PDA

View Full Version : Helmet compartment

tuscan
16th August 2004, 14:33
I was having a browse on trademe a wee while ago and I came across this suzuki 250 bike, which unfortunately I can't remeber the name of. Anyway, it had a compartment to put your helmet where the petrol tank normally is.

As a commuter myself I thought this seemed a great idea and was just wondering why other manufacturers don't have this feature on their bikes. :spudwhat:

I'm sure someone will be able to enlighten me as to the reason. The helmet compartment was the thing I liked and now miss most about my scooter. :scooter:

Also, anyone know if these Suzukis are any good?

rodgerd
16th August 2004, 14:37
I was having a browse on trademe a wee while ago and I came across this suzuki 250 bike, which unfortunately I can't remeber the name of. Anyway, it had a compartment to put your helmet where the petrol tank normally is.

Suzuki Across. You can find an interesting page here (http://www.hyp4r.com/mct/across/across.htm).

dhunt
16th August 2004, 14:49

As a commuter myself I thought this seemed a great idea and was just wondering why other manufacturers don't have this feature on their bikes. :spudwhat:

I'm sure someone will be able to enlighten me as to the reason. The helmet compartment was the thing I liked and now miss most about my scooter. :scooter:

Also, anyone know if these Suzukis are any good?
Yeah they are pretty good bikes. Suzuki GSX250F Across. Quite nice to ride one of my mates has one (Storm, see his profile for a pic). Petrol tank is under seat and has the inlet at the back of the bike with switch to pop it open.

David

F5 Dave
16th August 2004, 17:18
They were designed for youngsters like in Italy where bikes (& more so scooters) are fashion accessories & you didn’t want to have to carry your helmet around town. Of course most accidents happen in short trips so you should be wearing protective gear anyway so a helmet is not much more of an inconvenience.

Why don’t more do it? Well it kinda takes up space that would be nice to use for, well gas is a starter. Can only manage it on a small bike, but why compromise the weight distribution & capacity for this?

Motu
16th August 2004, 17:37
They are used for transporting motorcyle parts,maybe not 4cyl parts,but single and Vtwin heads and barrels fit in,brake parts,chain,whatever,bloody handy little things....carry your helmet so no one nicks it when getting your parts....

rodgerd
16th August 2004, 18:02
Why don’t more do it? Well it kinda takes up space that would be nice to use for, well gas is a starter. Can only manage it on a small bike, but why compromise the weight distribution & capacity for this?

The Across carries the same amount of petrol as a 250 Bandit.

Posh Tourer :P
16th August 2004, 18:33
Get yourself a top-box tuscan....If you get a GIVI, it'll cost a little more, but they's good and you can always transfer it to the next bike, just have to get a new frame made up....