PDA

View Full Version : Loose Exhaust?

nigelp
6th March 2007, 19:37
I was going for a ride over the Port Hills tonight and I noticed that my bike (Marshin Cheetah 200 - rough copy of XR200 chinese made) started to get a bit noiser. Kept riding cos I thought it was my imagination then when I get into cashmere realise that my bike has gotten louder (not my imagination). I stop, cursory check of the exhaust, all looks fine as it is pretty dirty and couldnt see the loose exhaust nut. To cut a long story short, buy the time I got home one of my nuts (the one that holds the exhaust on) has gone and the other is loose. All fine I think so I replace the nut, tighten however it is still bloody noisy! Take off both nuts, check the covering plate however notice a small piece of wire extruding from the gap between the exhaust header and the cylinder port. Pull it out, but an now thinking it may be some form of gasket. Anyone else had a similar problem? Is there a cheapish fix? Can I get some exhaust glue and put a layer around the header pipe/cylinder head and it should solve the problem. I need a quick fix as I am sitting my full next Tuesday!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

xwhatsit
6th March 2007, 22:20
How big's the piece of wire? Exhaust gaskets are usually metal rings about 3-4mm in diameter that squash down when you tighten the exhaust. Or perhaps it's torn? Perhaps some other type of exhaust gasket.

When you tighten the exhaust, are you sure it's tightening properly? I've had an exhaust nut/s come loose on my bike and I saw it happen on a CB250N too -- both times the stud had actually pulled out of the head, or loosened out of the head.

If it is just the gasket, you could probably get away with some exhaust silicone shit in place of the exhaust -- there's not a strict level of how thick the gasket must be like it would be with say the cylinder head.

nigelp
7th March 2007, 05:54
Ah yes, that will be what it is! It was about 2 mm wide and would have resembled a ring had it not been vibrated out!

Will drop into repco today and grap some exhaust cement and have a look at it tonight!

Thanks

Finn
7th March 2007, 10:51
However, if your loose exhaust managed to burn through some wiring, then you may just get away with it.

Good luck.