is far from road legal and i doubt dad would ever let me ride the gixxer. :no:

Well done son. :clap: You might be on the net when you are suppose to be in class and you might not have any idea what class you are in at any given time of the day but you know you are not getting my bike so at least you have learnt somthin this year. :yes:

speights_bud
5th August 2005, 22:13
Well done son. :clap: You might be on the net when you are suppose to be in class and you might not have any idea what class you are in at any given time of the day but you know you are not getting my bike so at least you have learnt somthin this year. :yes:

And how do you think i can post on the net at such times???? I've learnt TWO things this year! (yay me!)

Hailwood
6th August 2005, 15:45
If anyone is interested, I have a MB100 rolling chassis with Rs125 rims sitting in the backyard..ex bucket bike..also a spare set of forks from a GS125...open to any offers...